Searching for the family of Giuseppe and Brigida Calise

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Searching for the family of Giuseppe and Brigida Calise

Post by siskojnash »

I am searching for information on the families of Giuseppe (Joseph) and Brigida (Bridget) Calise. I don't know Bridget's maiden name.
Giuseppe was born in Forio d'Ischia, Italy. Does anyone know where that is? Is it Sicily? He was born on October 2, 1884. He and Bridget were married on July 23, 1910 in Forio d'Ischia, according to the naturalization documents. Each of them had one. He arrived on September 6, 1910 in New York on the vessel America. They emigrated from Naples.
Brigida was born on July 15, 1887 in Forio d'Ischia also.
Their children were:
Vito, born April 21, 1911 in Brooklyn; Lucy, born January 23, 1913 in Brooklyn; Joseph, born September 1, 1914 in Brooklyn; Anthony, born in August 23, 1916 in Brooklyn; Mary, born April 2, 1919 in Brooklyn; Loreto, born on September 27, 1929.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Searching for the family of Giuseppe and Brigida Calise

Post by adelfio »

Heres possible marriage record from Forio July 1910 Index#16
from family search Giuseppe Calise.and Bridget Colella
https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... c=11237642

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Bridget Colella July 1887 index # 179

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... c=11238516

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Giuseppe Calise son of Vito Calise and Lucia Restituto born in Forio d'Ischia (Napoli province) on 2th oct 1884:

by
https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... c=11238504
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Wow! Thank you! I wasn't expecting to be able to see Italian records, especially so quickly! I wonder what else is out there to find about the family. Do you know if the passenger list for the arrival on September 6th is available? I would like to be able to download that so that I can send it to Giuseppe's granddaughter. She knows a little about the family, but doesn't know dates for anything. I already have the naturalization documents and indexes for both Giuseppe and Bridget, although I don't have the oath of allegiance or declaration of intentions for either one. I think there were normally only the four documents involved in attaining U.S. citizenship, right?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:Heres possible marriage record from Forio July 1910 Index#16
from family search Giuseppe Calise.and Bridget Colella
https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... c=11237642

Marty
1910 July 23 before the civil official of Forio Napoli
Giuesspe Calsie age 26 born and living in Forio son of Vito Calise and Lucia Restituto
and wife Bridgette Colella age 23 born and living in Forio daughter of Giuesppe Colella and Rosa Maria Impagliazzo

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Do you suppose there might be information about the parents of Giuseppe Calise and Bridget Colella?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:Birth record of Brigida Colella July 1887 index # 179

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... c=11238516

Marty
1887 July 14 Brigida Colella daughter of Giuesppe Colella age 33 occupation Agricoltore Farmer and Maria Rosa Impagliazzo age 24 occupation midwife living in house on #1 via Calegrafo in Forio had a baby girl name Bridgette Colella
The marriage record a couple post ago had the parents info

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are all kinda of birth death marriage for Italy, Civil Registration, 1806-1940 Napoli Forio
click on prompt for records
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 2F11233316

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you. I just found the passenger list for Giuseppe Calise and his wife on the S.S. America arriving on September 5, 1910 in New York from Naples on the Ellis Island site. Is there any way that the two pages could be posted so that I can download them? Also, I was having a hard time reading what it said for where they were going once they came into the country. Does anyone know what it says? I saw they were going to New Jersey, but was hoping to maybe find another link in the family.
About the records on the family search site, is it possible to search those documents for names? I would think I could probably find out about whole new links to the family if there's a search button there that I'm missing.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Usually there are indexes on the last pages for the the different records the italian word is indice nati(birth) morte (death)
I will try to get you a copy of the manifest on ancestry.com
It says that Giuesppe Calise line 21 pg 2 is going to see his uncle Vito Restituto which possible is his mother Lucia Restituto's brother

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Do you think the records might include birth dates for Giuseppe and Brigida's parents? Or for Vito Restituto? Just out of curiosity, have you happened to run into information like this for Castelbuono and Frazzano? I have been trying to find information on people from those areas also.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Was trying to grab an image of the manifest on Ancestry, but having some difficulty... :?

However... did find Brigida's Petition for Citizenship - didn't know if you had this... :D

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Yes. I have that and the one for Giuseppe. They gave me the information I needed to ask about the family. The funny thing is that the two documents contradict each other with some of the dates. Do you think the oath of allegiance, declaration of intent, or other naturalization documents would be available for Giuseppe or Brigida? I didn't see those around. Thank you very much for taking the time with this.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

siskojnash wrote:Thank you. I just found the passenger list for Giuseppe Calise and his wife on the S.S. America arriving on September 5, 1910 in New York from Naples on the Ellis Island site. Is there any way that the two pages could be posted so that I can download them? Also, I was having a hard time reading what it said for where they were going once they came into the country. Does anyone know what it says? I saw they were going to New Jersey, but was hoping to maybe find another link in the family.
About the records on the family search site, is it possible to search those documents for names? I would think I could probably find out about whole new links to the family if there's a search button there that I'm missing.
These records are in Italian and not searchable the way other database records are.
For example...
Above birth record for Brigida Colella states that her father is 33 years old. So that would put his birth about 1854...
As Marty mentioned, there are usually indexes at the beginning or end of each "book" of records.
Using the link Marty provided, you go to "Nati 1854" and check the index. You will find Giuseppe Colella is listed as record #28 in that year. You forward through the records until you reach #28...
Here is POSSIBLE record:
Birth of Giuseppe Colella, son of Aniello 34, farmer -(who is son of deceased Vito)
Born on 12 February 1854 at noon, and presented at the town hall at 5 PM
Mother is Brigida Maschio, 30, his wife
Left side of page...

As you go through the indexes you may find the surnames repeated... check them for extended family possibilities :-)

T.