Intrepreting Church Death Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Intrepreting Church Death Record

Post by rp76226 »

From the Mormon site, image 520 for death records 1816-1837, left side of the page, next to the last name on bottom, Francesco Bartolotta, when did he die? Here's the URL:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... J:30531258

Is Leggio Bernarola his mother or his wife? Is an age given? What does it say after her name?
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Intrepreting Church Death Record

Post by erudita74 »

rp76226 wrote:From the Mormon site, image 520 for death records 1816-1837, left side of the page, next to the last name on bottom, Francesco Bartolotta, when did he die? Here's the URL:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... J:30531258

Is Leggio Bernarola his mother or his wife? Is an age given? What does it say after her name?

Dated Feb 7, 1836. He died on the 6th (yesterday) and was the 3 year old son of Vincenzo Bartolotta and Bernarda Leggio.

Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thank you. Was that in Latin? Where did you find the year? Is the month and day above in the middle? I need to look at more of these records and am trying to get a format down to make it easier. Ron
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

rp76226 wrote:Thank you. Was that in Latin? Where did you find the year? Is the month and day above in the middle? I need to look at more of these records and am trying to get a format down to make it easier. Ron
Yes, this church record is in Latin. In later years, you may find them written in Italian.

to find the date, you first need to go right above your entry. In the middle you see a 7 followed by a word. The word that is there is a form of the word eiusdem which means "the same"

The entry above yours has a 5 in front of this word, so the day is the 5th. The one above that has a 4, so the day is the 4th. You need to keep going up the page until you come to an entry which also has a month and a year. The first entry which has both is the one which has "die Prima februari 1836". So now you have your month and year. The only thing that has changed in the entries below this one is the day. If there is no day written than the day is the same as the entry before it.

This list of Latin terms may be of help to you.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/rea ... 0975193376

There are, unfortunately, a lot of abbreviations in Latin church records. Sometimes letters are omitted from words and you will find a letter up in the air where the omitted letters were. While I can now read a lot of what is in these Church documents, I am not fluent in reading them

You also have burial information in your record which I did not add to the translation.

See where it says "obiit heri et sepultus eccla reformati" -died yesterday and buried (eccla is an abbreviation for the word ecclesia which means church) -reformati is just the word reformed.

Hope this helps, Ron
Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thank you very much.