chicago circut court naturalization decree

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corrado
Elite
Elite

chicago circut court naturalization decree

Post by corrado »

I found the original decree in the cook county records office. The problem is they will not issue a cerified copy. They told me I had to contact homeland security for this. Where do I write? How much to send. I have the index number.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: chicago circut court naturalization decree

Post by johnnyonthespot »

corrado wrote:I found the original decree in the cook county records office. The problem is they will not issue a cerified copy. They told me I had to contact homeland security for this. Where do I write? How much to send. I have the index number.
Wait a minute! I thought you were done?? Citizenship recognized??

Anyway, in a similar situation with the Westchester County, NY Archives, the archivist sent the naturalization documents directly to the county clerk's office where the clerk affixed a statement that they were "true copies of official records", signed, and embossed a raised seal.

Maybe inquire at the Cook County clerk's office and see if they can do the same.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Yup I am done, I am helping a cousin. And not the county clerk will not do that.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If the naturalization was after September 27, 1906, then USCIS will have copies. For reasons which elude me, it seems that consulates do not require USCIS copies to be certified.

Start here https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/ and go directly to "Request a specific file by file number in a Record Request without Request Case ID". Fill in the order form and when you get to the part about which records, choose "C-File". When entering the certificate number (which should be on the docs you already have), put the letter "C" in front of the 7-digit number.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)