Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Post by Jen C. »

Hello everyone,

I am going to Caltanissetta to research my families heritage this June. My great-grandparents are from Caltanissetta and came to the U.S. through Palermo. I am trying to find any information about my family including where they use to live, work, anyone that is still in Caltanissetta that might be related to me, and any general family history. Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian or Sicilian and I am sure this will make my search difficult. I was hoping that you might be able to help me with a records search or tell me how to go about finding records beyond Ellis Islands.

My great grandfather's name is Michele Cordaro and his birthday is January 1, 1892. He came through Ellis Island on Jan 29, 1910. I know he worked in the sulfur mines in Caltanissetta before coming to the US at age 18.

My great grandmother's name is Guivannina Lamonico (but I'm unsure of the spelling of both first and last name-but it sounds like "joe-anina" and "lamonico" or "lomonico") and she was born on January 27. I am not sure of the year though. I cannot find her Ellis Island records because of the spelling issue, I believe. They got married in the US and had 9 or 10 kids, of which 2 or 3 died. I have all the names of the kids that survived and they were all born in the US in Rochester/Webster, NY.

I'd like to find out as much information as possible before going to Sicily so that I have some information to go off of when looking for records, etc. If anyone can lend a hand and tell me how the heck to start this search, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you,
Jen Cordaro
~Someday I may change the world, but for today the world will change me~
[Looking for Surnames: Cordaro, Lomonico, Bruno, Asarisi]
vj
Master
Master

Re: Cordaro Family/Caltanissetta, Sicily

Post by vj »

Hello Jen,
Welcome to the Forum.

You can find records for Caltanissetta online at Ancestry.com (subscription or 7 day free trial)

"Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1939
Caltanissetta, Sicilia, Italia: Registri di Stato Civile, 1866-1939"

The records are in Italian.
---

This may help you locate family still living in Caltanissetta:
(note: women in Italy retain their father's surname)

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
---

Note: when searching thru Italian records it helps to have as much family information as possible. Given names tend to repeat because of Italian naming traditions.
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/article ... ifications

Knowing parents' and siblings' names and approximate bith dates will help ensure that you are researching the correct family (and not cousins). Often clues can be found in your family's US records.

Do you have all of your US records (census, military, immigration, etc)

If not, we can help you look for details that may help in your Italian record search.

Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

A few clues in the 1930 census may help to locate your great-grandmother's ship manifest

Is this the correct 1930 census?
http://imageshack.us/a/img607/1296/1930m.jpg

Home in 1930:
637 N Plymouth Ave, rents
Rochester, Monroe, New York

head Michael Cordaro 39, abt 1891 IT
- married abt 1921
- immig 1909, Na (naturalized)
- baker, bakery shop
- military, served WWI
wife Jennie Cordaro 32, abt 1898 IT
- immig 1920
daughter Michalena Cordaro 7, abt 1923 NY
daughter Josephine Cordaro 5, abt 1925 NY
son Sam Cordaro 3, abt 1927 NY
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Valeria,
Thanks for the links to the Caltanissetta records and all the info. I have not been able to find them on Ancestry.com. I signed up for the free trial but can't seem to find records for Italy. I don't have US records for my family. I was however able to find a few phone book listings for my great grandparents in Rochester, NY (which is where my entire family is from except me). I have my great grandfathers ship manifest and picture of the ship but not my grandmothers. I can't find her. I'd love to have copies of both of their naturalization records, if I can find them. I looked on Ancester.com but perhaps I'm missing something about using that website.

Yes, the 1930 census would be accurate! My great grandmother switched to Jennie from Giuvannina and that is who I'm named after. My great grandfather, who also switched from Michele to Michael, served in WWI but I cannot find his draft card or military records--I spent hours looking last night. Sam (Salvatore) Cordaro, their son, is my grandfather who died in the mid-90's (of which my dad, Samuel, was named after). Michalena (Mickey) is my aunt and died at around age of 37 and Josephine (Josie) is my aunt that just died a few years ago. It would have been helpful if my family would have just stuck to their birth names, lol.

This is great information! I'll check out the links you provided me and go from there! Thank you so much. I would love any more help you can offer.

This is so exciting!!!!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jen, thanks for the update
Re ancestry records: You may only be able to see US records if you're using the free trial

Here's a possible manifest from 1919
There should be at least one more after this date

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/2788/1919q.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/8742/1919b.jpg

Name lined-off (did not sail)
23 Dec 1919
line 25
Giovanna Lo Monaco, 22(?)
- last residence Caltanissetta, father Angelo Lo Monaco
- joining cousin Michele Cordaro in Rochester at 61(?) Gay St
- born in last residence Caltanissetta
---

Another excellent resource for records (FREE)
FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

It seems like that is too far apart in dates to be her. I found that one too but didn't get all that info off of it. My great-grandfather came in 1910 and my uncle john (their son) told me yesterday that they came only a few years apart. . However, if you were able to figure out that she joined her cousin (my great-grandfather and also her 3rd cousin), that seems accurate. Her name has been misspelled and she was completely literate and educated (the opposite of my great grandfather). The address would have been 61 Jay St. in Rochester. So some of the info is right but some seems wrong. Hmm... my gut tells me that must be her, but why all the errors on the record? And, what does "Did not sail" mean? ...She obviously sailed because she ended up here. lol
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

oops, I added a few notes to the previous post while you were replying

- manifests after abt 1906 have two pages
- she registered to sail, but did not for some reason

we'll look for another manifest
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jen,
This appears to be the manifest
Valarie

1920 manifest for Giovanna Lo Monaco, age 21
7 Jan 1920, SS Madonna
Palermo to NY
line 29
http://imageshack.us/a/img846/3918/1920c.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/4176/1920b.jpg
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Wow! This is so cool. It appears to be correct. That would put them 10 years apart for arrival... that is crazy! I'll double check with my uncle John since he is the only on of their kids still alive. He is super excited to learn about his mom but I haven't been able to find anything for her. This helps though. I'll start looking at records in Caltanissetta. ..off of the links you provided. Thanks again! How do you do this so quickly?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jen,
I'm so glad we could find some records for you
We're quick only with a lot of practice :wink:
Valarie

Their marriage record may have their parents' names

It's $10 from the city of Rochester:
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/app.aspx?id=8589936475

First Name MI Last Name Year of Marriage Spouse First Name MI Spouse Last Name Volume Lic Number
MICHAEL CODARO 1920 JENNIE LAMONACO 10 33393
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

Do you have any idea how I can look at those caltanissetta records without knowing the region of the city they'd be coming from?
Jen C.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jen C. »

The other records I'm interested in gaining access to is both of their naturalization records and my great grandfathers WWI draft/military records. I've looked for both on Ancestry.com but can't find them. Is there a trick?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jen C. wrote:Do you have any idea how I can look at those caltanissetta records without knowing the region of the city they'd be coming from?

GREAT finds, Valarie!
:D
Turns out Giovanna (correct spelling of her given name) was from comune of Caltanissetta...

Here is her birth record.

Translation:
Birth act #156
Dated 29 January 1898 at the town office in Caltanissetta
Before the official appeared Angelo Lomonaco, age 34, peasant farmer, to declare that at 6 AM on the 28th of the current month, at the place at Via S. Croce,
to Giuseppa Asarisi(sp?), housewife, his wife living with him, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to who was given the name...
GIOVANNA

RIGHT side of image

T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

:D T :D !
Wonderful record for Giovanna!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jen C. wrote:The other records I'm interested in gaining access to is both of their naturalization records and my great grandfathers WWI draft/military records. I've looked for both on Ancestry.com but can't find them. Is there a trick?
Naturalization would probably be in the Western District of New York (State) records
They're on Fold3 (subscription) but I can't find Michele...

WWI records
I'll take a look

edit added:
Is this his SSDI information?
Born 10 Oct 1892?

first name: Mike
middle name:
last name: Cordaro
name suffix:
birth date: 10 October 1892
social security number: 098-18-xxxx
place of issuance: New York
last residence: Rochester, Monroe, New York
zip code of last residence: 14613
death date: August 1974
estimated age at death: 82

edit added:
WWI Card info from Ancestry
(searched using birth date from SSDI and Monroe County, no name)
Name: Michaele Cordora
City: Rochester County: Monroe State: New York
Birthplace: Italy Birth Date: 10 Oct 1892
Race: Italian
FHL Roll Number: 1818713 DraftBoard: 1

note: image is cut-off
http://imageshack.us/a/img823/9921/1917y.jpg
born in San Joseph Italy???

Valarie