notarization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

notarization

Post by garypeg »

According to what I just read in a doc from the Philly consulate, "Documents from States that are not part of the Philadelphia jurisdiction must have the
translation notarized by the Consulate that has jurisdiction over that State."

Please tell me they don't really mean this. If they do, how do I address the envelope? Who at the consulate does this? Do i write, Att: Notary on the envelope? SASE? I have docs from Fl, Az, Ark, NY, and Tx. I can't imagine how long this is going to take.

thanks

gary
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: notarization

Post by JJ313 »

Gary, I can't speak from personal experience in Philly, but it seems that a few people have had this issue come up in other consulates. The procedure varies by consulate as to which department handles the process, (citizenship dept. in some, notary in others), what they call the process(authentication, legalization, notarization), the fee (NY and Newark $8.70, Miami and Philly $8.65) and method of payment.

If you can, check with the consulate as to exactly which docs they require to be authenticated by the other consulates. This also seems to vary by consulate and can vary from posted instructions.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Getting through to Philly seems difficult. I am going by what is in writing only. This notarization seems like an odd thing to require and just another hoop to jump through and throw money into.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

I am wondering if anyone has further information on this. I have been able to get replies from Houston and LA about the fees and procedures for certifying the translations. New York and Houston have not replied. The New York site says that a new Italian law prevents them from notarizing any document for a non-Italian citizen. It is very frustrating!