Locating living Viola relatives in Novara di Sicilia, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lruggiano

Locating living Viola relatives in Novara di Sicilia, Sicily

Post by lruggiano »

My dad's father, Carmelo Ruggiano left his family in Syracuse, NY and was never heard from again. My father had been told that he had died. Recently, we found that he had returned to Sicily and settled in Novara di Sicilia where he remarried and had another family.
I have found the following: Carmelo Ruggiano (Viola) was born on 16 July 1887 in Castroreale. He was the son of Salvatore Viola and Teresa Randazzo (born about 1857). Salvatore was the son of Giuseppe Viola and Venera Pettinato. I also found that Carmelo married Carmela Campo in Novara di Sicilia on 11 August 1924. I do not know when or where he died because the microfilmed civil vital records do not continue beyond 1910. His marriage information was actually appended to his birth record. We have written to Novara di Siclia to obtain a copy of his marriage record and to see if they have his death information as well as information on any children. This was over 4 months ago with no response. I am travelling there next month with my mother and we are trying to meet with these children/grandchildren/relatives. How can I identify these folks and contact them? Thank you for any help you can give me?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Locating living Viola relatives in Novara di Sicilia, Si

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to the anagrafe office in City Hall and ask them to check for his death record.
They Might tell you who his siblings were and where to find them. I hope you speak some Italian. If not go with a prepared written request that they can read and understand.
If they don't help you find siblings and relatives, contact the priest or sacristan.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Locating living Viola relatives in Novara di Sicilia, Si

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Italian telephone directory does not list any Viola's in Novara di Sicilia but five within a range of about 15 km (about 10 miles). See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... cilia&l=en
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)