looking for my father Achilles Romano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
George Romano

looking for my father Achilles Romano

Post by George Romano »

I am hoping someone can help me find my father. He was a POW I think in camp 77 Aunsmuir Camp fife. Achilles Romano was born in naples, he met my mother while he was located in Fife, Scotland. I was born 1946, I think he left when I was two.

I have just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and would love to find out something, even a photo of my father before I die...any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers George.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: looking for my father Achilles Romano

Post by ricbru »

Dear George,
before we get the photo of your father you should:
1) write a letter in italian to Ministero della Difesa, Via XX Settembre 123/A Rome - Italy, in order to have his POW record. In that record there are the informations about where and when he was born.
2) With those informations, you can write to civil record office of the town where he was born, and request a prove if he is still alive, or if he is dead and where buried. If he is dead, you will find his photo on the tombstone, otherwise you can try to contact the family, you can have all the infos from civil record and population record office where he was born and where he lived or lives. I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I fogli matricolari, che io sappia, non hanno mai la fotografia.
Al Centro Documentale quando si fa richiesta, vogliono i dati completi, nome, cognome, luogo e data di nascita. Comunque deve sempre richiedere il cartellino di prigioniero al Ministero della Difesa, per conoscere i dati di partenza.
ciao Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Spero che tu abbia ragione, perchè io ho avuto spesso modo di richiedere fogli matricolari italiani , e non ho mai trovato la foto.

I hope you are right, because I had often the chance to request italian military records, and I have never found the picture
Riccardo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In the Foglio Matricolare never the picture.. I agree with Riccardo.. however I believe that the Red Cross can have all data also abt Achille Romano...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

eccola la mia esperienza, l'ultimo ricevuto un mesetto fa, ma ne ho richiesti tantissimi in questi anni e tutti senza foto:

Dove sta la foto?
Non c'è.
L'esempio che mostri è di uno scienziato, e non fa testo, e sarà la solita e classica eccezione che conferma la regola.
Comunque su questo forum non siamo avvezzi a sterili polemiche, quindi ti prego di non farne, tu resta della tua opinione che io resto della mia, non c'è problema.
Il mio scopo e quello di Riccardo altro membro storico di Italiangenealogy, è quello di aiutare tutti e nel precipuo, aiutare George a trovare il padre.
Ora se tu pensi che su tutti i Fogli Matricolari ci sia la foto, pensalo pure.
E con questo chiudo l'argomento, che sono la senior qui e so quello che dico.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Dear George,
please to contact the Red Cross in UK; Achille Romano when the war ended, it was repatried as all the POWs; and the Red Cross have the info that you need, so please to contact and explain your situation and your request.
Naples as residence or birthplace is no enough, because maybe Achille was born in some Commune in Naples province, that is possible.. The Red Cross can provide you the birthdate and birthplace and when you will know it we can help you in Italy...
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

It is very fortunate to receive a copy of this record with a photograph attached although I unfortunately have never received a picture of my family and I have ordered several. Regardless you must concentrate on getting the correct birth information first and if by chance you should be lucky enough to get a copy with a picture then that would be an additional bonus and certainly not the norm at all.

And I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thank you Nuccia!
For George:
Dear George,

I continued the search of Achille Romano and no many peoples with same name in Italy... however I need of to know from you the probable birthyear of your Achilles....
I found that in 1957 was a Achille Romano in Lacco Ameno (Ischia isle, NAPLES province) that had a injury at work
source: La Stampa newspaper 15th Jun 1957

This Achille ROMANO was 33 old in 1957, so born around 1923/4...
Your Achille when was born?
Currently also live in Lacco Ameno 1 Achille Romano... let me know your reply, thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I received a private message today from George Romano's son. Sadly, George passed away on 2 April 2012. We would like to offer our condolences to Georges family.
His son has also asked me to post the following information in hopes that the search will continue....

My grandfather achille romanno was born 28/09/1913 service number 39179 hes was married Raffaela they lived
via san guiseppe Calasanzio 41 Napoli
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database