Campania Town San Giorgio alla Montagna - Mirra family

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Campania Town San Giorgio alla Montagna - Mirra family

Post by didozo »

Hello
I cannot find this town as written above in Campania Region.
All I have from a marriage record is that he was baptized in
San Giorgio alla Montagna, Benevento Diocese.

Is this town now know as San Giorgio della Sannio?

I'm trying to write a letter to the commune but don't know which commune to write too.

Thank you. Diana
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Campania Town San Giorgio alla Montagna - Mirra family

Post by pink67 »

The original name was San Giorgio della Montagna di Montefusco, then changed in San Giorgio la Montagna and since 1929 in San Giorgio del Sannio, the province is Benevento in the Campania region...

address is:

Comune di San Giorgio del Sannio
Piazza Municipio, 1
82018 San Giorgio del Sannio (BN)
Italy

Laura
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

Thank you very much!
Diana
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

One more question - According to a map Calvi and San Nazzaro are 2 different towns but (I use family tree maker) when I put in San Nazzaro it automatically uses San Nazzaro Calvi as the town? And San Giorgio del Sannio is in between. I'm totally confused? If I find references of residences in San Nazzaro - does it go to the San Nazzaro commune or address it as San Nazzaro Calvi.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

San Nazzaro Calvi does not exist. San Nazzaro (http://www.comune.sannazzaro.bn.it/) is a town and Calvi (http://www.calvicomune.it/) is a different town, each with his own municipality.
If you find references of residences in San Nazzaro they refer to San Nazzaro.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Since you are using FTM, when the suggested town information comes up just choose "ignore" rather than changing what you know to be true.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

Thank you all for this information. I wrote to all 3 since I have references to all 3 towns and I wrote to San Nazzaro as San Nazzaro.
I appreciate your help.

Livio - thank you for the links of each town. I was able to find the military enlistments but do you have any other links of archives from this area that I can research? I have some parent information, I just need to find verification I'm on the correct track.
Thank you again. Diana
alexbovino

Post by alexbovino »

Hello Diana,
I read your topic only now, since this is one of my first times here on ItalianGenealogy, where I've usually been surfing without being subscribed (till now!).
I'm very interested in your message, since I was born and still live in Benevento, and San Giorgio del Sannio, Calvi and San Nazzaro are all very near to me.
If you are still interested, I just can help by saying that FTM is not wrong in suggesting you San Nazzaro Calvi, as those two villages were previously gathered into a unique municipality. They have been separated only from 1958 on, so civil status records from 1809 till 1861 (which one may find at the State Archive of Benevento) are yet under the old name San Nazzaro Calvi.

Apart from the military entitlements, it is not possible to have other genealogical information about our area on the Internet. In case you're still interested, I would be very happy to help you search around :)
I've just sent you also a Private Message on your account... hope to hear from you soon then! :)

Alessandro
tmarallo

Post by tmarallo »

I realize this post is quite old, but I just stumbled upon it. I notice there is discussion of the towns of San Nazzaro and San Giorgio la Montagna - both towns from which my Marallo ancestors emigrated in the early 1900's. Just wondering is there may be some common relatives.