Help with 1815 marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Help with 1815 marriage record

Post by Congemi »

I am hoping someone will be able to help me in deciphering parts of this marriage entry of my 3rd great grandparents Nov 18 1815; lower left column entry and upper right column
I know the grooms name is Michael Cancemi the son of Gabriele and Margherita thou I can
not determine her maiden name.
The bride is Agatha Bosano daughter of Hieronimo/Hieronimus and Mathea/Mattea Frisco/DiFrisco
but am curious about the word or name appearing to be spelled “Quin” after Agatha’s name.

Also are there any other names that might be of interest to me.

Help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Tana
PS new to this Image shack service.... keeping fingers crossed that one of the links work. They are the same image
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9920 ... bosano.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9920 ... bosano.jpg
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help with 1815 marriage record

Post by PippoM »

I find it hard to read. Anyway, parents are listed with the same surname, and names listed after the names of people mentioned, seem to be the places they are from.
Where is this record from?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

Pippo,
Thank you for responding. This is a church record from Sezione di Falsomiele, Palermo, Sicily. The family resided in Villagrazia.
I guess what I am most interested in is Michael's mother's maiden name as I have other documentation for his father as well as Agatha/Agata parents. It is my understanding that "et" following a married woman's name is followed by her maiden name at least in the church records that I have found
I have uploaded what I hope is a larger image that you may be better able to read.
I appreciate your time.
Tana
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... riage.jpg/
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Congemi wrote:I guess what I am most interested in is Michael's mother's maiden name as I have other documentation for his father as well as Agatha/Agata parents.
My guess is: Margherita Cusumano (MIchele's mother) and Marta Frisco (Agata's mother).
L.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

Lucap,
Thank you for viewing the document. In trying to extract the facts I compared the writing to other entries on the page and that particular priest's "C" seemed to be consistent but I believe you are right about the surname being Cusumano. This document is the only one I have found and probably will find that gives Michele's mother's maiden name as his death certificate only provides her given name. Apparently by 1841 no one remembered who she was.
Thank you again for your help.
Tana
PS Agata's mother was Mattea; from Agata's baptism rec., marriage & death
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

That's probable. In the latin genitive form Marta and Mattea are very similar: Marthae and Matthae (or Mattheae), so I can't say if the third letter is a "r" or a "t". Maybe it can be Mattea.
Also, to verify Michele's mother's surname, at this point, you have only a chance: you must find her marriage.
L.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

I don't know that it will be possible to find Michele's parents marriage. There is only one film of church records from Sezione di Falsomiele and seems to start too late. And it is my understanding that civil records do not begin until 1820. Out of town at the moment but thought I would post Michele's death certificate (found with his son's marriage certificate) next week to see if it might state exactly where he died so with any luck I might find his civil death record. I have become fairly decent at pulling facts from civil records but the church records cause me some (some?)difficulty.
Thank you,
Tana