Looking for family of DiVita/Pisciotta/Leone/Rizzo/Cardella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
randirae

Looking for family of DiVita/Pisciotta/Leone/Rizzo/Cardella

Post by randirae »

My Grandparents were Apolonia Pisciotta (her parents were Pietro Pisciotta and Pietra Rizzo)and Filippo DiVita (or DeVita)(his parents were Carl DiVita and Angelina Cardella), both born in or near Palermo, Sicily. They married and settled in Chicago. I have extensive info on my grandmother's side as far back as her birth in 1890 (would always like more) but am having a very difficult time with my grandfather DiVita's family history. He came from Altavilla Milica, Sicily and "worked with sheep" before he came to the US in 1900. His sister Filippa DiVita came with her husband Eduardo Leone and children in 1906. I have met some of the Leone's, but still no info on the Divita side of the family. Any info or new contacts from the DiVita/Pisciotta/Rizzo/Leone/Cardella family history would be much appreciated.
Tanti, cari, Saluti...
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for family of DiVita/Pisciotta/Leone/Rizzo/Carde

Post by brujaojos »

randirae wrote:My Grandparents were Apolonia Pisciotta (her parents were Pietro Pisciotta and Pietra Rizzo)and Filippo DiVita (or DeVita)(his parents were Carl DiVita and Angelina Cardella), both born in or near Palermo, Sicily. They married and settled in Chicago. I have extensive info on my grandmother's side as far back as her birth in 1890 (would always like more) but am having a very difficult time with my grandfather DiVita's family history. He came from Altavilla Milica, Sicily and "worked with sheep" before he came to the US in 1900. His sister Filippa DiVita came with her husband Eduardo Leone and children in 1906. I have met some of the Leone's, but still no info on the Divita side of the family. Any info or new contacts from the DiVita/Pisciotta/Rizzo/Leone/Cardella family history would be much appreciated.
Hi There,

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for about $3.50 a roll depending on your location.

Here the link for the film numbers
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is the correct spelling of the town's name.
Altavilla Milicia, Palermo, Sicily, Italy

Also, I think this could be you Filippo in the 1920 census in Illinois. I know someone in the group will post it for you.

Name: Philip Deveta
[Philip Devita]
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 24, Cook (Chicago), Illinois
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1898
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 177
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Chicago Ward 24, Cook (Chicago), Illinois; Roll: T625_336; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 1383; Image: 177.

I hope this helps for now.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
randirae

Post by randirae »

Trish, Thanks for the info! I did locate the 1920 and 1930 census for my grandparents, and I have a 1906 marriage license, and his SS death record, but I have not been able to find ANY imigration/naturalization info nor any Italian records! I will go to my local LDS genealogy center tomorrow to request the record I need! A new lead! I am SO excited!! Thanks again!
Randi
Tanti, cari, Saluti...
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

randirae wrote:Trish, Thanks for the info! I did locate the 1920 and 1930 census for my grandparents, and I have a 1906 marriage license, and his SS death record, but I have not been able to find ANY imigration/naturalization info nor any Italian records! I will go to my local LDS genealogy center tomorrow to request the record I need! A new lead! I am SO excited!! Thanks again!
Randi
Hi Randi,

I found this on Pietro. I believe this could be him coming throu Castle Garden (pre-Ellis Island). I know someone will post it for you. (thank you :) )

Name: Pietro Pisciotta
Arrival Date: 9 Apr 1890
Estimated Birth Year: 1857
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy and Palermo, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Palermo,Italy
Ship Name: Utopia
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 20
Microfilm Roll: 545
List Number: 441

For Naturaliztion records, to write the county that you ancestor lived in while he was in Illinois.

If not here is information from NARA.
http://www.archives.gov/great-lakes/chi ... cords.html

Hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
randirae

Post by randirae »

That looks like it could be him. And if I remember right, the wife and 3 kids came later that spring. Did the females travel under their maiden name? What about the kids? I found people with their first names...followed by Rizzo, my great grandma's maiden name.
Also...

For Naturaliztion records, to write the county that you ancestor lived in while he was in Illinois.

I couldn't find any Cook county, Illinois Records, but now am wondering if they might have started the process in Ohio or Pensylvania, where they were in 1900 and 1910. I remember now why I took a break. It's exhausing, but so exciting when you find just one little thing!! I have found so much, but am missing so much more!

Thanks for your time in helping me research! you are awesome!
By the way, are Italian men harder to trace than women? That's been my experience so far!
Randi
Tanti, cari, Saluti...
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here is the ship record for Pietro Pisciotta that Trish located for you

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8751/image8sf.gif

mfjp :P
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

randirae wrote:That looks like it could be him. And if I remember right, the wife and 3 kids came later that spring. Did the females travel under their maiden name? What about the kids? I found people with their first names...followed by Rizzo, my great grandma's maiden name.
Randi
Hi Randi,

Most of the time women traveled under their maiden names. However, there are times when they traveled with their husbands that they went by their married name.

Children could be under mother's name or father's name. It all depends on the person who took the information. You may see the mother's name listed with the children and then a notation is written down about the father's surname.

Also, when you search for records in Italy and/or the microfilm from the Family History Center, the women will always be referred to by their maiden name. They never take the name of their spouse.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Also, I think this could be you Filippo in the 1920 census in Illinois. I know someone in the group will post it for you.

Name: Philip Deveta
[Philip Devita]
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 24, Cook (Chicago), Illinois
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1898
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 177
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Chicago Ward 24, Cook (Chicago), Illinois; Roll: T625_336; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 1383; Image: 177.

I hope this helps for now.
Trish
1920 census record

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2150/image14nu.gif

mfjp

p.s. Can you name Filippo's other siblings who travelled to the US?
italgrrl

Post by italgrrl »

Hi there, I am trying to track down info on the Daveta family and I noticed your posting. I know there are so many different spellings of the name but I imagine that they all originally came from the same family.

My great-grandfather's name is Carlo D'Aveta and he married Adelaide DiMario of Terracina. I imagine he was from that area as well. They eventually settled in the Boston area.

I hope this helps. IF you have any info to share with me, please write back.

Thanks,
Francine Daveta
mstan

Post by mstan »

I am new it Genealogy. This is what I know about Cardella family.
My grandmother was Giovanna Cardella. Born in Alta Villa Sicily in 1880. Her parent, my great grand parents, are Blase (spell. ?) Cardella and Madelena Parisi.
Madelana, Giovanna, and Vincenzo Cardella bd: 1987) came to Chicago in 1897.
Giovanna married Gaspare Farina in 1898 in Chicago. They had 7 children 1899-1919.
I don't know if the great grand father Blase or Biago made it to the US.

Marie