Magazu and Russo families around 1820 in Bauso, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Magazu and Russo families around 1820 in Bauso, Sicily

Post by Joe4322 »

Antonia Magazu and Giuseppe Russo families.I have been searching for a long time, and have been successful. I recently came across my great grandparents name, but that is it.
The information that I have is that my great grandfather was born in or around 1820 and my great grandmother was born around 1822. My grandparents were born in Bauso Sicily, so I assume that my great grandparents would be the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Magazu and Russo families around 1820 in Bauso, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

Joe4322 wrote:Antonia Magazu and Giuseppe Russo families.I have been searching for a long time, and have been successful. I recently came across my great grandparents name, but that is it.
The information that I have is that my great grandfather was born in or around 1820 and my great grandmother was born around 1822. My grandparents were born in Bauso Sicily, so I assume that my great grandparents would be the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Hello Joe :-)

Found this birth record in Bauso, 1823, for Antonia Magazù

Record #9
Dated 15 February 1823 in Bauso
The child, Antonia, was born on the 14th of the month.
Father: Mariano Magazù, age 40, laborer
Mother: Antonina Sajia, age 39
Living on Strada Contara

Right side

Second page - LEFT side

Have not yet found the birth record of Giuseppe Russo - checked 1820-1823 :?
But not all records are there.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe,
My grandparents were born in Bauso Sicily, so I assume that my great grandparents would be the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Joe
Found the following birth records for children of Giuseppe Russo and Antonia Magazu :D
Don't know if any are your grandparent...

Birth Record of Antonino Russo, 1862, in Bauso
Record #44, dated 1 December 1862
Child born on the 30 November 1862 to
Giuseppe Russo, 40, laborer, and to
Antonia Magazzu, 36, his wife
both residing in Bauso.

Right side

Left side - page 2

AND this birth record for Antonina Russo, born 1861 in Bauso
Record #45, dated 26 December 1861
Child, Antonina, born 25 December 1891 to
Giuseppe Russo, 42, laborer (ages are not always accurate in these records :-) )
And to Antonia Magazzu, 42, his wife.

Right side

left side -

Birth of Giovanni Russo, 1858, in Bauso
REcord #20, dated 29 July 1858
Child, Giovanni, was born on the 28th of July, to
Giuseppe Russo, 38, laborer, and to
Antonia Magazu, 36, his wife...

right side

left side

T.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Joe4322 »

Thank you T,

Giovanni Russo is my grandfather. A nice lady has been helping me also, that is how I got the name Magazu. The information that you researched is great.Based on what you researched and what my friend told me, I don't think I am going much further. I am happy though. I have more information than I have ever had. Hopefully I can get more information about the Russo side.

Thank you very much
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to have helped, Joe. :D

FYI - after looking through the records of Bauso, I noticed that the ONLY "Russo" surname that appears is that of Giuseppe and his children. Though a few years of the records are not available online (and maybe not at all :( )... my thoughts are that Giuseppe Russo may not have been born in Bauso.

However, to go further back than 1820, you might look into the church records. Each of the records above have the baptism information in the right column.
You might also inquire about a marriage record for Giuseppe and Antonia :-) - I couldn't find one because the civil records from 1845 - 1858 were not available online...

T.