Visiting Sicily at last.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ceejaylo

Visiting Sicily at last.

Post by Ceejaylo »

Hi, I need some practical information please. We have finally made it to Sicily, what a wonderful country. One of the reasons we are here is to follow up on our family tree -
Lo Galbo. The family are from Bagheria and Misilmari which is nearby. I need to get a hold of some or at least have sight of, birth & marriage certificates, where would I go to do this research? Am I able to do the research myself? Is there a research fee? Any help appreciated... it's our intention to go into Bagheria on this Monday 14th Oct...
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Visiting Sicily at last.

Post by Joannsalvo »

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Visiting Sicily at last.

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to City Hall (anagrafe/stato civile office). If you don't speak Italian make a written list of the documents you want to see.
eg. Surname, first name, name of father, date of birth
There is not usually a fee. They MAY let you take photos, if not ask for photocopies.
Alternatively go to the church. Ask at the nearby bar who has the key if the church is not open. Be sure to buy a coffee or water when you are there. Make a donation to the church if someone shows you inside. 10 euro is fine.
Have a great day.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.