Caligaris family from Vignale Monferrato, Alessandria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sebas_sweden

Caligaris family from Vignale Monferrato, Alessandria

Post by sebas_sweden »

My great grandfather Cesare (or Cesar) was born in Vignale Monferrato (Alessandria) at around 1887. He later on migrated to Argentina. His father was named Pedro, and his mother Ermelinda Ferraris (from Torino). Any information on the family history (for example, to confirm birth date) would be very much appreciated. There are Italian Civil Records at ancestry.com which may have valuable information, but I unfortunatelly have no access to them.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sebastian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Caligaris family from Vignale Monferrato, Alessandria

Post by adelfio »

I did some looking for you Cesar Ernesto Ferdinando Caligaris was born in 1887 in Vignale Monferrato its in the index for that year but the index number #121 wasnt in the order of the records for that year
heres the index
click on for index click again to enlarge

Did do some looking came up with these index#37 Maria Coria Emma Caligaris born 1889 March 26 daughter of Pietro Caligaris age 30 farmer son of Luigi Caligaris and Ermenegildo Ferraris daughter of deceased Luigi Ferraris living in a house on #76 San Lorenzo in Vignale Monferrato had a baby girl named Maria Caligaris

and Federico Luigi Giovanni Caligaris index #26 born 18886 Feb 26 son of of Pietro Caligaris age 26 farmer son of Luigi Caligaris and Ermenegildo Ferraris daughter of deceased Luigi Ferraris living in a house on #26 San Lorenzo in Vignale Monferrato had a baby boy named Federico Caligaris

I looked somemore
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sebas_sweden

Post by sebas_sweden »

Hi Marty,
Thanks a lot for you invaluable information in this exciting topic.

I wrote to the comune's email and they were really kind to send me a scanned copy of Cesare's Atti di nascita!

Cesare was born in Oct 6, 1887, and the record has number 121, as you mentioned. His father was Pietro Caligaris, so Maria and Federico were surely his siblings. I had no idea whether he had any siblings, so I really appreciate your help fitting toghether the pieces of my genealogy. And I am also astonished by your sharp eye to read this intricate typography :)

I have a few questions, if I may ask:
1) By Checking at Pietro's age when his kids were born, we can estimate that he was born in 1859-1860. Is there any way of checking if his birth certificate is available? Or perhaps that would be too old to be found online?
2) In Federico's birth certificate, we can see some purple notes on the left margin. Do you have any idea what they might be?

Thank you again for helping me and my family to build our genealogy tree!
Sebastian.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

sebas_sweden wrote:...
2) In Federico's birth certificate, we can see some purple notes on the left margin. Do you have any idea what they might be?
It's an annotation stating that on October 13, 1912 Federico married Giovanna Gardini, in Nibbiola (Novara Province)
sebas_sweden

Post by sebas_sweden »

Ok, thank you for the data Livio!

Sebastian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

THe records on ancestry only go from 1866-1938 heres another
Death record of Cesar's father Pietro Caligaris
Index # 61 1906 Aug 7th death of Pietro Caligaris age 59 farmer son of Luigi Caligaris and deceased Carolina Cattana and husband of Ermelinda Ferraris all residing in Vignale Monferrato
Click for record again to enlarge

and father of (Pietro Caligaris) Luigi Caligaris death record
Index #33 1908 16th of Sept death of Luigi Caligaris age 77 son of deceased Pietro Caligaris and Rosea Canesa?? widower of Carolina Cattana born in Camagna and his parents lived there.
click for record click to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

These are the brothers and sisters of Cesar Caligaris all the same mother and father from Vignale
Index 68 1891 April 17th Maria Vittoria Caligaris daughter of of Pietro Caligaris age 32 farmer son of Luigi Caligaris and Ermenegildo Ferraris daughter of deceased Luigi

Index#71 1894 May 1st Modesto Caligaris

Index 110 1896 Oct 16th Adele Caligaris

Index 97 1900 Sept 29th Maurizo Caligaris

When I get some more time I will look for more
Marty

Marty
sebas_sweden

Post by sebas_sweden »

Thanks a lot again! I am finishing a really complete tree thanks to your kind help.
So Pietro died around two years before his father (Luigi). It might have been an accidental death or a sickness perhaps...

A few more matters that just arose:
1) About Luigi's Atti di morte (the second image in your penultimate post), I looked at its margin, expecting to find his father's name, but instead of "Caligaris Luigi di [father's name]", I can read "Caligaris Luigi fui (or similar) Pietro". I was wondering whether this has a special meaning, or if I can conclude that Luigi's father was named Pietro.

2) Regarding the remaining birth certificates (Luigi circa 1831 and Pietro circa 1847), I was wondering whether I might try luck in the LDS Church, by checking their microfilms in the Family History Center from my city. Do I have chances of finding these records, or does LDS provide access to just the same records that Marty checked (1866-1938)?

Thank you!
Sebastian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In the death records you start to see a new birth place Camagna perhaps Camagna Monferrato it is close to Vignale Monferrato, the words nato in after there names in the records says Camagna for Pietro and Luigi birth place. Di after name means of fu means deceased so is you wrote Martino di fu Sebastian it would mean Marty of deceased Sebastian. Heres s some good reading a video about Italian records
click on prompt
https://www.familysearch.org/learningce ... 22Italy%22

Marty

Marty
sebas_sweden

Post by sebas_sweden »

I understand, thanks! I will go though the video tutorial.
By the way, in the post about the last brothers and sisters of Cesar Caligaris, it seems that there was a mix up while pasting the links from postimage.org, as Modesto and Adele's record show in fact the picture of Maria Vittoria´s record.
Sebastian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Index#71 1894 May 1st Modesto Caligaris
Index 110 1896 Oct 16th Adele Caligaris
Index 97 1900 Sept 29th Maurizo Caligaris

Sorry about that Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Index 49 Death record of Luigi Caligaris wife Carolina Cattana
Appeared to witness ofthe death was Pietro Caligaris age 42 and Giovanni Caligaris age 36 both reding in Vignale Monferrato
In the year 1901 Oct 21st death of Carolina Cattana age 74 farmgirl born in Camagna living in Vignale Monferrato daughter of deceased Pietro Cattana and deceased Delfina Barba?? and the husband is Luigi Caligaris
click on record

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Index #1 1919 Jan 5th death record This is one of Pietro Caligaris brothers named Ferdinando Caligaris age 52 son of Luigi Caligaris and Carolina Cattana wife is Laura?? Pessino

There is another brother named Giovanni Caligaris born abt 1863 son of Luigi Caligaris and Carolina Cattana wife is Selvnia?? Caligaris daughter of Giuesppe Caligaris heres the birth of the child named what else Luigi Mario Caligaris born 1894 April 12th

There are more relatives Im pretty sure in the records your best bet is to go to Family History Library or a public library and access the records of Vignale Monferrato and go through the years and find the rest of your family

Marty

Marty
sebas_sweden

Post by sebas_sweden »

Curious, he had the first record of the book!
So Giovanni Caligaris was one of Cesare's uncles. I will keep both records for the genealogy tree, thanks!

About the birth certificates of years 1831 and 1847 from Camagna (Camagna Monferrato), I tried to find the LDS records in Family History Center's website here but the one I found here states "There are no film notes available for this title" (which if I understand correctly, means that I cannot get a copy by visiting a Family History Center near me). I am not sure if I am searching correctly though.

Any ideas on the availability of LDS records (familysearch.org) for 1831 and 1847 from Camagna Monferrato, provincia di Alessandria?

Thank you!
Sebastian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Look back I edited the last responcce

Marty