Writing for birth records or hiring professional

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Writing for birth records or hiring professional

Post by jkingb »

I posted here several weeks ago and received great feedback and advice from this wonderful community, so here I go again, moving onto the next step..

I would like to request birth records from Gassino Torinese, and am wondering if anyone can tell me how long it
typically takes for a response (from any given comune, for that matter)? I found a professional genealogist who I am considering contacting if there is a chance an in-person visit can provide faster access to the documents - but I am not sure of this. Has anyone had experience with going in person to request records? Is this even an option? Since I have all the information I need, I would only use the genealogist in order to physically retrieve the records, not for any actual research. So, if this isn't a faster option than writing. I would rather not spend the money. Any advice?

Also, the address to the comune I have is:
Comune di Torino
Piazza Palazzo di Città 1
10122 Torino TO
Italia

Is this correct? For future reference, is there a resource that lists addresses of the various Italian communes, or does one have to go onto the individual websites?

Thank you in advance!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Writing for birth records or hiring professional

Post by adelfio »

I just did a favor for someone for a birth record from Comune di S Stefano di Camastra it was email request it took 3 weeks with a postal response with copy of the record
Heres the snail mail for UFFICI DEMOGRAFICI of Comune di Gassino send your request here
PG LINK
http://www.gassino.it/servizi/Menu/dina ... t=10&ID=49

Comune di Gassino Torinese
Piazza A. Chiesa, 3
Gassino Torinese (TO)
Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you, Marty.

I just searched online for form letters, and almost all mention money. Am I supposed to send a payment to the
commune for this service? Would an in-person request be faster?

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

jkingb wrote:Thank you, Marty.

I just searched online for form letters, and almost all mention money. Am I supposed to send a payment to the
commune for this service? Would an in-person request be faster?

Thanks!
No money sure in person would be faster I would try the email who are you sending for and whats the year they were born

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thanks. I tried email, but no responses, just an automated postal response that I didn't quite understand - not sure exactly what the purpose of that is.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What about the film records of Comune di Gassino Torinese from Family History Center wouldn't that be a easier way to go instead of writing for records
You can view and copy them and post them on here for translation
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
ORDERING RECORDS FROM FHC
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

COPY OF A MARKED BIRTH RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you. For Torino, yes. But I have another line from Cesena (mid 1800s) and I don't
believe records were available on familysearch for that region.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

oh - one more thing.. Should I include a copy of my photo id or wait for them to request it?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Send a copy of your photo ID. Most towns want some form of ID especially for photocopies.
Records by mail take typically 4-6 weeks. The average is 30 days.
Only consider hiring a professional to get your records if the town doesn't respond to your requests. Some towns will ignore requests from overseas that aren't crystal clear, OR they put off doing it until they have time (mostly never). A professional should know how to overcome these issues.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.