NYC Consulate- Which Form do I fill out.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
diamantegrezzo

NYC Consulate- Which Form do I fill out.

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help. I have my appointment next month regarding my Italian Citizenship. I am in the process of having everything translated and all that jazz. But now I am confused as to which form I fill out. I am claiming citizenship through my Maternal Grandmother. Could someone please help me figure out which category I fall into. I want to make sure I have everything in order. Again, I am claiming through my Maternal Grandmother. Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated. Wish me luck.

Jessica
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NYC Consulate- Which Form do I fill out.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

At the very bottom of this page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... uest#Forms --

If your either your grandmother or mother (father?) is still living, she will need to fill out Form 3 and either come with you to the consulate and sign the form in front of the consular official, or sign the form in front of a Notary Public and then have the form notarized.

If your either your grandmother or mother (father?) is deceased, you will need to fill out Form 4 on their behalf and then sign it in front of the consular official during your appointment.

You should fill out Form 1 for yourself - the consualte may or may not actually take this form, but it doesn't hurt to fill it out.

You will defintiely need to fill out Form 2 for yourself.

You are either a Category 3 or Category 4 person, depending on whether you are going through your mother or your father. It is imperative that your grandmother's child (your father or mother) was born on or after January 1, 1948 - prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only by the father.

Have I answered your questions?

Good luck!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Thank you! I am going through my Mother's Mother. My mother was born in 1952, my grandmother wasn't naturalized until 1972. I am just too nervous to think straight. You have answered my question. I guess I just have to sit there and figure out which is which. Would you happen to know if I need my father's birth certificate for proceedings?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The general history with the NYC consulate, including my own application which was there in 2008, is that they only want direct-line documents. Thus:

* your own birth (plus marriage, if applicable) certificate
* your mother's birth, marriage, and if applicable, death certificates
* your grandmother's birth, marriage, and if applicable, death certificates
* proof of grandmother's date of naturalization

If you are married, they will probably want your husband's birth certificate as well.

It is possible that the consulate will ask for your father's and grandfather's birth and death certificates, but NYC generally does not do so.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I ordered it just in case. I am not sure if I am going to get it in time. I am reading all the Vital Check horror stories. Currently I have everything I need, all I need to do is have everything translated and apostillized, which is not going to take much longer. I think my nerves are just getting to me. Thank you so much for your help. I will just fill out more, rather than less.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Another question about forms- Do you need to have form 4 for all deceased persons in the blood line, or just the deceased bloodline from Italy?

Also, do you need form 3 for any/all living persons in bloodline? (or is it only for living descendants from Italy?)
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

diamantegrezzo wrote:I ordered it just in case. I am not sure if I am going to get it in time. I am reading all the Vital Check horror stories. Currently I have everything I need, all I need to do is have everything translated and apostillized, which is not going to take much longer. I think my nerves are just getting to me. Thank you so much for your help. I will just fill out more, rather than less.
I've used Vital Check 4-5 times and haven't had any problems. I hope I'm not jinxing myself!
Roberta
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Thank you for the hope Roberta. Roughly how long did it take for you to receive your documents?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

rgaetano wrote:Another question about forms- Do you need to have form 4 for all deceased persons in the blood line, or just the deceased bloodline from Italy?

Also, do you need form 3 for any/all living persons in bloodline? (or is it only for living descendants from Italy?)
Form 4 for any deceased person in the direct bloodline.

Form 3 for any living person in the direct bloodline with the exception of yourself (covered by Form 2).

Forms 3 and 4 apply to all persons in the direct bloodline regardless of where they were born.
Carmine

rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

thanks carmine
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

diamantegrezzo wrote:Thank you for the hope Roberta. Roughly how long did it take for you to receive your documents?
Probably between 3 and 4 weeks. I just placed another order yesterday. Good Luck. Roberta
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Also, after you place your order, you get a confirmation email that includes an order number and an order pin. Just above these two items is a Check the Status of Your Order link. I also just use regular mail so 3 to 4 weeks is fine; unless of course you are in a rush. Roberta
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I have another question on the forms. Should I use my grandmother's maiden name, or should I use her married name?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Always maiden names. Italians do not have the legal concept of married names.
Carmine

diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Good thing I asked! My appointment is on the 28th of June. :) Wish me luck! Thank you, thank you, thank you!