Look for my roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
coquette

Look for my roots

Post by coquette »

My grandfather, Donato Scinto moved to the US from Castel Franco around ~1906 around the age of 15 or 16. My grandmother, Maria Francesca Siriani came to the US with an uncle around ~1914 and was from Vasto. My great-grandfather also came to the states: Antonio Donato Scinto. I know I have cousins in Bridgeport, CT and in Italy from the Scinto and the Suriani side........ anyone ever hear of these surnames?
Thanks
Linda
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Look for my roots

Post by brujaojos »

coquette wrote:My grandfather, Donato Scinto moved to the US from Castel Franco around ~1906 around the age of 15 or 16. My grandmother, Maria Francesca Siriani came to the US with an uncle around ~1914 and was from Vasto. My great-grandfather also came to the states: Antonio Donato Scinto. I know I have cousins in Bridgeport, CT and in Italy from the Scinto and the Suriani side........ anyone ever hear of these surnames?
Thanks
Linda
Hi Linda,

The information below is from Ellis Island for Donato Scinto coming into the USA. He is coming with his mother and going to see his father, Antonio, in PA.

First Name: Donato
Last Name: Scinto
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Castel Mesc., Benevento
Date of Arrival: August 15, 1907
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Prinzess Irene
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0014

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for the town of Vasto. The film costs about $3.50 a roll. The link below is the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

I didn't find Maria Francesca yet in Ellis Island, maybe someone else has better luck than me.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
coquette

Post by coquette »

OH my goodness........... that is my grandfather........... any idea when his father came here????

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Would Maria's birthdate be around 1899? What was her mother's name?

Also, if you know the birthdate of Antonio Donato is, please mention. Do you have any idea when he came to the USA?

mfjp
coquette

Post by coquette »

I am not home to check grams birthday.........

I don't know Antonio Donato Scinto's BD - but I do know he came here before 8/15/1907 and went to Pittsburgh, PA; at this time in his life he was married and had children in It.
coquette

Post by coquette »

Grams birthday was around 1898. Here is the US, she went by Frances. But, I believe her real name was Maria Francesca - and her mother was Filomena Iarussi - but she never came to the states; neither did her father. The story goes that she came here at the age of 16 with 'relatives'. That is all I really know...... and that her sisters, Anna and Emilia also came here, but not at the same time.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hope this is close enough... if not .. we'll just keep looking! :P

First Name: Maria Francesca
Last Name: Suriani
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Vasto, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 01, 1918
Age at Arrival:  19y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Giuseppe Verdi
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0010

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0017060049&

Please note the passenger below Maria Francesca... The name that has been crossed out - could it be Iarussi??

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:Hope this is close enough... if not .. we'll just keep looking! :P

First Name: Maria Francesca
Last Name: Suriani
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Vasto, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 01, 1918
Age at Arrival:  19y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Giuseppe Verdi
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0010

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0017060049&

Please note the passenger below Maria Francesca... The name that has been crossed out - could it be Iarussi??

mfjp
Hi Mfjp,

Great find!!! The person taking the information must have gotten confused and was going to write Maria Francesca's mother's name down and realized that that woman was really the mother to Vincenzo DiRenzo whose name is above Maria Francesca's.

The good thing about the manifest is that it list's Maria Francesca's Father as Francesco which means he was still alive in 1918 in Vasto. Plus its a big clue in finding Maria Francesca's Birth Act in Vasto.

I'm still searching the census. Will keep you posted.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
coquette

Post by coquette »

*WOW*............ I think you are right. I know Maria's sister, Emilia married a DiRenzo....... this is amazing..........
Thank you
coquette

Post by coquette »

Am looking for Luigi Direnzo - would of came to the US before March of 1918. I don't think he came through Ellis Island.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I don't think he came through Ellis Island.
why?

Also, could you tell us more about him? Year of birth etc...

mfjp

p.s. just checked the Boston Harbor manifests... nothing there with the exact spelling...
coquette

Post by coquette »

I believe when Francesco Suriani, Maria DiRenzo (her aunt) and Vincenzo DiRenzo (cousin) came to the US - they stayed with Luigi who was Maria's husband. Maria was born about 1878; I would guess Luigi was born a few years before.
Francesco had two sisters who came to the US - Anna and Emilia - but I cannot find them entering the US either. Emilia did marry a DiRenzo - but I don't know his first hame. I do know that they settled in Buffalo, NY.

It has been so frustrating trying to find family and connections. I hope to leave my children a family tree someday - so they will know where they have come from while they look towards tomorrow.
Thanks!