"Mortie" Gommina??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jfalduti

"Mortie" Gommina??

Post by jfalduti »

Hi everyone-

In trying to get over the hump of missing information about my GGM, I am trying to get as much info about her parents as I can. I've gotten some new leads by acquiring their death records, which has their parents' names.

I am particularly curious about my GGF's- while it does not list where in Italy he came from, it does list his mother's name as being "Mortie Gommina". I've never heard the name Mortie and I tried to search for it and I got nothing. Is that a shortened version of another name, or mean something else? Also, any suggestions on where the surname "Gommina" is from in Italy?

Thanks so much!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: "Mortie" Gommina??

Post by liviomoreno »

Gommina does not seem to be an Italian surname.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

"Mortie" does not exist as a "classical" name in Italy. And I also think it would hardly be used, as "morte" is "death" in Italian.
So, it must be an anglicization of some Italian name that sounded somehow the same."Gommina" also does not appear in Italian White Pages, but it sounds similar to "Gambino" (a common surname in Sicily), so that can be my guess.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by justinfrombklyn »

i believe it could be the surname GUMINA which is found alot near my area of messina,sicily

justin
Justin
jfalduti

Post by jfalduti »

Justin- thanks for your reply.

I was also looking through the names in your profile and there are two that I recognize:

One is Catania, which is my mother's maiden name. The other is Ruggiero, which is the name of some extended family through marriage. Both families lived in Hoboken, NJ. However, I notice your Catania is from Palermo. My Catania family comes from Monte San Giacomo, Salerno.