Comune of Chieti - Can't find a birth record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Comune of Chieti - Can't find a birth record?

Post by tomassid »

I am having difficulty locating my grandmother's birth record. Her mother came over in 1911, listing the Comune of Chieti has their home town, my grandmother was 8mths old. I found both her parent's birth records and their marriage records on the FHC film in the Comune of Chieti. The FHC records end 1900 so I wrote to the Comune of Chieti and they said they have no birth record for my grandmother. Any research strategies you could share would be appreciated.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Comune of Chieti - Can't find a birth record?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Sorry for the late reply to this thread.

There were several different passenger manifest forms in use in the early 1900's; some of them list the "Last Residence" on the left-hand sheet and the Place of Birth in the last column of the right-hand sheet.

Which manifest form do you have? Are you certain it says Chieti and not something else? If you give me a pointer to the manifest (name, ship, date of arrival, etc), I would like to take a look at it.

It is certainly possible that your great-grandmother was born in Chieti but your grandmother was born elsewhere.

Was your grandmother still alive in the late 1930's or beyond? If so, she would have applied for a social security number and that application may possibly list her correct place of birth. See http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm for information on how to request a copy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Comune of Chieti - Can't find a birth record?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You might also look into whether your grandmother or her parents ever became US citizens through naturalization. If her father (or mother) did so, he would have had to list the names, dates, and place of birth of each of his children (granted, may simply say "Italy" but not always).

If your grandmother naturalized as an adult in her own right, she would have had to list her place of birth. Alternatively, if she lived into the 1940's (?) she would have had to register as an Alien, once again giving her place of birth.

If you would care to share some names and birthdates, I will poke around and see if I can find anything and/or offer suggestions on how you might locate some of these documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)