Seeking Information on Cosentino/Patti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nanci

Post by Nanci »

I am seeking information on my grandparents. Both are long since deceased and so are 7 of their 8 children, so we have no direct source of credible information.
<BR>
<BR>I believe I located both of their immigration records on the Ellis Island website. My grandfather, Salvatore Cosentino, passed through Ellis Island in June 22, 1904 (date also confirmed via 1930 census) at age 20 on the Prinz Adalbert (spelling from website). It indicates he came from Prento in southern Italy. I have no idea where this is as he was from Carlentini in Sicily.
<BR>
<BR>My grandmother, Nunziatta Patti, immigrated in January 28, 1907 at age 26 yrs on the ship Madanna and her place of residence as Carlentini, which I believe is correct.
<BR>
<BR>Can anyone tell me where I can go to try and get birth information on either or both. I have no date information on my grandmother, I do have a supposed birthdate on my grandfather of March 22, 1883.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks in advance. I am new to this long-distance research and am completely addicted.
Nanci Cosentino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

First of all there is no Prento in Italy so stick with what you know. Errors abound in the heyday of immigration. As for your grandmother all youy need is her year of birth along with her full maiden name for documents. Subtract the age from her arrival date into the US and you will get her year of birth. Go to www.circolocalabrese.org and then click researches and you can then access towns and postal codes as well as form letters in Italian. Send them along with a self addressed envelope and $5.00 for stamps. Peter
Nanci

Post by Nanci »

Peter, thank you for the confirmation regarding my grandfather\'s place of residence. You confirm what I already believed that Ellis Island personnel were not very careful or accurate with records.
<BR>
<BR>Perhaps you can advise me regarding another point. You said to send my grandmother\'s full maiden name. That is a problem. We are not sure of her name. She was referred (I\'m told) as Nuziatta Patti by folks and her children assumed that was her maiden name, and that is the name that appears on the immigration manifest. However, later (when my dad died, the funeral home found that her naturalization papers showed that her name was Manigameli). Without an exact year of birth (I can come within 2 years of it by subtracting age from year of arrival, as you say) and without being sure of the name, what would you suggest. Should I send 2 inquiries one with each name or one inquiry with both names?
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Nanci Cosentino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

two separate inquiries. Form 81 to Nara right? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The passenger arrival record form 81 to NARA will give you her entry name and data. Her naturalizxation papers should have given you date of birth. Did you apply for her decelaration of intent which has more info. ?Peter