Looking for MARRIAGE record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for MARRIAGE record

Post by LeandraCat »

Can someone help me find a Marriage record?

Groom: ? Aita, born in Valva, Italy
Bride: Angelina/Angioliaa, born 1885 in Italy (maiden name unknown)
Groom's father was probably Antonio/Anthony, because Angelina's first born is named Anthony.
Married around 1913 (Angelina was 28)

Thanks so much!
Julia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for MARRIAGE record

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Just to clarify, is this the correct Angelina? In the 1930 census below, Angelina is a widow and she has a son, Anthony Jr. Thus, probably her late husband was Anthony/Antonio.

Social Security Death Index about Angelina Aita
Name: Angelina Aita
SSN: 146-42-5846
Last Residence: 07032 Kearny, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 22 May 1886
Died: Apr 1971
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey

1930 United States Federal Census about Angelina Aita
Name: Angelina Aita
Home in 1930: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Angelina Aita 45
Anthony Aita 16
Mary E Aita 14
Philemona V Aita 13
Charles Aita 7

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

YES! This is her! I have the 1930 Census and was wondering if her son's name was
Anthony J. or Anthony Jr....it was hard to read. So you think it was Anthony?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It is a long-shot, but here is an Antonio Aita, aged 36, married but not residing with his wife, in the 1900 census. Born 1864, arrived US 1899.

1900 United States Federal Census about Antonio Aita
Name: Antonio Aita
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
[New York, New York]
Birth Date: Jan 1864
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1899
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonio Aita 36
Pasquale Cipickio 40 [lodger]
Pombilio Ramondo 21 [lodger]

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

I have seen this too, and it was very weird to me since it says he's Married, but not living with his wife. What do you make of that?
There was an Antonio Aita from Valva, who came in 1911, but he was only 16 years old.
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

By the way, did you notice another AITA family above Antonio? I think it's Filippe Aita and his wife Filomena
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Italian men more often than not came to the US leaving their wife and/or children behind. Once they were settled, found work, and saved some money, they would send for the wife and children. Both of my grandfather's did this; on the maternal side there was a three year lapse between my grandfather's arrival and that of my grandmother and two daughters born in Italy. On my paternal side, the delay was more than ten years but that is a rather complex story.

If you think the 1930 census is the correct family, you may want to spend a few dollars to get a copy of Anthony J/Jr's New Jersey birth certificate. This will list both parent's names and ages. See http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml
Carmine

LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Right! I totally forgot about that. Angelina's 1930 census says she came to the US in 1910 and was married at 28, which is about 3 or 4 years after she came here. Her son Anthony was born in New York it says, so I thought the marriage took place in New York, too. ITALGEN website with Vital Records doesn't have a record of anyone named AITA getting married around 1913-1914 in New York. I don't know Angelina's maiden name, so I can't search the Bride records.

I think Anthony Aita, J/Jr. is still alive. My husband's grandmother says he was the former Mayor of Rochelle Park, New Jersey. I don't see a death record for him, only for his siblings, even though he is the ELDEST! I think I'll try to find his family to get some answers first and then if not, I'll send away for the Birth Certificate.

Thanks for your help!

Maybe if you are not too busy, you could see if there is a 1920 Census for Angelina Aita and her kids!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

How much, if any, of this detail do you know to be correct?

Is the 1930 census definitely the correct family? If Anthony is still alive (aged 97?), then you will have a difficult time getting his birth certificate (even if he is deceased; New York is hopeless in this regard); perhaps try one of the others.
Carmine

LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Yes, the 1930 is DEFINITELY the correct family. My husband's grandmother said HER grandfather (Michele/Michael Aita) re-married to Angelina Aita (probably his sister-in-law or cousin-in-law). My husband's grandmother also gave me the names of all the kids Angelina had (Anthony, Charles, Mary, Filomena). Angelina died in 1971. Apparently Filomena died in 1942, no idea why though. Charles died in 1990, his wife in 1993. Mary Aita (married name Barbero) also died. The only one listed in all these obituaries was ANTHONY Aita. One obituary said he was in Rochelle Park and another said he was in Vermont.
There is an Anthony Aita living in Vermont, according to the White Pages online.