Gaetano Pagliaro, Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
vj
Master
Master

Gaetano Pagliaro, Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza

Post by vj »

Hello!
I need a bit of help :D
I've been away from the site for a while (volunteering to help folks with their family research at our local senior center)
Recently I've been rechecking research on my own family and have gotten stuck with my great grandfather's military record at the Cosenza archives.
The image is too small to enlarge and I'm not all familiar with what the record may state.
Could someone take a look and see if they can figure out his dates of service? (and anything else that can be read)
He enlisted 4 Oct 1894.
I have his marriage record for 19 Mar 1896 - less than two years later?
Thank you!
Valarie

from the Cosenza Archives
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta/ ... heda.faces

Original Record
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5237/1894o.jpg

SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza
Enlistment year 1874
Volume number 122, document number 43 page 16 section a
Gaetano Pagliaro, contadino (farmer)
- enlisted on 04/10/1894 (4 Oct 1894)
- born on 26/03/1873 (26 Mar 1873) to (in) COSENZA
- son of Lorenzo Pagliaro and of Rosaria Amendola
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Gaetano Pagliaro, Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenz

Post by Biff83 »

Hi Valarie! :D

Translating isn't my strong suite and I'm having trouble reading the document BUT in the last column I can make out the word "Rivedibile" which I believe means temporarily unfit for duty. Possibly under the category "Contrasegni Personali," the last item "Segni Particulari" (distinguishing marks/characteristics?) might give a clue as to why he was unfit but I can't make out the handwriting.

Anyone else out there who can verify this and/or decipher the other information on the document?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff!
Thanks for the clues. That may explain how he got married less than two years after he enlisted.
Gaetano was a stone mason. He worked into his 70's. One of his sons remembers coming home one night to find his father up on the roof replacing the chimney when he was abt 72.
Valarie
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It states he had a scar on his right cheek and neck, that's why he was "rivedibile" (to be examined again).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Pippo,
thank you so much for clarifying why he was to be examined again!
Valarie
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Valarie,

Small world but I also have a Gaetano Pagliaro in my tree--he was my ggg grandfather, father of Cecilia Pagliaro. Cecilia married Geniale Epifano/Bifano in I believe Aiello Calabro. Sometime before 1802 they moved to San Mango d'Aquino where they had a son Domenico who had a son Francesco who had a son Giuseppe, my grandfather.

Wonder if my Pagliaro's from Aiello Calabro could be related to your great grandfather's family. It'd be a hoot if we were cugina and cugino.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

There are 2 documents for Gaetano Pagliaro:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/streaming ... &id=726178 related to: Enlistment year 1874.Volume number 122,
document number 43 page 16 section a
and http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/streaming ... &id=743161 related to: Enlistment year 1875.Volume number 129,
document number 3 page 2 section c
the latter has no date but states that (after the new exam) he was declared unfit for military service because of "deforming scar on the face".
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Livio
Thank you so much for the additional information. The final detail that he was declared unfit helps explain his marriage before his military service would have normally been completed.
Gaetano had 12 children. His youngest son is living in Florida. I have a call into him to see if his father told him anything about his military service.
My thanks again to Biff, Pippo and Livio for their help!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Biff83 wrote:Valarie,

Small world but I also have a Gaetano Pagliaro in my tree--he was my ggg grandfather, father of Cecilia Pagliaro. Cecilia married Geniale Epifano/Bifano in I believe Aiello Calabro. Sometime before 1802 they moved to San Mango d'Aquino where they had a son Domenico who had a son Francesco who had a son Giuseppe, my grandfather.

Wonder if my Pagliaro's from Aiello Calabro could be related to your great grandfather's family. It'd be a hoot if we were cugina and cugino.

Biff
Hey Biff!
I already feel like your cousin!
My Gaetano's father was Lorenzo Pagliaro (abt 1828 - 6 Feb 1888 in Donnici, Cosenza, Calabria)
Lorenzo's father was Gaetano, but I don't have any records for Gaetano Pagliaro or his wife.
Big Hug!
Valarie