Think surname was Vitale, changed to Vitley in America

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
genar73

Think surname was Vitale, changed to Vitley in America

Post by genar73 »

Hello,
I'm hoping that anyone out there can assist me with my very tiresome, but exciting search for my family on my grandmother's father's side. There isn't really a whole lot of information that any of us have and we have searched quite a bit so any help that you may be able to offer would be appreciated. We have been told that the surname in Italy was probably Vitale. My family is from Palermo, Italy. This is what I have been told, but I'm not sure if the middle names in America were actually the first names, but in Italian format before they came over.
My great great grandfather's name was Antonio Vitale, born about 1862, somewhere in Italy, not sure of death year, but believe he was in America when he passed. He had three kids (one was my great grandfather) who came to America, not sure if they all came at the same time though. My great grandfathers name here in America was Jim Vincent Vitley (some say his middle name might have been Vincenzo and was actually used as his first name in Italy). His brother Joseph and sister Josephine (twins) also came here (not sure of D.O.B or when they came over). I was told that my great great grandmothers name was Angeline or Angelina, born around 1864 possibly but don't know her maiden name or if she was from Italy. I believe they all ported off the ships into New York. I have found quite a few people with those names, somewhat close birth dates, but I can't find any further information. I also found a marriage type certificate link in New York that I have sent for a copy showing an Antonio Vitale and Angelina Marchesana . Again, I don't know if that is them due to a large number of Italian's with those first names being listed on Ancestry, Mundia, and Family Search. Please let me know if you have any information, or you might be family. Thank you so much. Gena
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Think surname was Vitale, changed to Vitley in America

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Where did they settle in the US Idaho?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
on death record the birth date is:

Idaho, Death Index, 1890-1962
about James Vitley
Name:
James Vitley
Birth Place:
Italy
Birth Date:
9 Aug 1892
Death Place:
Boise, Ada, Idaho, USA
Death Date:
16 Oct 1935
Father:
Antiono Vitley
Father Birth Place:
Italy
Mother Birth Place:
Italy
Certificate Year:
Certificate Number:

instead on military record:

U.S., WWI Civilian Draft Registrations, 1917-1918
about Jim Vitley
Name:
Vitley, Jim
Birth Date:
9 Aug 1894
Birth Place:
Cinisi Palermo Italy
City/County:
Washington
State:
ID
Ethnicity:
W

ditto on:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Jim Vitley
Name:
Jim Vitley
County:
Washington
State:
Idaho
Birthplace:
Italy
Birth Date:
9 Aug 1894
Race:
Caucasian (White)

but in Cinisi births are some Vincenzo Vitale born in 1892/3/4 but with different parent's names...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that this Birth record is abt your ancestor:
Vincenzo Vitale was born in Cinisi on 9 Aug 1890 #152 son of Antonino 25 old farmer and of Angela Manzei (no Marchesana)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,352218601

the trip crossed:
First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Vitale
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Cinisi, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Mar 19, 1909
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lazio
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0024
father Antonino in Cinisi

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0115%2ETIF

arrival:
First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Vitale
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Cinisi, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Apr 16, 1909
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Campania (1901)
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0026

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
father Antonino Vitale in Cinisi
pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
joining at cousin Michele Biundo in St Louis MO..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Hi Suanj
Marriage of Antonino Vitale and Angela Monsu'
INDEX#20
1888 July 5th in the town of Cinisi marriage of Antonino Vitale age 23 born in Cinisi son of Vincenzo Vitale and Giuseppa Vitale married to Angela Monsu' age 19 born in Cinisi daughter of Giuseppe Monsu' and Caterina Palazzolo
CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE
record-image (273).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thanks Marty, so the maiden name of Vincenzo's mother was Monsù... ! Thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Are you sure Giuseppe and Giuseppa were twins birth record of Giuseppa Vitale same parents
INDEX#155
1892 Aug 12th in the town of Cinisi birth of Giuseppa Vitale daughter of Antonino Vitale and Angela Monsu' sidenote says she married Natale Palazzolo in Cinisi April 5th 1913
record-image (278).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giuseppe Vitale looks like there not twins
INDEX#195
1894 Dec 5th in the town of Cinisi birth of Giuseppe Vitale son of Antonino Vitale and Angela Monsu'
record-image (280).jpg
Marty

Marty
genar73

Post by genar73 »

Thank you guys so much. I will review all of what you replied with and see if I can move forward with it. I think I'm a little more confused as to what is what and who is who, but with a little time I should be able to have a better understanding. Thank you again. Gena
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Where did Giuseppa and Giuseppe Vitale settle in the USA? By getting info on them we can verify the parents names

Marty

Marty
genar73

Post by genar73 »

To be honest, I'm not sure. That's the hard part. I know my great grandfather Jim Vitley lived and passed away here in Idaho, but as far as definites on their ports in the U.S., I couldn't say. Some family say they heard it with in New York but again, my aunt says her father Jim didn't really speak much about his family or his life in Italy. It is rumored that it was because his family the Vitale's are linked to the mob but again, it's kind of up in the air. I wish I knew more. Unfortunately this is about where everyone in the family who has tried to locate information has come to a stop. We are unsure about it all.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found a 1926 ship manifest coming to New York 323 75th St of Natale Palazzolo husband of Giuseppa Vitale (info on her birth record) she was still in Cinisi
LINE#4
NYT715_3655-0858.jpg
Marty

Marty
genar73

Post by genar73 »

So looking into Family search website, I was able to pull up Vincenzo Vitale, DOB 1890-Deceased and shows no spouse. His parents are listed as Antonino, DOB 1865-Deceased and Angela Monsu, nothing listed for dates.

I know that searching is kind of a process of elimination, especially if you don't have a lot of information, but realistically how would I know if my grandfather Jim Vincent Vitley, DOB that I have seen is 1894 and 1892, and his father Antonio with DOB that I have seen 1862 in Ancestry.com is the same one that you were able to pull up in the info above married to an Angela?

The dates are so close and the names are very similar: Antonio/Antonino, Angelina/Angela, and Jim Vincent/ Vincenzo......

I would love to find out if Antonino Vitale and Angela Monsu with her parents listed are actually the correct ones so I can continue the search. Otherwise, I'm still stuck. I appreciate everyone's help.
Gena
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

When I was researching your Vitale family that's the only Antonino Vitale and any Angela/ Angela Monsu for parents of a Vincenzo and Giuseppe and Giuseppa Vitale I found

Marty

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Gena,
when I found Vincenzo Vitale birth act, I searched so much and just one matching abt birthday, birth month, birth place, parent's names..
I am pretty sure that the Vincenzo Vitale that I found is your Jim Vitley... best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH