Does 'last residence' really mean their hometown? Now what?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Does 'last residence' really mean their hometown? Now what?

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks so much for great link for writing to Ufficio Anagraffe and Ufficio dello Stato Civile. Unfortunately, both offices just replied non figura inanagrafe for Giuseppa Favara. All I have to go on is her passenger data which clearly states Castelvetrano and her age at arrival in NYC for an appoximate birth year (USA census records vary).

Is it reasonable to assume she is from the town listed? Maybe I need to try various dates of birth, though at $30.00 to send letters, am hesitant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you : )
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Does 'last residence' really mean their hometown? Now wh

Post by Tessa78 »

BlissIs wrote:Thanks so much for great link for writing to Ufficio Anagraffe and Ufficio dello Stato Civile. Unfortunately, both offices just replied non figura inanagrafe for Giuseppa Favara. All I have to go on is her passenger data which clearly states Castelvetrano and her age at arrival in NYC for an appoximate birth year (USA census records vary).

Is it reasonable to assume she is from the town listed? Maybe I need to try various dates of birth, though at $30.00 to send letters, am hesitant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you : )
According to Antonino Lanzarone's Petition for Naturalization, his wife, Giuseppa was born in Castelvetrano :-) So I think you are correct about her birthplace.

You should write directly to the Comune of Castelvetrano. There is NO CHARGE for the birth record. Give them her name (maiden name) and her approx. year of birth, and send some form of Identification of yourself.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I
91022 Castelvetrano (TP)
ITALY

Help with letter of request in Italian... (there is NO fee!!)
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

WOW! Am shaking in laughter, so relieved to finally have some documentation. Thank you so much!
omg holy smokes
So I wrote to the wrong places? Sure do appreciate being informed. USA postage costs $15.00 for each one page letter I had sent as recommended by circolocalabrese.org. Will follow through. Much appreciation, T.
If you are willing and able please send Antonino's document pages to me (email:troynygene at live dot com) And please let me know if I owe you any money. (Can only print left side of image.)
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

T,
Just noticed the address you have offered is same Ufficio dello Stato Civile per circocolalabrese.org. They have negatively responded.
The second line of address used was 'Comune di Castelvetrano', while yours is 'Piazza Umberto I'.
The letter head of reply reads 'Citta' Di Castelvetrano Provincia Di Trapani'.
I apologize for my lack of knoweledge. Is this the same office or another, please? Thank you.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Don't know if you have birth record of Antonino Lanzarone here it is

INDEX#56
1885 Feb 2nd in the town of Santa Margherita di Belice in a house on strada Nunzio birth of Antonino Lanzarone son of Baldosarre Lanzarone age 23 blacksmith and Grazia Zummo

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349552002

There are film records of Castelvetrano at the Family History Library for rent and viewing
Registri dello stato civile di Castelvetrano (Trapani), 1820-1910. Births, marriages, deaths, miscellaneous documents, banns, citizenship records, supplements. Includes ten-year indexes
I would try this route first before letter writing. It should only cost you $1.40 to send a letter to Italy for your request.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BlissIs wrote:WOW! Am shaking in laughter, so relieved to finally have some documentation. Thank you so much!
omg holy smokes
So I wrote to the wrong places? Sure do appreciate being informed. USA postage costs $15.00 for each one page letter I had sent as recommended by circolocalabrese.org. Will follow through. Much appreciation, T.
If you are willing and able please send Antonino's document pages to me (email:troynygene at live dot com) And please let me know if I owe you any money. (Can only print left side of image.)
BlissIs
I have sent you a PM (private message) which you can pick up by clicking on Control Panel, new messages, above...

And Marty is correct about the postage... first class airmail letter should only cost you $2.10 these days. No need for "certified" or "registered" mail...

Here is a link in Ancestry.com for a manifest (July 1899) listing Antonino Lanzarone and his brother Giambattista Lanzarone. Both are barbers, age 14 and 12, respectively. joining their mother Grazia Zummo, and a sister, in Brooklyn.
On this manifest they are crossed out, which could mean they are listed elsewhere on the manifest, or they did not sail on this trip. (Last two lines on manifest)

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Antonino Langarone
Name: Antonino Langarone
[Antonino Lanzarone]
Arrival Date: 27 Jul 1899
Birth Date: abt 1885
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Trojan Prince

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

T.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Adelfio
Sorry am new at this and don't know how to reply to individual responses.
oh Thank you! No I did not have Antonino birth, nor am I able to see it clearly on fam search. Wow! So appreciate having. And you writing what it actually says in English. Thank you!

Yes, spent another 12 straight hours searching for Giuseppa yesterday. Finally found how to get to fam search pages for Castelvetrano. No luck! Birth records end before her possible birth. Records to 1910 are marriage records. She and Antonino married in Brooklyn, I don't know when. Have searched all the NYC marriage listings online and found another Favara but not them...................so far.

Am a bit jaded with records after several years and over 2,000 hours and never being able to track my own GGF, for my 88 yr old dad, in Germany. Census and cemetery dates of birth in USA (and some names) are drastically different from dates in Germany. Also took local LDS, after saying she'd do it 'right-away,' more than 6 months to offer any help and she never ordered film I had requested two days after first contact. It turned out, after three years further searching, to be the only piece of reference to ever surface in Germany. I see I need to let it go. Resistance begets resistance.

Thank you for your kind help. I am so touched by the responsiveness of you and T; truly heart warming : )
It is Giuseppa my daughter is so enamored with and I hope to find. Apparently, they look exactly alike. My daughter's been fascinated with her GGM since she was a little girl.

Many thanks for your kind assistance : )
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Tessa

Many, many thanks. Got naturalization image via saving a jpg, then printing. yippeeee! No access thru ancestrydotcom

Oh, thanks so much for postage update! Phew!, as my grandpa often said. hahaha

Wow, cannot see linked pages without Ancestry membership. I was w/o a printer for quite a while and have to check through my handwritten notes. I seem to recall two young boys going to a parent. God Bless You! I wasn't able to decipher the mother's name, that I do recall...thank you! Can now search his parents in USA.......hmmmmmmm I didn't see the cross outs. Will try to relocate record, certainly simplified by your providing an accurate DOB : )

Sad to say, I have had such a struggle (unsuccessful) with my German heritage, I see my perspective of doubt has been clouding my approach to reliable Italian data. Appreciate this coming into view, thanks to you and Adelfio : )

I'm going to pick one of the SSDI's for Giuseppa's and write to Castelvetrano again. Am I to include cash in request, per angelfire letters?

I so appreciate your kind help.

Please enjoy what comes,
BlissIs
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to help :-)

Do not include any money with the letter of request. You MAY include a self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope as a courtesy...

As for Ancestry... you can use a free trial to print out your documents.

Here is the image for the ship manifest from 1899
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify (to see destination more clearly)

T.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks, Tessa.

Will send envelope; appreciate your recommendation.
Have been holding off on Ancestry trial so I can secure all I can for all three lineages when I do get access; am still preparing.

Thanks for image. I see the cross outs. I found my notes. I had temproary free access to original document and had found Antonino Lanzarione, age 15, from S.Marghertia, arriving in NY on 27 Jul 1900 via Naples on Tartar Prince, in steerage. It's only the scant 'cover sheet' so I don't know further details. Seems the Italian names repeat. No idea if this one is for a barber.

My notes on your 1889 find had Antonino going to Tusumme Gasie, G. Baltista going to Brooklyn and Baldassare to his wife, Zumnem Grazia, 489 Robertas Ave. I had tried to find surname Grasie and Grazia to no avail. hahaha

Wow! What would I do w/o italiangenealogy and the wonderful members? I have been reading entries but have yet to be of any help.

Bless you all!
Sincerely
BlissIs
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Margherita Lanzarone sister of Antonino Lanzarone
INDEX#298
Oct 14th in the town of Santa Margherita di Belice in a house on via Francesco birth of Margherita Lanzarone daughter of Baldsarre Lanzarone age 28 locksmith and Grazia Zummo

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Birth record of Vincenzo Lanzarone sister of Antonino Lanzarone
INDEX#299
1891 Nov 26th in the town of Santa Margherita di Belice in a house on via Francesco birth of Vincenzo Lanzarone son of Baldasarre Lanzarone age 28 locksmith and Grazia Zummo
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Wow! Would like to open my computer to a message from you daily!!! hahaha

Thank so very much! This is fabulous! May I ask, because even with my magnifying glass and a reference chart I cannot decipher in what year Margherita was born. I tried to find same doc on family search and realize you must have access to the microfilm. Awesome! Also, if I may ask for more....is there any indication of Grazia's maiden name? Just wonderin'.

Your generosity of spirit is appreciated. Thank you, Marty.

Sweetly surprised,
BlissIs
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Forget about it!
Just realized her maiden name is Zummo. duh
Margherita's year would be great.
Sorry for my slow uptake. hahaha
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BlissIs wrote:Forget about it!
Just realized her maiden name is Zummo. duh
Margherita's year would be great.
Sorry for my slow uptake. hahaha
Margherita was born in 1889 :-)

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Maria Lanzarone sister of Antonino Lanzarone
INDEX#340
1893 Nov 18th in the town of Santa Margherita di Belice in a house on via Venoria birth of Maria Lanzarone daughter of Baldasarre Lanzarone age 34 and wife Grazia Zummo

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty