Help with street name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Help with street name

Post by jkingb »

I am having a hard time identifying the street on this 1897 death record from Gassino (I attached only the relevant few lines). It looks like Via Cavale or (Casale)? # 22. Not sure. I have tried looking for the street on a map of the town, using different spelling variations, but no name thing exists. Were some streets re-named after this date? Can somebody help? Thank you so much.
Attachments
address.jpg
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Help with street name

Post by paola52 »

I think "Casale" is a safer bet
Ciao
paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thanks, Paola. I tried Casale at first (even Barale, because on another record the first letter looked like a "b"), but no such street comes up on google maps. That is why I wonder if the street name
may have changed since the late 1800s/early 1900s. Does anybody know whether this was known to occur in Northern Italy?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jkingb wrote:Thanks, Paola. I tried Casale at first (even Barale, because on another record the first letter looked like a "b"), but no such street comes up on google maps. That is why I wonder if the street name
may have changed since the late 1800s/early 1900s. Does anybody know whether this was known to occur in Northern Italy?
Street names change everywhere :-)

Why not email the Comune of Gassino and ask about "Via Casale?"

protocollo@comune.gassino.to.it

T.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thanks, Tessa.

I actually did not know that. It hasn't ever come up for me.. I know that house numbers changed (at least in other parts of Europe, so probably in Italy too), but I wasn't sure about streets.

It didn't occur to me to email the comune (assumed the email would not be read), but I'll give it
a try! Thanks.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

I checked again (with quotes), and it appears that "via Casale" still exists. It's just not on google maps.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jkingb wrote:I checked again (with quotes), and it appears that "via Casale" still exists. It's just not on google maps.
:D
T.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Oh, no. I tried deleting this yesterday, and thought I had!

There exists a Via Casale - but unfortunately, not within the town of Gassino... I jumped to post too soon, before reading the full address. This Via Casale must be in a town closely. Back to the original plan -writing to the Comune...