Pre-1906 and 1912 law questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Pre-1906 and 1912 law questions

Post by kat2412 »

Hello all,

I am trying to apply for dual citizenship via GGF-GM-F(born 1950)-me. I have obtained my GGF's BC from Italy and have letters of "no record of naturalization" from the USCIS and his A-file from the NARA. However, my GGF came over as a young boy (he was about 5) with his father and the rest of his family. I realize that if my GGF's father naturalized or petitioned to naturalize when they arrived or anytime after while he was alive -- my GGF's alien file is irrelevant and that the line of citizenship was cut off, especially since they arrived in the US in the 1890's I know that it makes it even more complicated. I am going though the Houston consulate and just want to make sure I am as prepared as I can be. In order to prove that my GGF's father did not naturalize -- what do I need to provide? From the reading I've done on this site, it seems like I have to get documentation of no record from all of the state?/or city?/or county? courts of all the cities (New Orleans, LA, La Fayette, LA, Bryan, Tx, Galveston, Tx and Houston, Tx) that he (GGF's father) lived in. Would I also need to obtain his (GGF's father) BC from Italy as well? And marriage license from Italy? Any help answering these questions is appreciated. :mrgreen:
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pre-1906 and 1912 law questions

Post by kat2412 »

To make matters worse -- I just contacted the county clerk in Bryan, TX (Brazos county)and they said that they don't have any sort of records of residents who applied for citizenship through the county courts in the late 1800's/early 1900's. They told me to "contact homeland security because their records go back farther." Odd response -- any advice on what I could do next?? :cry:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

you can prove that your ancestor never became a naturalized US citizen with a certification of "NO RECORDS" from the following:
1. USCIS, 2. NARA (National Archives), 3. the local County Court and 4. a Census Report from the US Dept. of Commerce.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kat2412 »

I thought there are no records of naturalization pre-1906 at the federal level. I thought that before that time, immigrants had to petition for naturalization through local (county?) courts. In my case, it would be Bryan, Tx (Brazos county)-- I thought he lived in those other cities I mentioned at the top but no, only the one in Texas. I contacted brazos county about pre-1906 records of petitions to naturalize and they basically told me they didn't have anything like that. I checked the naturalization column from the brazos county 1900 census and my ancestors left that part blank. neither and "n" or "a". and on top of that, my ggf's father didn't live to the next census. So I am just wondering what else I can do, or what the consulate expects me to do to prove that my ggf's father never naturalized -- thus transferring the citizenship to his offspring -- my ggf.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

just get a certificate of no records, or a negative reply from the offices above, as I just said before.
Also remember that ANCESTORS NATURALIZED BEFORE JUNE 14, 1912 CANNOT TRANSMIT CITIZENSHIP (EVEN TO CHILDREN BORN BEFORE THEIR NATURALIZATION)
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo