Surname CATARINICH

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jarrahlegh

Surname CATARINICH

Post by jarrahlegh »

Hi

Looking for information on the "CATARINICH" Family

My Great Great Grandfather was NICOLA ANTONIO CATARINICH born Lussinpiccolo???, he married Catherine / Catarina MASKLINE / MARKLINE / MASQUILINA.

[I am unsure which name is correct for Nicola’s wife, as all of these names are listed on various Birth, Death and Marriage certificates of their sons]

Nicola and Catherine's children where -

Joseph b. 1848
Place of birth according to family is Dalmatia, though his naturalization certificate states Trieste, Austria. and his death certificate states Fuime, Austria
Joseph arrived in Australia in March 1870 via India and South Africa.
He was naturalised in Australia on 9 March 1880.

Antonio Nicola b. 12 December 1863
Place of birth Malinska, Austraia
Antonio arrived in Australia on 26 May 1887.
He was naturalised on 7 June 1904.

Nicola and Catherine also had 4 or 5 daughters - names unknown

Nicola, Joseph and Antonio were all Master Mariners.

If my information is correct Nicola was a crewmember on the "Tegetthoff" in 1872 on an expedition to Antarctica.

Thank you

jarrahlegh :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: Lussin Piccolo(exact spelling) is a island that currently belongs to the Croatia. To Lussin Piccolo (Mali Losinj=croatian name) the town + important is Cunski (CHIUNSCHI= italian name): Venice in the ' 700 made it to become one of the ports trades them more important than all the Adriatic, a lot that to the end of the past century could count on the fleet more numerous than this sea. For the information that try you would have to write CUNSKI' s COMMON. It considers that the last name could also be KATARINICH .(excuse bad english)
Regards, :roll: suanj
jarrahlegh

Post by jarrahlegh »

Thanks for your reply :)
JoanGriffin

Re: Surname CATARINICH

Post by JoanGriffin »

Hi. It's been quite a while since your post; I am Joe Catarinich's great grand daughter.His daughter Minnie was my grandmother. And yes they were all master mariners. My grandmother would sail with him to Wynyard in Tas on school holidays.. He did have several ketches/ schooners in his lifetime.

How are you connected? I live in Hampton, Victoria and would like to exchange info you might have to fill in the family tree.

Merry Christmas!!

Joan Griffin