What is my next move?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

What is my next move?

Post by rancelli »

:cry: I just got a form to fill out for National Archives in Washington, DC and they want as much details as possible for them to do the search. The only problem is I have very little info to give them. Plus in the letter it also says that the index to NYC only covers 1820-1846 and 1897-1943. My great grandfather came over in 1891 and my great grandmother in 1894 according to census records. I know there were other ports but I just get the feeling they arrived in NY. I can't just write to a town in Italy for records because I don't know where the heck they came from in Italy. Would my local county in the state of PA have any records of Naturalization? I'm like really bummed out because I can't find any of my great grandparents at Ellis Island or Castle Garden. The person I did find was a Franesco Buccella married to Angela Rosa Mastroberti but I've only knew the last name to be Buccelli. The guy did end up settling in the same part of town where the Buccelli's originated from. Very very small community. I know the 1920 census it has him listed as widowed. Sometime between 1910-1919 she passed away. Her youngest child I believe was born in 1914. Crazy thing is I can't find any death record on this woman. I don't know if she died in PA or in Italy. Should I just take a gamble and find out who this Francesco guy is? How much info will I get? Will it have a listing of his siblings, kids, country and town of origin if he was Naturalized? He came over numerous times but the latest date says 1905 and it looks like he went to see his brother Luigi. I already posted this info about Francesco being from Pertosa around that time (1905) but some of my family members said they came from northern Italy and some say Abruzzi. They're all driving me crazy! LOL I really want to find out where they came from, but it looks like I may never know. Any advice on where else to look? I don't mean to be a pain in the butt, I'm just having a very difficult time finding out anything. It's like they never existed.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Re: What is my next move?

Post by TriciaFierro »

Hello! Which county in PA did your great-grandfather live? I have gotten Naturalization papers from Berks County, PA quite easily. I'm unfamiliar with who exactly you are looking for so would you mind replying back with what you do know for sure? First and last name, date of birth, death, spouse, children's names, etc. Feel free to add anything you think "might" be accurate, but starting with absolute facts is the easiest way to start in order to get accurate results. I'll do what I can to help. Thanks!
- Ticia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

I would like to find out what part of Italy my great grandparents came from. Thanks for your help.

Western PA in Lawrence County.
Luigi Buccelli Born in 1862 died in 1927
Married to Margaret, OR Margarita, Margherita her maiden name was Marcigliano. Married name Buccelli
She was born in 1866 died in 1942...I was told she was from Caserta Italy but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Had the following children

Pasquale
Josephine
James
Domenic
Russell
Bruno
Mary
Angelo
Carmella

I know Luigi had a brother named Frank. The guy I found on EllisIsland.org, his name was Francesco Buccella. Similar spellings and he settled in the same area where my great grandparents were living at that time. On the 1905 manifest sheet it looks like it says "going to brother Luigi in Hillsville, PA". That's where my great grandfather first lived at when he came to the US. VERY VERY small community. He worked in the stone quarry industry. I know for a fact his brother Frank had the following children. Victor, Domenic, Joseph, Marian. As far as the mother I have no idea. The Francesco Buccella guy from Ellis search was married to Angela Rosa Mastroberti. His family was not listed in the 1910 census and by 1920 she had already passed away. If I had that 1910 census that would help me out because I would be able to make a match with the woman and the children who were born at that time. We always knew the surname as Buccelli instead of "Buccella". The name was changed to Butchelle and Butchelli years later after coming over to the US.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

I did find an old obituary of Franks son Domenick Butchelli. It says L'Aquila Italy but it still doesn't say what town. I know that's in Abruzzi?? Even that doesn't tell me much ;)

Oh and Frank was born in Dec. 17, 1871. I'm guessing birth name was Francesco Buccelli or Buccella. I wonder if the state of L'Aquila could look up these men? :?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

POSSIBLE 1910 Census for Francesco Buccelli (misspelled as Baccelli), age 40 (puts birth about 1871), married. Living in Lackawana PA, working as a coal miner, immigration date is listed as 1907...
He is probably boarding close to where there was work...

Maybe he was married in Italy and wife had not arrived yet???

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is the manifest you found for Francesco Buccella dated April 10, 1904?

On the above arrival date in NY on SS Koenig Albert is listed (but possibly crossed out)
Francesco Buccella, 32; wife Angela Rosa Mastroroberti, 24; and son Domenico, 3y 3m.
They are listed as coming from Pertosa, and going to Wampuan (sp?), Penn.

They were also listed as passengers (and crossed out - so did not sail) on the manifest for Nov. 25, 1903, on Prinzess Irene; and Dec 3, 1903 on Lahn.

WELL....

Looks like after several attempts to sail with his family, Francesco may have traveled without them on 12 June 1905. It looks to be the same Francesco, coming from Pertosa, and going to his brother Luigi in Hillsville, PA :-)

Pertosa is in province of Salerno in the Campania region....

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Don't know if you already have this...

Death Certificate of Domenico Buccelli, son of Luigi Buccelli and Maria Marchiano... Domenico died in Ohio in 1952

Name: Dominic Or Domenico Buccelli
Titles & Terms:
Death Date: 20 May 1952
Death Place: Cleve. Hts., Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Birth Date: 06 Jan 1899
Estimated Birth Year:
Birthplace: PA.
Death Age: 53 years
Marital Status:
Race or Color: Caucasian
Street Address:
Residence:
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Cemetery Name:
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name: Luigi Buccelli
Father's Title & Terms:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Marge Marchi?No
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Mother's Birthplace:
Film Number: 2246271
Digital Folder Number: 4109421
Image Number: 00468
Certificate Number: 30340
Collection: Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953

Click once to enlarge, and again to magnify.

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Looks like Tessa found solid leads/facts for you. Do these look like what you were searching for?
Tessa, you rock! And you're so quick :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

I think the census for 1910 is wrong. Lakawana is north eastern part of PA. My family is from the western part near the Ohio line. That death certificate is correct though. That would be my great uncle. If I was to order that manifest would it give me more detailed information like what town he was from? Like I said my family keeps saying he's from the Abruzzi area. Maybe he relocated to Pertosa for work for a short period of time before coming over?? What exactly does it mean did not sail out? Thank you both for the help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

No need to "order" the manifest... here it is

Francesco Buccella is on line 13...

It is interesting to note that the name BUCCELA has a heavy concentration in the Abruzzo Region... While the BUCCELLI is found more in the Campania Region, and in the north.

Enter the surname at "cognome" at this site to see present day distribution :-)

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/

(Hi Tricia! :-) )

T.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello again,
In an earlier thread http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic21624.html
I suggested you write to Pertosa.

My suggestion now would be to rent some film from the Family History Center.
http://tinyurl.com/3bcvjsz

If you can find a marriage record for Francesco, there might be a notation
on it about the demise of Angela Rosa. I agree with Tessa about Francesco sailing alone and I think his wife was still in Italy since I believe he would have been noted as traveling to see his wife.
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

rancelli wrote:I did find an old obituary of Franks son Domenick Butchelli. It says L'Aquila Italy but it still doesn't say what town. I know that's in Abruzzi?? Even that doesn't tell me much ;)

Oh and Frank was born in Dec. 17, 1871. I'm guessing birth name was Francesco Buccelli or Buccella. I wonder if the state of L'Aquila could look up these men? :?
L'Aquila Italy is both a comune and province what I would do is check the the Family History Library for birth records (NATI) since the obit says that it would only be a $5.75 investment for the film
FHL locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering films
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
reading italian records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Film available from FHL for comune L'Aquila province L'Aquila Italy THERE ARE TWO PAGES
Page 1
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +L%27Aquil++
Page 2
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +L%27Aquil++
Its a start maybe you'll have some good luck
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rancelli wrote:I think the census for 1910 is wrong. Lakawana is north eastern part of PA. My family is from the western part near the Ohio line. That death certificate is correct though. That would be my great uncle. If I was to order that manifest would it give me more detailed information like what town he was from? Like I said my family keeps saying he's from the Abruzzi area. Maybe he relocated to Pertosa for work for a short period of time before coming over?? What exactly does it mean did not sail out? Thank you both for the help.
This site explains Manifest Markings... :-)
See the second section of this page about "lined out" names.
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/left/

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Quick recap of information...

Domenico Buccelli(a), son of LUIGI, was born 1899 in Pennsylvania - so Luigi immigrated before 1899... from Abruzzo region according to family legend.

Domenico Buccella(i), son of FRANCESCO, was born about 1900 in Italy - and we think he and his mother did not travel with Francesco in 1905 (after several manifests showing their intended departure). Francesco left from residence in Pertosa, Salerno, Campania.

Need to find manifest for Angela Rosa Mastroroberti - IF she ever came to US -
Or for her son Domenico Buccella -

Need to find manifest for Luigi Buccelli - prior to 1899.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:No need to "order" the manifest... here it is

Francesco Buccella is on line 13...

It is interesting to note that the name BUCCELA has a heavy concentration in the Abruzzo Region... While the BUCCELLI is found more in the Campania Region, and in the north.

Enter the surname at "cognome" at this site to see present day distribution
:-)

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/

(Hi Tricia! :-) )

T.
Using the above site...

Entering the name "Mastroberti" shows a great concentration in the Campania Region...

T.