immigration to new orleans....question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: immigration to new orleans....question

Post by mfjp »

Hey guys... there's lots to absorb - need to catch up with all this info... if a census record should be linked just give me the details if you wish...

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Mfjp,
We have been trying to locate Francis Lombardo Graffagnino on census,
who also has a daughter Francis, married to a Piazza, as well as grandchildren named for her....... :?
Family in Louisiana, but relocating to Texas by abt. 1915.......
BIG family, with Francis and husband Antonio's children repeating names
with their own children.....( Antonio may have previous marriage to Cecilia Clemente, speculation......)
I believe she has been found on the 1910 and 1930 census :?: but not the 1920.
Antonio died in 1921 :?:
and Francis in 1949 :?:
Some of their childrens names are:
Peter, Tony, Francis, Stefano, Nicolina, and Carmilo.........
1910 census states 9 children/6 living.............

confused yet...... 8O I am....... :P

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

1920 La:

GRAFFAGNINO ANTHONY 40 M W ITAL LA ORLEANS 14-WD; 2-PCT; NEW ORLEANS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO CARNARD 34 M W ITAL LA TERREBONNE 8-WD; DONNER; DONNER 1920

GRAFFAGNINO DOMINICK 50 M W SICI LA ORLEANS 12-WD; 4-PCT; NEW ORLEANS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO FRANCIS 47 F W ITAL LA ORLEANS 10-WD; 6-PCT; NEW ORLEANS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO FRANK 32 M W ITAL LA ORLEANS 10-WD; 6-PCT; NEW ORLEANS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO FRANK 36 M W ITAL LA ST LANDRY 4-WD; OPELOUSAS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO MARY 28 F W ITAL LA ORLEANS 12-WD; 4-PCT; NEW ORLEANS 1920

GRAFFAGNINO TONY 38 M W ITAL LA ST LANDRY 1-WD; OPELOUSAS 1920

1910 La:

GRAFFAGNINO CARMILO 65 M W ITAL LA ST LANDRY 1-WD POLICE JURY 1910

GRAFFAGNINO JACK 30 M W ITAL LA ST LANDRY 1-WD OPELOUSAS 1910

GRAFFAGNINO TONY 31 M W ITAL LA ORLEANS 14-WD NEW ORLEANS 1910

1930 Texas:

GRAFFAGNINO G 47 M W ITAL TX JEFFERSON PORT ARTHUR 1930

GRAFFAGNINO STEVE 41 M W ITAL TX JEFFERSON PORT ARTHUR 1930

1920 Texas:

GRAFFAGNINO G 50 M W ITAL TX JEFFERSON 1-WD BEAUMONT 1920

GRAFFAGNINO STEPHEN 31 M W ITAL TX JEFFERSON 2-WD PORT ARTHUR 1920

Still not sure how to link census images........ :oops:

wldspirit
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Don't know how you managed to sum it all up so well, Wldspirit, but you did! Wow
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

And I'm pretty positive that her mother frances is on the 1930 census in Pt. Arthur Texas living with her son G Graffagnino. The information i have on him is that he married Rosa Roccaforte and kids:
Rosa, Stefano, Francesco, Antonino, Dorotea, Saastiano (percy), Francesca, Gioacchino, Paolo, Salvatore, Carmelo, Caterina, Nicolina. So they do match up.
Here's the census for 1930-Giocchino's ...right?? (born about 1883)

Name: Frances Graffagnino Age: 72 Estimated birth year: abt 1858 Relation to head-of-house:   Mother Home in 1930: Port Arthur, Jefferson, Texas Image source:  Year: 1930; Census Place: Port Arthur, Jefferson, Texas; Roll: 2362; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 1124.0.

http://img124.echo.cx/img124/4333/giocchino4gh.jpg

Wldspirit... :P How to link... in a nut shell... 8O

Go to ImageShack web site... register... come on... register!!! you can do it!!:wink:

BROWSE - find your file on desktop... when you do - select it -then hit the HOST button.... then it will give you a choice of links... go the last one... direct link to image - copy and paste the http or url... piece of cake :lol:

for long winded step by step instructions... with pics...
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2987
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Essgee........
Mfjp.....that is the family in 1930........and thanks for the tip on images....
I will copy off the long winded version just to be safe!!!!
wldspirit :D
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

mfjp wrote:
And I'm pretty positive that her mother frances is on the 1930 census in Pt. Arthur Texas living with her son G Graffagnino. The information i have on him is that he married Rosa Roccaforte and kids:
Rosa, Stefano, Francesco, Antonino, Dorotea, Saastiano (percy), Francesca, Gioacchino, Paolo, Salvatore, Carmelo, Caterina, Nicolina. So they do match up.
Here's the census for 1930-Giocchino's ...right?? (born about 1883)

Name: Frances Graffagnino Age: 72 Estimated birth year: abt 1858 Relation to head-of-house:   Mother Home in 1930: Port Arthur, Jefferson, Texas Image source:  Year: 1930; Census Place: Port Arthur, Jefferson, Texas; Roll: 2362; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 1124.0.

http://img124.echo.cx/img124/4333/giocchino4gh.jpg

Well, this complicates things a tad. On this census above, Francis is listed at age 72 and arriving in 1888....which makes sense. This page was taken on April 2, 1930. Now, if you go to ED 123-58, page 2A, same census but taken on April 7, 1930...taken some 5 days after the other one, you will see Francis listed there, age 72, arrived 1892...as some of the other census info suggests...and living with her daughter, Francis Piazza.... Also in Port Arthur, Jeffereson, Texas.......

Now, did she move in that 5 day period? Or is there more then one Francis listed? Could it be that Francis and Cecilia Lombardi are one and the same person? What did we know and when did we know it??!!!! :)

Well, that's my little wrench in the workings for this evening? Boy, this is confusing.........and sooooo much fun!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

OH NO............. 8O

wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

and I found a Filomena Graffagnino (born 1862 - widow in 1923) manifest who's off to her son Giocchino's home on N. Colborne St. NO, Louisiana...

ahhhhhhhhh!! but that's ok.... Her husband's surname was Schilleci....

What's interesting here is that she was in the US from 1888-1885 as on manifest...

I am finding that there are a few Graffagnino's and a few Lombardos from Contessa Entillina, Sicily... wouldn't even hurt to check out the towns in this area for other clues... people from this town ended up going to Louisiana...

Essgee, looks like we'll all be using a wrench this evening... and yes, this is fun.... now to get one more coffee...

I think I will stick to the manifests... for now...

mfjp
tmajor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tmajor »

essgee,
can you clarify the info you found on the 1930 census for francis piazza? I can't find what you're talking about with her mom living with her. The page info you provided was for G. Graffagnino.

I didn't make it to the library saturday...had an emergency come up and had to help a friend out. But I am going for sure tomorrow night, so I'm trying to get everything together before I go so I know what to look for.

Thanks. I can't believe how much everyone is helping look into this family for me. It truly is a search!

Trisha
tmajor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tmajor »

Ok, i finally found the other census you were talking about and I have no idea why they would both have mom living with them, unless she was going back and forth between households? But I did search and find peter on the 1920 and 1930 census and he is listed as coming over in 1891 I believe. So when i go to the library today I'm going to try and find that because I think he and his mom Francis came over together because he was born in Italy, but not on the ship manifest with the other children.
Trisha
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Trisha,
I came across this site by accident, but I thought it may be of use to you since your family was in New Orleans at one time. Perhaps you have already seen it..........

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/or ... age-gi.htm

it is not for immigration.....but a marriage index........
wldspirit
alana75

Post by alana75 »

I was born and raised in Port Arthur, Texas. My grandmother is Camilla Graffagnino and my great grandmother is Josephine Graffagnino (maiden name Todora). Anyway, the Graffagnino geneology is mapped out. Check it out at www.graffagnino.com
On the site, you will see where there are several branches of the Graffagnino clan. The site is pretty easy to follow and has birthdates. You will probably be able to put the pieces together after looking at the site. Hope this helps!
tmajor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tmajor »

Thanks Alanna. I've already used that site a lot. I'm a descendant in family F and do know the line back on one side, but the problem is noone has done the genealogy on my line down. And the other problem is that one of the Graffagninos, I don't know where she fits in yet. We recently just found out that she was a Graffagnino too. So they were cousins of some sort. And some of the dates are wrong too on my line. I tried to email the site owner about it and never got a response. But thank you again. I'd love to talk to you more if you would like to email me. tmajor@gameover.net. Which line are you in?