Letter of No Record of Naturalization USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DaniVerde

Letter of No Record of Naturalization USCIS

Post by DaniVerde »

I'm having so much trouble with this!!

My grandfather never naturalized, and I need the letter to prove it. There is a record of an A-file for him, (which I'd need to make a FOIA request for), but when I wrote to ask for a Letter of No Record of Naturalization, I didn't get a reply. I've written three times since January 2012.

Does anyone have any idea of how to get a response?

Thank you! :)
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Letter of No Record of Naturalization USCIS

Post by corrado »

wow I forgot how to do this, but you go online and pay $20 and in a few months you get a letter of not-found, you send this letter to washington and they give you the no-record letter. Whats this process someone
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

There are several things you can do and I was advised to do all of them and had no questions about this part of my application.

Contact USCIS for a Certified Certificate of Non-Existence of a Record see this link -- http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
I believe you can order this online for $20 but I'm not finding the link right now.

Request a National Archives Search: http://www.archives.gov/research/natura ... index.html

Request a naturalization search from each of the Courts in the jurisdiction where your ancestor lived. They will either send you information or a No Records letter. You can find these online by searching the County Courts where they lived. I found it helpful to give them a call first -- you will often be speaking with the record room or something similar. I believe this is for naturalizations before 1906 and the Federal searches are for after that date, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why don't you also order the A-file? I assume that would prove the alien status for sure. Has anyone done it this way? I ordered my GGparents' Alien Registration Forms online and had them pretty quickly. I believe it is a 2-part search, each for $20, but it sounds like you did the first part already. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
DaniVerde

Post by DaniVerde »

Hi, thank for your responses :)

Getting the A-file would take a FOIA request, since my grandfather didn't go to the United States until he was already an old man, in the late 1960's....and FOIA will take about a year! I already have one of those requests lodged for my father's papers. I was hoping to just get the Letter of No Record withoout having to get the A-file, since I don't really need it.

Does anyone have an email or something for the bureau in Washington?
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I have an address, which is:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Records Operation Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529

A year ago that was sent to the attention of Mike Quinn and got a response, but I don't know if it would still be valid. You want to ask for a certified copy of nonexistence of naturalization record. I gave them the immigrant's name, date and place of birth, residence in U.S. and family members' names. I believe that this particular record does not cost, but I'm not certain. If you want to be sure it arrives, send it by certified mail.

If you want more info PM me.

Karen