Rugito and Martino from Ripacandida/Rionero, Potenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattersfact2

Rugito and Martino from Ripacandida/Rionero, Potenza

Post by mattersfact2 »

I have basically exhausted Ancestry.com for the Rugito surname. In fact, if you find a Rugito or Ruggito in the USA anywhere, they are my family (very few of us). I have reconnected with Rugito cousins in Ripacandida and Torino today, however they know about as much as I do about our great-grandparents.

So...what I know is this:

Abt 1886 (?) - Pantaleone Rugito born. He married Arcangela Martino. I do not know where.

1894 - Donato born to Pantaleone and Arcangela - but various documents conflict on birthplace. It is either Rionero or Ripacandida in Potenza.

1909 - Pantaleone Rugito left Naples, arrived at NYC Feb 1909 on the Prinzess Irene, last residence listed as Ripacandida, Potenza, final destination is Altoona, PA and closest relative at home is wife, Maria Martino (perhaps Maria is a nickname - family living in Italy today confirm her name was Arcangela). He takes a job with the Pennsylvania Railroad in Altoona.

1910 - His son, Donato Antonio Rugito left Naples, arrived in NYC April 1910 on the Barbarossa, living last residence as Ripacandida, Potenza and nearest relative at home as Arcangela Martino, mother and his final destination as Altoona, PA. H

1910 - Both Donato and his father, Pantaleone are living as boarders in Altoona, PA on the 1910 census. The funny part about this is the only reason I really looked into Altoona is because my long lost cousins in Italy today remembered stories that my gr-grandfather went to Altoona, and that was all that they knew about him.

After 1910, I can not locate Pantaleone anywhere. I assume he returned to Italy. He and Arcangela (Maria?) Martino did have other children: Michele, Teresa, Virginia, and another daughter - that information came from my present day cousins, who are also under the impression that Pantaleone never came to America.

1916 - Donato marries my gr-grandmother, Augusta Derenne in Westmoreland County, PA, They reside in Jeannette, PA for the rest of their lives.

1917 - WWI Draft card for Donato - He is listed as being born in Ripacandida, Potenza but he also files a Declaration of Intention that year stating that his birthplace and last residence was Rionero, Italy.

1920 Census - can't locate Donato. Might he possibly have been someplace looking for work? Wife and child are living with wife's family in Jeannette, PA.

1923 - He files a Petition for Naturalization - states he was born in Rionero, Italy.

1924 - He received Certificate of Naturalization

1930 Census - living with wife and children in Jeannette, PA.

1942 - WWII Draft card for Donato - He is listed as being born in Ripacandida, Italy, living in Jeannette, PA.

1950 - Donato passed away. My father never even knew him and he remains a mystery to us today. He never spoke much about his home land, and my present cousins tell me that they were always told that he didn't want to be found.

So.....

First, I would like to clarify where he was born - Rionero or Ripacandida?
Next, I would like to know when Pantaleone returned to Italy.
I would like to know more about Arcangela Martino and her family.

There were siblings born in Torino and some family still live there today, so I am also wondering if the Rugito family was originally a northern family that settled in Potenza. My AncestryDNA came back 92% central European with no mention of southern European or Italian at all.

Then there are the Rugito immigrants that seemed to have migrated to Argentina....and I am sure there are some that went to Brazil....and I can only imagine the potential name variations.

I used to think that my VERY small family of just my pap-pap, dad, sister, and myself were the last of the Rugito clan in the world! LOL

I have not been to a FHC yet. I just found one in my locality, so I do plan to visit, but it looks like it's going to be quite expensive to order all the films for Rionero and Ripacandida, and honestly, it's looking like for the time being, I need more recent rolls than the years listed in the catalog.

I know this post is long - I apologize. It's taken me 15 years to get what little information that I have thus far. The Italian phone directory and Facebook have helped this along considerably. It gets very frustrating, because it's not like I can just hop into a car and visit some courthouse or ask any family if they know anything, but when I do make a breakthrough - it tickles me! :mrgreen: Finding cousins has been the best part so far.
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
vj
Master
Master

Re: Rugito and Martino from Ripacandida/Rionero, Potenza

Post by vj »

mattersfact2 wrote:...
1894 - Donato born to Pantaleone and Arcangela - but various documents conflict on birthplace. It is either Rionero or Ripacandida in Potenza.
First, I would like to clarify where he was born - Rionero or Ripacandida?
Congratulations on your research and on finding your cousins!
And thank you so much for your very informative post.

To hopefully help with your first question:
Since you'll only need one record with the correct town of orgin in Italy to begin your search through Italiain records, have you considered writing to both comunes (towns) for Donato Antonio Rugito's 1894 Birth Record?
You may have the most success requesting this record since you have his date of birth and parent's names.

The comune may have a record of his father's return - there are no records of outgoing passengers from the US.

The following may help, Valarie
---

Research in Italy by writing to the comune:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Addresses

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Ripacandida
Via Santa Maria 20
85020 Ripacandida (PZ)
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/73-ripacandida/
---

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Rionero in Vulture
Via Amedeo di Savoia 9
85028 Rionero in Vulture (PZ)
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/91- ... n-vulture/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
---

Note: you may want to include a self-addressed envelope for the convenience of the comune and a copy of a picture ID of yourself.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You've found some great information on your ancestors... and living cousins, too!!

I looked at the ship manifest for Pantaleone that you referenced, and the 1910 Census. You state that he was born sometime around 1886, but on the manifest he is 48 (DOB about 1861) and on the 1910 Census he is 44 (DOB about 1866). I would search nearer to those dates for his birth record.

Unfortunately, the LDS microfilms for both comunes only go to 1860 :-( - so at this point I would write to the comunes for Panteleone's birth record. You might also request a marriage record (1910 Census has him married 25 years)...

Addresses:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Santa Maria, 20
85020 Ripacandida (PZ)
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Amedeo di Savoia
85028 Rionero in Vulture (PZ)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

FYI - should you want to explore :-D
Here is a link to passenger lists for Argentina (1882-1920
https://sites.google.com/site/barcosdeagnelli/Listado

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hey Valarie! :-D
Sorry about the duplication...you were faster! :-)

T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey T :D !
Wow! Great Job!
Two almost identical responses within one minute!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just for information, in case you don't have this record
It appears that Pantaleone and his son were scheduled to sail together in Jan 1909
Their names were lined-off (did not sail)

http://imageshack.us/a/img846/4286/1909l.jpg

Arrival Date: 29 Jan 1909
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Venezia

lines 16-17
Pantaleon Pumgito (Rugito) 48, abt 1860-1
- shoe maker
- last residence Ripacandida
(Donatantonio) Pumgito (Rugito) 14, abt 1894-5
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

vj wrote: Since you'll only need one record with the correct town of orgin in Italy to begin your search through Italiain records, have you considered writing to both comunes (towns) for Donato Antonio Rugito's 1894 Birth Record?
This is an excellent suggestion - thank you VERY much for all the links and resources to help me along the way. This seems like the most logical next step for me.

And thank you also, for the AWESOME ship's manifest image. Very cool! So, they were going to leave together earlier that year and something prevented their departure. Interesting. I didn't realize that I could search for manifests for departing ports. It never dawned on me that manifests existed for departures, so I concentrated only on arrivals. Of course, when I look up that ship, they are not on the arrival manifest, as was indicated on this image with their names crossed out. Shoemaker, huh? LOL
Tessa78 wrote:I looked at the ship manifest for Pantaleone that you referenced, and the 1910 Census. You state that he was born sometime around 1886, but on the manifest he is 48 (DOB about 1861) and on the 1910 Census he is 44 (DOB about 1866).
T.
Yes - that was a typo on my part. LOL I did mean 1866. Thank you for the links and suggestions - I have to give this a try and write directly to the sources. That link for Argentina Passenger lists is cool! Thank you!

I can't believe how much info you both provided. Thank you again. I really appreciate it and will keep you updated on what I learn from the communes. :mrgreen:

vj wrote: lines 16-17
Pantaleon Pumgito (Rugito) 48, abt 1860-1
- shoe maker
- last residence Ripacandida
(Donatantonio) Pumgito (Rugito) 14, abt 1894-5
This is still blowing me away. Shoemaker! LOL :lol:
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
Danato1

Post by Danato1 »

Hello, my name is Daniel Gioiosa and I have been doing some ancestry searching on my grandparents . I found this website and your posting and noticed some similar information. My grandparents were both born in 1884, grandfather Michele Gioiosa was born in NATO in Ripacandida and my grandmother Anna Rose Martino was born in NATO in Rianero, Vulture. They were married in Italy an came through Ellis Island and settled in Altoona,Pa.

I have done some research on the Gioiosa surname, now I'm looking into the Martino side. It sounds like you've done a lot of research. If you have anything on the Martino side you would like to share, possible relative?
Thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Danato1 wrote:Hello, my name is Daniel Gioiosa and I have been doing some ancestry searching on my grandparents . I found this website and your posting and noticed some similar information. My grandparents were both born in 1884, grandfather Michele Gioiosa was born in NATO in Ripacandida and my grandmother Anna Rose Martino was born in NATO in Rianero, Vulture. They were married in Italy an came through Ellis Island and settled in Altoona,Pa.

I have done some research on the Gioiosa surname, now I'm looking into the Martino side. It sounds like you've done a lot of research. If you have anything on the Martino side you would like to share, possible relative?
Thanks
Hello Daniel! Welcome to the forum :-)

Here is the marriage for your grandparents, Michele and Anna Rosa
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,57068201

Translation:
Act of Marriage
Record #40
Between Michele Gioiosa and Anna Rosa Martino
Dated 26 November 1904 at 11:20 AM at the town office in Ripacandida, open to the public…
Before the official appeared
1. Michele Gioiosa, age 20, peasant farmer born in Ripacandida, residing in Ripacandida, son of Donato [Gioiosa] and of Carminella Petta, both residing in Ripacandida;
AND
2. Anna Rosa Martino, age 19, peasant farmer born in Rionero in Vulture, residing in Ripacandida, daughter of Michele [Martino] and of Elisabetta Laragione, both residing in Ripacandida.

Banns of marriage were posted on 13 and 20 November 1904.

T.
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

HEY! This is cool! Daniel, I think we just MAY be cousins!! :-)

Guess what one of my Italian cousin's surname is....Gioiosa! Check out her Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/lu.gioiosa She just recently moved to Sydney, Australia, but is also from Ripacandida. Her full name is Luigia, her father is a Gioiosa, her mother, a Rugito. She is my third cousin. Also on Facebook are Maria Musto and Nella Santarsieri - both are also 3rd cousins.

My Martino was born in 1866, so given her age, I would think that your Anna Rosa Martino might have been a niece? Could it be that your Michele Martino and my Arcangela Martino are siblings? I don't have any information on her other than what I wrote in my initial post. These villages are not very large, however, so it's too uncanny to have 2 surnames similar between us from the same 2 locales and not have a connection.

If I've assumed correctly, your Anna Rosa Martino would be my 1st cousin 3x removed.

And that would make you and I 3rd cousins 1x removed.

Benvenuto alla famiglia, cugino!
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

Quick note - I sent Lu a message on Facebook and asked if she knows any of these names. We shall soon see!!
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
Danato1

Post by Danato1 »

Hey Gina, this is getting crazy, more family I love it. Can't wait to here back from your cousin. I noticed your an artist... well guess what, my brother is also an artist. Google Gregory Gioiosa and check out his work.I'll be waiting to hear back from you.
Donato
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

Lu never did get back to me, but she's recently moved to Australia, she's young and not that interested in family history (yet), and the people who would know these things are her parents, aunts, uncles, etc.

It's ok, I found more clues and I think I see the connection now.

On one of the archived newspaper websites, I found articles from Altoona, PA with my gr-gr-grandfather in them. His name was Panteleone Rugito. He came to the USA first, followed shortly thereafter by my gr-grandfather Donato.

Anyway, the newspaper articles are about back and forth petty court proceedings for different things at different times with a Mike Gugliamucci (Michele Guglielmucci), and the articles say that these men are brothers-in-law. So I looked back at the 1910 census in Altoona, the only one that ever showed Panteleone living in the States....guess what, he and Donato are boarders with the Gugliamucci family. So I went to the immigration passenger lists and found the Gugliamucci family and GUESS WHAT----->the wife's name is Martino!

Now, I notice that the family eventually adopted the mother's maiden name of Martino and anglicized it to Martin. Perhaps it was a move to become more "American". In any case this is the third Martino to show up in this mystery.

Don't rule out research in Blue Island, Illinois either. Many from Ripacandida came to America to settle in Blue Island via Altoona, PA.

Still looking into this deeper, mio cugino.
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

Just checked out Greg's work - very cool! He's well established with an impressive portfolio. I wish I was creative enough to think outside the box in an abstract way. I work almost exclusively in photo-realism and illustration styles. I can't quit the day job, but I do fairly well around Christmas. ;-) I guess there is a creativity gene at work here, huh? Someday, I may be juried into enough exhibitions to be a "signature" artist...who knows after that. LOL
~Gina Rugito-Anderson
mattersfact2

Post by mattersfact2 »

Well, I have come a little further and discovered that Donato Rugito's father, Pantaleone Ruggito, was an abandoned child. This is listed for every one of his children's birth records and all statements in the Allegati for his marriage to Mariangiola (Arcangela) Martino. I don't know much more than that, however. I have requested some assistance in translating 2 of the documents from the Allegati.

It also seems that everyone so far has been from Ripacandida, with the exception of the mother of Mariangiola Martino - her mother was Anna Rosa Mele, from Rionero. :-)
~Gina Rugito-Anderson