Lembo family campo basso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Lembo family campo basso

Post by MEMELELE »

I am trying to find info on the Lembo family in campo basso. Gaetano Lembo married Carmela Lembo in Italy. They had 4 children, 3 who were born in Italy. Attilio, Vincenzo, Mary. Gaetano left for America alone and arrived at Ellis Island around
1907. He went back to Italy to bring back Carmela, and the 3 children in 1924. Any additional info wld be great!
Lisa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Lembo family campo basso

Post by Tessa78 »

MEMELELE wrote:I am trying to find info on the Lembo family in campo basso. Gaetano Lembo married Carmela Lembo in Italy. They had 4 children, 3 who were born in Italy. Attilio, Vincenzo, Mary. Gaetano left for America alone and arrived at Ellis Island around
He went back to Italy to bring back Carmela, and the 3 children in 1924. Any additional info wld be great!
Lisa
Is this your Gaetano? Arriving NY 2 March 1907
Last residence: Campobasso
married, occupation - shoemaker
Going to brother-in-law, Pasquale Pietrinati(?) at 73 Bayard St. NYC

Line 1
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

Maybe Carmela's maiden name was Pietrinati?

An additional manifest of 20 July 1914 arriving Boston, MA
Leaving wife Carmela in Naples at Via Paradiso #65(?)
Going to Providence, RI, to brother=in-law Giovanni Pietrinati(sp?) at 12 Union St.

page 1 - line 4

page 2

On this later manifest (1924) Gaetano is traveling with his family, including wife Carmela, children Maria, Vincenzo and Attilio (the children have notations that citizenship process had at least begun)
Gaetano is leaving his brother, LUIGI, in Naples at Vico Paradiso Alla Salute (the name of the street/road)
Their destination is HOME at 175 Mulberry St., NYC

Lines 11 and following
Page 2

T.
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Thank you so much T. for your response. Yes, I've seen the manifests for 1907 and 1924, but never made the connection with the one in 1914. I will def look into that. It seems my great-grandfather liked living the "single" life for quite a while LOL. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I may have your family in my database:

Gaetano Lembo, age 28, son of Vincenzo and Maria Lucia Cassiano, married Carmela Pietrunti, age 20, daughter of Domenicangelo and Palma Rosa Mastropietro, on 16 APR 1905 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733315/MATRIMONI 1905/Numero 34, 16 April 1905.

Carmela Pietrunti did have a brother named Giovanni, who was married to Angiola Fede. Carmela Pietrunti is my 4C3R, our common ancestors being Saverio Criscenzo Antonio Guastaferro (ch. 16 SEP 1716) and Anna di Trotta (ch. 03 MAY 1719).
John Armellino
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Wow. I am dumbfounded - but so appreciative John for your help. I am a novice at this but how can I confirm this info? Can I ask where did you find this info, Family History Center? Many thanks. This is definitely going to get me started. To think, we are related, although distant. How cool is that? Btw, any other info wld be greatly appreciated.
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

John, also Gaetano and Carmela's daughter, Mary is my grandmother.

Regards, Lisa
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Lisa, it looks like we are 7th cousins. We are also related somewhat more distantly on several other lines. The civil records of Campobasso, 1809-1910, have been filmed by the LDS. They have not been put online yet, but can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers. The church records have not been filmed and in order to research those records you have to actually go to Campobasso.

The marriage record of Gaetano Lembo and Carmela Pietrunti states that he was 28 years old and was born in CB. However, I did an index search from 1873 to 1879 and could not found his birth record. The marriage record also states that Gaetano's parents were residing in Napoli. It's possible that the family originated there. Nevertheless, Lembo is an old surname in CB. I've found it as early as 1636 and it probably predates that. Originally it was "di Lembo or di Lemmo". Pietrunti is also an old and distinguished surname of CB that dates back to the earliest records.

At least one branch of your family originated elsewhere. Your 4GGM Rachela Serracino (possibly Sarasini, Saracina, Seracino, ot Serracina - it's spelled different ways on various records), daughter of Leo and Maria Giuseppa Tosti, was born circa 1785 in San Martino (now known as San Martino in Pencilis). a small town about 40 miles from CB.

If you would like some additional info, especially on your Pietrunti line, send me an e-mail at armellino at yahoo dot com.
John Armellino
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

John, wondering why Gaetano's last name is different from his parents?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Gaetano Lembo, age 28, son of Vincenzo Lembo and Maria Lucia Cassiano...

He does have the same surname of his father.
John Armellino
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Duh, sorry I didn't get it.......now I do. This is so confusing, lol. I sent you an email with a pic of Carmela Pietrunti (Lembo). Did you get it?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I received your email. What a beautiful picture! Thank you. I'm putting together a few charts for you and will send them shortly.
John Armellino
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Yay! Many thanks!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I found Gaetano Lembo's birth record on Tuesday night at the FHC. He was not born with the surname Lembo, but rather his mother's surname of Cassiano:

Gaetano Errico Carmine Cassiano, son of Maria Lucia Cassiano and a man who does not consent to be named, was born 17 JUL 1876 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733188/NATI 1876/Numero 292, 21 JUL 1876.

He was later recognized by his father as his legitimate child. Marginalia was added to his birth record which stated that, in accordance with a record sworn to on 29 JUL 1904 in Napoli. he was recognized by Vincenzo Lembo fu Pasquale as his legitimate son. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1733188/NATI 1876/Numero 292/marginalia, 29 JAN 1909.

Considering the date of the atto di recognizione (29 JUL 1904) and the date of his marriage (05 APR 1905), he probably sought out the former in order to validate his father's consent to the marriage.
John Armellino
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Hi John, many thanks for the info. Wow! Never heard that story before. Sad really. Question....Vincenzo Lembo fu Pasquale. WTH does that mean? Deceased? Bear with me.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Yes, it mean Vincenzo Lembo was the son of the late Pasquale (1.e., Pasquale Lembo died before 29 JUL 1904).
John Armellino