women traveling under maiden names?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
badbatsmoru

women traveling under maiden names?

Post by badbatsmoru »

Someone was recently saying on one of the forums that Italian women often travelled under their maiden name. Is that right? It just got me thinking because....:

On the Ellis Island Passenger arrivals, I found, who I believe to be, my great-grandfather, Antonio Cantore. He arrived in New York in 1897. He apparently came with his mother, Rosa Maria Cantore, and his elder brother, Simone Angiomaria Cantore. The thing is......Rosa is joining her husband Pasquale Simone! Is "Simone" Pasquale's middle name!? I've noticed this happening on the same page (on the Ellis Passenger written list) for different other women. But my great-grandpa's name is Cantore? Help!

Thanks a bunch!
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: women traveling under maiden names?

Post by suanj »

badbatsmoru wrote:Someone was recently saying on one of the forums that Italian women often travelled under their maiden name. Is that right? It just got me thinking because....:

On the Ellis Island Passenger arrivals, I found, who I believe to be, my great-grandfather, Antonio Cantore. He arrived in New York in 1897. He apparently came with his mother, Rosa Maria Cantore, and his elder brother, Simone Angiomaria Cantore. The thing is......Rosa is joining her husband Pasquale Simone! Is "Simone" Pasquale's middle name!? I've noticed this happening on the same page (on the Ellis Passenger written list) for different other women. But my great-grandpa's name is Cantore? Help!

Thanks a bunch!
hi: http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2459060036

on ship's manifest are Maria Rosa CANTORE married to Pasquale SIMONE(Simone is the surname) and the child are Angelo Maria SIMONE and Antonio SIMONE. The errors are of the transcription, but is just on ship's manifest...SIMONE is an surname of Basilicata region, very diffused, and is also an first name; but on ship's manifest is the surname..... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Rats, I thought I had found them. :? Thanks for clearing that up.
Laura
Ritametermaid

Post by Ritametermaid »

According to Italian custom, women retain their "maiden" names. The name you are born with is the name you die with. It was only when women came to the USA did they adopt the American custom of taking their husband's surname. I believe this still holds true today.