Military records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Military records

Post by elmosgirl »

My great-uncle, born 1886, arrived in America 1907.
He declared his intention to naturalize in June, 1917
when registering for the draft.
He stated he’d served with the 46th Regiment in Italy for 6 months.
He was naturalized in June, 1918 while serving in the US Army at
Camp Funston, Manhattan, Kansas.
He died October, 1925.

The State Archive in Naples sent a copy of his military papers
upon my request.

I then requested the same for my grandfather, born in 1881, naturalized May 1905, hoping to receive perhaps a registration, maybe a record of service for the family records?

The Archives replied:

La consultazione dei Ruoli matricolari ha avuto esito negativo. Si consiglia di rivolgersi al Ministero Difesa Esercito per tentare la ricostruzione del Foglio matricolare. Distinti saluti.

Your suggestions on what I might do next, if anything, will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Noel
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Military records

Post by adelfio »

Maybe your grandfather didn't serve or register in the Italian Army when did he come over

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lisajenkins1981

Post by lisajenkins1981 »

Hi Noel,

I would like to request my GGF military papers from Naples. Do you have an address? Do you have verbage of what you wrote. Was there a cost?

Thanks for you time, Lisa Jenkins
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

Thanks Marty, He came in March 1901. My understanding was that every male age 18 had to at least register. Obviously, some did not!
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

Hello Lisa,

This is the way I did it. There are different opinions on the Forum, but this is what's worked for me.

I wrote to the State Archives (address below), I made my letter very to-the-point and as brief as I could. Include family member's full name, birth date, parents' names if you have them, comune where born. I enclosed a photo of my passport ( I understand you can use a drivers license; this is to verify you are who you say you are, are a family member, etc etc). Maybe you don't have to do this but with every letter I've sent to various official places in Italy I've done this and have always had a response.

Some offices, not all, will use email and I always include that address on my letter heading. In my experience (just mine) it's more acceptable to send snail mail first. If the official responds in email, then continue to use it. Just an initial courtesy that can pay off!

I use boiler-plate letters and/or Goggle translate. Takes time but is worth it because my Italian is not the best.

When I wrote the Archives the first time, they emailed in reply with the records, attaching a scan to the mail in pdf format. Pretty neat!

No cost involved except the original postage stamp!

Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Napoli
Piazzetta Grande Archivo, 5
80138 Napoli, ITALY

Conscription records: registro di leva
Military service: registro dei fogli matricolari

Hope this helps. Be patient, replies can take awhile.

Noel
lisajenkins1981

Post by lisajenkins1981 »

Thanks Noel, I will do that today! Much appreciated