Surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MikeIAbramo

Surnames

Post by MikeIAbramo »

Looking for information on thye following surnames, Barvegna, Grise and Artena.
I can not find anything on these names. Are these Sicilian Family names? Any information would be helpful

Thanks, Mike
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Surnames

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to www.paginebianche.it (Italian white pages) and check where these names can be found today.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Mike, are you sure about the spelling of these lastnames?
You can use also this site to see the actual spreading of lastnames in Italy:

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... &.x=0&.y=0

Artegna and Barvegna are not present...

Laura
MikeIAbramo

Post by MikeIAbramo »

Laura, As I research my family, with help from researchers, and come across these names, I rely on their translation. I understand translating some of the old Italian documents is very dificult.
Since I donot read or speak Italian, understanding them is hard.

The name Artena was found on documents for the marriage of Michele Abramo and Carmela Bucolo, July 6, 1845. Agostina Artena mother of Carmela Bucolo.

The name Barvegna was found on the marriage documents for Antonino Abramo and Giuseppa Bucolo, May 19, 1880. Francesca Barvegna mother of Giuseppa Bucolo.

The name Grise shows up also on the marriage documents of Michele Abramo July 6, 1845 as Maria Grise wife of Salvadore Abramo and mother of Michele Abramo.

Any information will be helpful

Thanks

Mike
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

MikeIAbramo wrote:Looking for information on thye following surnames, Barvegna, Grise and Artena.
I can not find anything on these names. Are these Sicilian Family names? Any information would be helpful

Thanks, Mike
maybe Artena, is ARTINO sicilian surname.
Barvegna, maybe Benvegna or Bonvegna sicilian surnames;
Grise;: I know Grisà as sicilian surname as a well Grisafi and Grispi or Grispo with similar spelling....

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
CarloInAmerica

Post by CarloInAmerica »

Hi Mike,

I do not think that Barvegna is an Italian surname at all.

I suspect it is just sloppy cursive handwriting.

Benvegna, Benvenga, Bonvegna, and Bonvenga are all Sicilian/Italian surnames that date back at least to the 19th century, as well as, Bevacqua which when written sloppy in cursive handwriting can also be mistaken for Benvegna.

Other variations outside of Sicily include Bencivegna, Bencivenga, Bentivegna, and Bentivenga.

Ciao,
Carlo Benvenga
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Can you post the documents where you found the surnames?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There is currently one person in the Italian white pages with the surname Arteno (which may be the correct spelling),living in Naples but doing a quick search of the surname on Ellis Island yielded a female from Palermo in Palermo Province Sicily. Also the surname Bucolo is definitely a Sicilian surname. I see that surname all the time in Sicilian records and, since her mother was an "Artena," I would be inclined to say the surname is Sicilian. The Abramo surname is also found in Sicily.

Also there is an Italian surname Griso, so this may be a possible correct spelling, but that surname is diffused around Italy and Sicily.

http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/GRISO

The other thing is that, if the surnames were found on documents, then what is the name of the town from which these documents were retrieved?