Alcuri / Graffeo? surname from Menfi, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jessicapuccio

Alcuri / Graffeo? surname from Menfi, Sicily

Post by jessicapuccio »

I'm trying to find information on my great-great grandparents but I do not have much to go on. I believe my g-g-grandmother's name was Giuseppa Graffeo (b. 1879 d. 1970) and she married a Luciano Alcuri (b1878 d. 1953). I am also under the impression that they are both from Menfi, Sicily and sailed to America on their honeymoon in 1902 (lines 15 and 16 on the Ellis Island manifest for the Spartan Prince). IN America they had 3 children, all girls, Caterina, Francesca, and NInfa. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Also can someone read the occupations listed for both entries? and/or the address they were to visit. I belive it was a sister Caroline in Brooklyn, NY?

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Jessica Puccio
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Alcuri / Graffeo? surname from Menfi, Sicily

Post by suanj »

jessicapuccio wrote:I'm trying to find information on my great-great grandparents but I do not have much to go on. I believe my g-g-grandmother's name was Giuseppa Graffeo (b. 1879 d. 1970) and she married a Luciano Alcuri (b1878 d. 1953). I am also under the impression that they are both from Menfi, Sicily and sailed to America on their honeymoon in 1902 (lines 15 and 16 on the Ellis Island manifest for the Spartan Prince). IN America they had 3 children, all girls, Caterina, Francesca, and NInfa. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Also can someone read the occupations listed for both entries? and/or the address they were to visit. I belive it was a sister Caroline in Brooklyn, NY?

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Jessica Puccio
Hi:
-sister Carolina Graffeo
-occupations: cabman and domestique(servant)
-In Menfi currently are surname Alcuri and Graffeo
-the Alcuri surname are present in Menfi in Arcuri version between living persons in 1714( as the author asserts probable misspelled for difficult reading ancient document "Catasto Onciario 1714").
http://members.aol.com/sciupefemmine/1714.html
Regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you wish you can either write to Menfi for marriage certificate and approximate the year of marriage (20 years after birth) for both or you can rent the microfilm for Menfi civil records from the Family History Library of the Mormon church nearest your home and view the entire family tree back to the early 1800's up to the present time. Please let me know what you want in this regard. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They were destined to his in law Cristina graffeo 168 Jefferson Street and he is listed as a cab man. Peter
petercharlesalcuri

Post by petercharlesalcuri »

Hello Jessica,
I believe I have some info for you. My name is Peter Alcuri and my great aunt and uncle were your g-g-grandparents; I remember visiting Bloomfield NJ from Brooklyn NY as a child with my parents Gaspar (Alcuri) and Jennie to visit my father's cousins Catherine, Frances and Ninfa and their parents, Uncle Louis (Alcuri) and Aunt Josephine. Catherine's only daughter was cousin Phyllis and I imagine you are descendant from her. Your g-g-grandfather Louis (Luciano) was my grandfather Pelligrino Alcuri's brother; they sailed in 1902 from Sicily to New York. My father was 6 months old at the time. Pelligrino and family stayed in NYC; Luciano and family moved to NJ but remainied close all of their lives.

I hope you receive this and it answers some of your questions; please reply if it does. I am now retired and live in Palm Springs CA but spent my entire life in NYC.

Sincerely,
Peter Charles Alcuri
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hello Peter! In all technical terms we are 2nd Cousins 2 Times Removed...my g-g-g-grandfather is your g-grandfather. I am SO happy that this forum is available and that you found my post and responded...all mini miracles really...and all very exciting. My grandmother IS Phyllis but her mother was Francesca and not Catherine and from there I had only found out about Luciano through Ellis Island Records. I had no idea Pelligrino nor Gaspar existed - let alone you. I would love to email you and find out more -- if you would be interested. Last year I found relatives from Phyllis' first husband and have loved every minute of getting to know them and more about my father and biological grandfather. THANK YOU!!
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

I'm writing from Italy ! Alcuri is a strange last name, this is the first time I see it. I 'm quite sure it doesn't exsist, it might be ARCURI
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

hello totonno - the name certainly could have been changed when passing through Ellis Island but as another member posted earlier Alcuri appears to be a valid name in southern Sicily where my family originated. Thanks for helping though.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Totonno wrote:I'm writing from Italy ! Alcuri is a strange last name, this is the first time I see it. I 'm quite sure it doesn't exsist, it might be ARCURI
Check here: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... alcuri&dv=
29 entries for ALCURI in the Italian White Pages
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Grazie Livio - more than 75% of the 29 names* listed are from Menfi, the same town as my ancestors, so perhaps there are more relatives, it has only been 2 generations since my family sailed to America. What an exciting thought!
TGreenberg

Post by TGreenberg »

Hello Peter & Jessica,

I believe that I share some common relatives with the two of you. A few years ago I started to trace and create a family tree. Recently I have began to search again and am trying to pick up where I left off. I do know that my great grandmother's name was Maria Alcuri (b. 1894 d. 1974) and her parents were Pellegrino Alcuri and Giovanna La Sala. Being that i do not have much information, I was wondering if either of you could help fill in any gaps?

Thank you,
Tracy
TGreenberg

Post by TGreenberg »

Hello Peter & Jessica,

I believe that I may have some relatives in common with the two of you. A few years ago I began to trace my family tree, and I am trying to pick up where I left off. I do not have very much info, but I do know that my great grandmother was Maria Alcuri (b. 1894 d. 1974). I also know that her parents were Pellegrino Alcuri and Giovanna La Sala. I am trying to fill in the gaps with additional information. Please let me know if you can help.

Thank you,
Tracy
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There are some online records for Menfi available at familysearch.org. Might be able to fill in some of the gaps from these. Earlier records are on microfilm and currently have to be rented through a local family history center. Menfi is one of my ancestral towns, but your surnames do not enter into my family tree
Erudita

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043548

Italy, Agrigento, Sciacca...on (Tribunale), 1861-1929
Agrigento
Menfi

Record Type and Year

Allegati 1902-1904
Matrimoni 1873-1910 Diversi 1862-1865 Pubblicazioni 1862-1865 Cittadinanze 1866-1910 Morti 1862-1863
Morti 1864-1888
Morti 1889-1910
Nati 1862-1864
Nati 1865-1882
Nati 1883-1900
Nati 1901-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1868, 1871, 1905 Matrimoni 1862-1872
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

TGreenberg wrote:Hello Peter & Jessica,

I believe that I share some common relatives with the two of you. A few years ago I started to trace and create a family tree. Recently I have began to search again and am trying to pick up where I left off. I do know that my great grandmother's name was Maria Alcuri (b. 1894 d. 1974) and her parents were Pellegrino Alcuri and Giovanna La Sala. Being that i do not have much information, I was wondering if either of you could help fill in any gaps?

Thank you,
Tracy
Little more info for you
Marriage record of Pellegrino Alcuri and Giovanna La Sala
INDEX#17
1891 April 16th in the town of Menfi marriage of Pellegrino Alcuri age 21 farmer born in Menfi son of Calogero Alcuri and deceased Caterina Di Carlo married Giovanna La Sala age 18 born in Menfi daughter of Gaspare La Sala and Maria Incristi ???

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE
record-image (272).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
petercharlesalcuri

Post by petercharlesalcuri »

Hello Tracy,
If your grandmother is Rosemary Hummel and your mother is Debbie Bernstein, then we indeed are related. Rosemary and I grew up together on Harmon St in Bklyn; your g-grandmother Maria was my father Gaspar's older sister and they were very close.
Let me know if this makes genealogical sense to you; I very well may be your 3rd cousin.
Sincerely,
Peter Charles Alcuri