Not sure if Ill be ready for my appt in a month!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Not sure if Ill be ready for my appt in a month!!

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I ordered my documents over a month ago from my state vital records via vitalchek and paid the extra money to get them super quick. They were supposed to be delivered to me in no more than 3 weeks. Its been 5 weeks and all they can tell me is my order is still "processing". I have no idea when they are coming and Im not sure if I can send them out for translations and seals all in a month and have them back in time. What was everybodys turn around when working within NJ?Ive waited 13 months for this appt and cant believe I might not be able to go because the government is taking twice as long as stated. Yes, I could have started the process sooner but was on the fence and didnt have the money yet:?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Not sure if Ill be ready for my appt in a month!!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Alicia.

Turnaround for apostilles is usually very quick, but many states are increasing fees and services are falling behind due to budget cuts. If you are anywhere near Trenton, you might be able to get walk-in service. See http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue ... lles.shtml for more info.

Worst case, take photocopies of your documents with you to the appointment and explain that you are waiting for the apostilles and/or translations and offer to mail them in or drop them off as soon as they are available. The photocopies should be enough for the consular official to give you a yea/nay on the completeness of your application.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Photocopies? Thank goodness!! I thought I was done and would have to re-schedule. I called Trenton vital records and they were useless. They just kept saying its processing giving me no indication of shipping. Im glad I paid the extra money for a quick delivery for NOTHING!I might even consider the drive to Trenton if they do walk in. But if photocopies will suffice until I mail them the real deal, thats even better! Thank Carmine !!
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Just thought I'd let you know, it took VitalChek not ONE but TWO months to get my records to me. I paid WAY more than I would have if I just wrote the PA Health Dept. directly, and my guess is it would have taken less time. And in the end, the certificate was virtually useless, so it ended up being a complete waste :?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I personally HATE Vital Chek. Over the last year and a half Ive used them theyve never answered a single email, wait time on the phone is about a half hour and they are uselss when they answered, their website doesnt work right, etc. Its just a horrible company. I ended up calling NJ vital records to get some answers. They were the ones who said its processing. They told me this AFTER they tried to convince me twice their is no record of my birth on file (rolling eyes!!)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I personally HATE Vital Chek. Over the last year and a half Ive used them theyve never answered a single email, wait time on the phone is about a half hour and they are uselss when they answered, their website doesnt work right, etc. Its just a horrible company. I ended up calling NJ vital records to get some answers. They were the ones who said its processing. They told me this AFTER they tried to convince me twice their is no record of my birth on file (rolling eyes!!)
Well, I know that I will NEVER use VitalChek again after this. It seems easier to order online, but it's not at all, and it's MUCH more expensive.

Lucky for me, I'll be up in PA for a few days at the end of the month, so I'll just get all the certs. I need when I'm there. Doesn't the NJ Health Dept. allow walk ins?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

They do have walk ins and I got some certificates that way months ago.I ordered the last of them back in April and those are the ones Im waiting for.I ordered 5 with expedited shipping.So I either wait or go in person and eat the$155 sent to vital chek!
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

In my experience, VitlChek is a borderline scam. I started placing an order with them, but balked at giving them my Social Security number and never completed the order. They billed me anyway! It was not a large amount - probably under $15. I waited for over 20 minutes for an intractable customer service rep and was told that that was their required "processing fee" (charge to use the website???) Don't to give them your credit card info unless you are definitely want to place an order (and I never saw a total of what I was paying, either).

My mom ordered her birth certificate from them and they only sent an extract. However when I wrote a complaint letter to NYS, they immediately sent the complete long form. I have never had such a snappy response from them, so it seems like this is the way they work with VitalChek.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Karen,
I'm in the same boat. Parents' appointments are in a month and a half- and my amendments are still in process in Trenton. I was further alarmed when the Division of Revenue (the NJ state agency in charge of Apostilles) informed me of the 15-day turnaround for Apostilles. The walk-in for what they call an "8 and 1/2 hr turnaround" ie, next day, is $15 extra per cert (on top of the initial $25/cert fee). For same day, they want $1,000 extra per cert. What?? Clearly, they want to discourage same-day requests...
After months of conflicting information from DoR staff, I also confirmed that they will not Apostille municipal documents. Oy. Of the eight documents I need Apostilled, four are municipal, and one - a marriage license application - isn't even available from the state at all. I'm going to try to get it exemplified by the director of the Newark City archives (where I got it), then certified by the Newark City clerk. Since it is Newark we're talking about (and not a tiny town w/an unknown registrar), I'm hoping DoR Apostilles it anyway. It is the substitute for a long-form marriage cert of my maternal GF and GM, which neither Newark nor the state has at all - they just have the short form.
So, at the end of the day, you do have the option of dropping them off and picking them up next day if you actually get the certs in time for your appointment. And if you do go to Trenton Vital Records to appeal for your certs in-person, do let us know how that works out. I may have to do it myself, but I currently live abt 3 hrs from there.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

Personally I had a great experience with vital chek, my appointment was exactly 1 week away and I still needed my parents marriage certificate, so I placed the order and upgraded to express delivery and I had the certificate in my hands 4 days later, just in time to apostille and go to the consulate... just my two cents. I can't imagine why it takes so long in certain cases..?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Just an update...still no word on any of my documents and vitalchek keeps ignoring my emails. My appt is in a month and Im missing 5 docs, no seals and no translations. Looks like Im in deep crap!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Have you tried going down to Trenton and requesting them in person?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

No Im a few hours away. I did call and they said "its processing"..thats it and that was days ago. I was supposed to get my order the end of April. Plus I already paid $155 for the documents. Im just totally disgusted at this point
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Oy. And do you know what's going to be on the certs when you get them? Ie, are you confident you won't have to amend them? That's a whole other ball of wax (and time).
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

The whole thing is a mess and no Im not sure what will be on them.They are my parents and childrens so they should be fine. I emailed them several times and they keep ignoring me so Ive filed a complaint with the better business bureau.