Scipione in Formia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joshseverse

Scipione in Formia

Post by joshseverse »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has access to birth records in Formia. I have a relative that could be key in discovering my true Surname. I am looking for his parents' names. What I have is:

Raffaelo Scipione born January 26, 1873 in Formia, Italy. He also has it as Formia, Caserta on a passenger list. Thank you in advance.

Josh
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Scipione in Formia

Post by adelfio »

Check this Scipione thread
click on the prompt
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic18335.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ciccolilli

Post by ciccolilli »

The town of Caserta is some 40 miles from Formia. You would have to know if your grandfather was born in Caserta or Formia. The records kept at the municipal building in Formia, or in Caserta would be the best place to look, You have all that is needed. Name and date of birth.
My grandmother was a Scipione. I went to Formia and was able to cross reference one name all the way back to 1807 and all the way forward to today. Found everyone alive today. All cousins.
joshseverse

Post by joshseverse »

Hello Ciccolilli,
Thank you for your reply. Yes I know they are two separate towns but on the passenger list he wrote under the town field Formia and under the country field Caserta.

That is great to know about the trove of info you got in Formia. Formia is the town I found on all of his docs. I think I will correspond with their municipal clerks and see what I can did up.

Thanks again.
Josh
joshseverse

Post by joshseverse »

I should have looked this up before my prior post. Caserta is also a province. See below:

The Province of Caserta (Italian: Provincia di Caserta) is a province in the Campania region of Italy. Its capital is the city of Caserta. The former royal palace of Caserta is located near to the city.
ciccolilli

Post by ciccolilli »

Formia was a major port of departure from Southern Italy. So many form the areas around Formia departed from there that there is an Association in New York named, "Formians in America" and they have a dinner every year in Queens, New York.
However, I believe only those who were residents in and around Formia and subject to registration in Formia would have records there. Leaving from other towns, the person would go to their town's municipal office and tell them that they were emigrating and they would record that information along with the country they were going to.
I found out that my grandfather's brother went to Argentina. I went to Argentina and was able to find out that my great uncle had a son, the son married in 1939. But, he and his wife did not have any children and they are now both gone. So, I have no living relatives in Argentina.
If someone departed from Formia by ship no matter where they came from in Italy, there might be records of the passenger's name , where they came from, (town) date of birth etc. I do not know.
I do know that Italian records are very good. If someone marries, they cross reference both husband's and wife's parents and it is linked the their birth records so you can also get all brothers and sisters. In an afternoon, with just the name and date of one person, you can find everyone related to that person, uncles, aunts, sisters, brothers, grandparents, great grandparents, and on, and newer generation right up to present day. If some leaves their home town for another town in Italy, they also record that and the name of the new town that have gone to live. Then that person registers in the new town and it also list the town he came from. In my mind, maybe only the Germans have better records.