Infante

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
benguindon1

Infante

Post by benguindon1 »

Looking for any info on Carmelo or Carmello Infante. Born in Italy abt 1881. He was the son of Michael Angelo Infante and Josepha Dibiasi.He came to Cornwall,Ontario, canada in early 1900s or late 1890s. He married Carmela Zammarrelli in 1911.
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Infante

Post by c6mitchell »

found on familysearch.com/birth of child

spouse:Carmela Zammorrelli
child:Peppina Infante
name:Peppina Infante
event:Birth
event date:02 Jun 1912
event place:Cornwall, Stormont, Ontario
father:Carmelo Infante
Mother:Carmela Zammorrelli
registration year:1912
registration number:049802
digital folder number:4530030
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have this marriage record from July 6, 1911? :-)

Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928 about Carmello Infante
Name: Carmello Infante
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Father Name: Michael Angelo Infante
Mother Name: Josepha Dibiasi Infante
Spouse Name: Carmella Zamarella
Spouse's Age: 20
Spouse Father Name: Watalis Zamarella (First name looks like it is written NATALIS)
Spouse Mother Name: Raphaello Mercurio
Marriage Date: 6 Jul 1911
Marriage County or District: Stormont

Far right column

POSSIBLE arrival manifest into NY in 1898, with destination Canada
Last residence LUSTRA, Italy
Going to "uncle Nicola in Carnevale, Canada"

Line 21 (has correct age) There is also a "Carmela Infante, age 20, on line 20)

T.
benguindon1

Post by benguindon1 »

Tessa, you are absolutely right on the mark.That has to be the correct Carmelo. Sounds like he came over with his aunt Carmela.I can't make out the name on line 22,nor the place of residence of that person, but he too came over sponsored by "uncle Nicola". For the last 5 hours I've been trying to figure out the "Carnevale", thinking it was a person's last name, but your destination of "Carnevalle" just struck me...It's Cornwall, Canada Again a sincere thank you
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :-)

I believe the person on line 22 is from Turkey and not with your relatives. His destination is NY.

However, line 19 has Marianna Tebano, age 40, from Lustra, who is a widow and going to join her BROTHER Nicola, in Canada (Cornwall/Carnevale?)
I believe line 20, CARMELA Infante, age 20; and line 21, CARMELO Infante, age 16, may be siblings, or at least cousins. They are traveling to "uncle Nicola". Could be that Marianna Tebano is their mother.
Marianna would have traveled with her maiden name as all Italian women did, since they kept their maiden names. She may have been the widow of Carmelo's father.

T.
benguindon1

Post by benguindon1 »

I'm such an amateur at this.Marianna Lebano is the person on line 19. Carmela was her daughter.(I have Carmela's marriage certificate to Liberato Battista in Cornwall) and it lists Marianna Lebanon as her mother.Take away the (n) and you have Lebano.Carmelo was Carmela's cousin. They had to come to Cornwall to be with Nicola LEBANO.Carmelo's father was named Michaelangelo and he had to be Marianna's deceased husband Joseph's brother.The Lebano family in Cornwall was at one-time very involved in civic politics.Again, many thanks.

Ben
benguindon1

Post by benguindon1 »

Tessa
Do you by any chance have a ship's manifest for 1891.Carmelo's eventual bride came in 1891. Her name was Carmela Zammarrelli.One was from july 5th and the other was august 16th. The first one had a Carmela Zamirelli and the other was a Carmela Zammarrelli. The residence of Carmela was Rutino, at the time of immigration, but she too was born in Lustra. I'm wondering if she came over with someone else or by herself.

Ben
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

benguindon1 wrote:I'm such an amateur at this.Marianna Lebano is the person on line 19. Carmela was her daughter.(I have Carmela's marriage certificate to Liberato Battista in Cornwall) and it lists Marianna Lebanon as her mother.Take away the (n) and you have Lebano.Carmelo was Carmela's cousin. They had to come to Cornwall to be with Nicola LEBANO.Carmelo's father was named Michaelangelo and he had to be Marianna's deceased husband Joseph's brother.The Lebano family in Cornwall was at one-time very involved in civic politics.Again, many thanks.

Ben
I believe you are correct and the name is spelled with an "L" - Lebano
Both Lebano and Tebano are found today in Lustra...
And your explanation of relationships make sense.

I'll look for a manifest from 1891 :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

benguindon1 wrote:Tessa
Do you by any chance have a ship's manifest for 1891.Carmelo's eventual bride came in 1891. Her name was Carmela Zammarrelli.One was from july 5th and the other was august 16th. The first one had a Carmela Zamirelli and the other was a Carmela Zammarrelli. The residence of Carmela was Rutino, at the time of immigration, but she too was born in Lustra. I'm wondering if she came over with someone else or by herself.

Ben

Hello Ben,

Are you sure about this arrival date?
I have found a July and an August arrival for Carmela in 1910, with a BIRTHDATE of 1891.

Here is the August 1910 arrival of Carmela Zammarelli, age 19, last place of residence is Rutino, but born in Lustra.
Leaving father Natale in Rutino, going to aunt Rosa Mercurcio in Cornwall, Ont. but the first page has Ont. crossed out and Montreal written in.
I also found a Canadian passenger list (continuation of the trip on the Duca Degli Abruzzi) that lists her destination as Montreal, Que., and her occupation is listed as "Servt"
On both manifests she appears to be traveling alone.

NY arrival - Line 21 - page 1

page 2

Canadian passenger list

T.
benguindon1

Post by benguindon1 »

That's all fitting in. The aunt Rosa Mercurio's address was Box 389 Cornwall, Ontario.
Carmela's mother's maiden name was Mercurio.
Ben
rose_briss

Post by rose_briss »

Carmela Infante was my great-grandmother. She was alive when I was born and I remember her funeral (around 1963). I have quite a bit of info on her and the Battista family but very little going backward. Any help would be appreciated.
rose_briss

Post by rose_briss »

Many thanks to Tessa who found my great-grandmother's landing record (Carmela Infante). I hadn't been able to find any record of her arrival although the 1901 Canadian census had a date of 1898.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

rose_briss wrote:Carmela Infante was my great-grandmother. She was alive when I was born and I remember her funeral (around 1963). I have quite a bit of info on her and the Battista family but very little going backward. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi!
If you are looking for your family's records from Lustra (Salerno, Campania), your nearest Family History Center can order civil records for Lustra (SA) for 1866-1929 on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
Valarie

Family History Library Catalog:
https://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/

Film notes for Lustra:
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fh ... umns=*,0,0

Title: Registri dello stato civile di Lustra (Salerno), 1866-1929
Authors: Lustra (Salerno). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)
Notes: Civil registration of births, marriages, banns, deaths, citizenship, and ten year indexes for Lustra, Salerno, Italy. Some years are missing. Includes indexes.
---

And, just in case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Centers Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
https://www.familysearch.org/locations
---

and Italian Records Extraction:
http://www.italygen.info/2010/09/italia ... ction.html