Help With Arrival

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
heatheromaine

Help With Arrival

Post by heatheromaine »

I am so so so so stuck! I have been trying to find where, when, what ship... my great great grandfather and then my great great grandmother and their children arrived.
The names are listed as Paul W. Romaine (b.1864ish) and Viola Salvati (b. 1859ish). I'm sure Paul was Paolo and I can't find anything with Romaine so I think that name is wrong too.
The family story is that Naples is where they sailed from. My great grandfather, Anthony (Antonio probably), and his twin, Martin, both list Rome as their place of birth on their WWII draft cards. I found a 1900 census for Manhattan that had Paolo's arrival date as 1892 and Viola plus children (Mary, Anthony, Martin, Alvina) at 1896. I have no idea what port they came to or left from. I tried Ellis Island to no avail and also Castle Garden with no results.
I have been using ancestry and family search and just searching myself - if anyone can help - or tell me a good list - or has any experience with the whole name change thing too - ugh - please help!

And thank you! :D
Looking for my family name and ancestral connections... Romaine is the "Ellis Island" version... currently researching a connection to Robibero/ Robibaro/ Robibbaro
heatheromaine

Re: Help With Arrival

Post by heatheromaine »

p.s. I'm totally new here, so hello! :)
Looking for my family name and ancestral connections... Romaine is the "Ellis Island" version... currently researching a connection to Robibero/ Robibaro/ Robibbaro
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Heather. Welcome!

The first problem here is that Romaine is simply not an Italian surname; do you have any inkling at all as to the original name?

The second problem is that passenger manifests prior to 1900'ish have very limited information on them and, even if found, may not be especially helpful.

I presume these are all your family?

1900 US Census:

(click once to view; click again to zoom)

1910 US Census:

1915 NY Census:

1920 US Census:

1930 US Census:

1940 US Census:
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in 1910 census was a relative living with family; the name was Julius Albino Salvati
Julius Salvati in household of Paul W Romaine, "United States Census, 1910"

Name: Julius Salvati
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1910
Event Place: Manhattan Ward 12, New York, New York, United States
District: 602
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Grandson
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Grandson
Birth Year (Estimated): 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1905
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 7A
Household ID: 145
Line Number:
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: M1283
GS Film number: 1375037
Digital Folder Number: 004450086
Image Number: 00018
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Paul W Romaine M 46 Italy
Wife Viola R Romaine F 49 Italy
Son Anthony R Romaine M 19 Italy
Son Martin R Romaine M 19 Italy
Daughter Alvina R Romaine F 11 New York
Grandson Julius Salvati M 17 Italy
Grandson Arthur S Salvati M 3 New York
Granddaughter Viola S Salvati F 1 New York

I believe that he was a nephew and no a grandson....
well Julius Salvati ( Giulio Albino Salvati) moved in Pennsylvania, and by WWI draft registration card, we can know that he was born in Patrica ( Rome province)

Albino Salvati, "United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918"

Name: Albino Salvati
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: Beaver County no 1, Pennsylvania, United States
Birth Date: 07 Oct 1892
Birthplace: , , Italy
Nationality: Italy
Affiliate Publication Title: World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards
Affiliate Publication Number: M1509
GS Film number: 1852811
Digital Folder Number: 005266918
Image Number: 02604

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

Viola first name was Violante, here the arrival:

First Name: Salvata (Salvati is the surname))
Last Name: Violante (Violante is the first name)
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Patrica
Date of Arrival: Oct 01, 1896
Age at Arrival: 37y Gender: F Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Alesia
Port of Departure: Marseilles via Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0282

with children Antonio and Maria
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0282
the Paolo surname I believe ROMANO right italian spelling....

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
heatheromaine

Post by heatheromaine »

I can not begin to express how thankful I am to BOTH of you for all of this information!~ This helps SO much. I can't believe the wealth of information you have uncovered. I am forever grateful :D
I had some of these censuses but not nearly all of them and my GGGrandfather had written Patrica on one draft card and Rome on another and I had no idea what any of that meant! Susan J. and JohnnyOnTheSpot - you have my eternal gratitude!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You are very welcome! Perhaps there is more to be found; is there anything in particular you are still seeking?

Also, her name is Raffaella; "suanj" is her forum username. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

heatheromaine wrote:I can not begin to express how thankful I am to BOTH of you for all of this information!~ This helps SO much. I can't believe the wealth of information you have uncovered. I am forever grateful :D
I had some of these censuses but not nearly all of them and my GGGrandfather had written Patrica on one draft card and Rome on another and I had no idea what any of that meant! Susan J. and JohnnyOnTheSpot - you have my eternal gratitude!
Happy of help you! :D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
heatheromaine

Post by heatheromaine »

Thank you Carmine! And Rafaella :)

I am trying to find evidence now of Paolo's arrival - also records in Italy, Rafaella's information has given me a lot to go on. My grandfather, we call him "Poppy" was always under the impression that the original name was "Robibero" - I'm not sure why - he said a great uncle had told him way back. So it is good to have Romano as a lead because I was at a complete dead end with Robibero! His father (Antonio) did not know and I think the relationship between father and son was strained somehow (Antonio and Paolo).
I am also following up on connections here in the states - I'm curious about where everyone ended up! I want to know more about where all of the family came from and went to :)
I am also trying to find information about Poppy's mother's side of the family - her name was Madeline Stabile, her parents were Paul Stabile and Angeline Rituno and that is also where I am stuck on that side. Both Paul and Angeline were born in Italy, again not 100% on the names and I have no information at all in regard to where in Italy they are from, when they came over, etc. Poppy's mother, Madeline was born in NY around 1895, so it had to be before that :) I can only find census info on her through, starting in 1920 when she was living in NJ.
So haha, I still have a lot to go!
I am so happy I found this forum though - you all are amazing and so helpful. It warms my heart to meet you :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I cannot find a probable Paolo Romano arrival... from 1892 to 1896 (Viola came in 1896)...
I found one but he is calabrian.. coming from another place, different totally ...
First Name: Paolo
Last Name: Romano
Last Place of Residence: Trofea, Italy (Tropea)
Date of Arrival: Jun 29, 1893
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0331

so cannot be your ancestor....

Instead I found as Francesco Paolo Romano that could be a probable record:

First Name: Franc. Paolo
Last Name: Romano
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Jun 21, 1893
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Chandernagor
Manifest Line Number: 0002

http://s27.postimg.org/sxcwzh8gj/romano_manifest.gif

your suggestions?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I am also trying to find information about Poppy's mother's side of the family - her name was Madeline Stabile, her parents were Paul Stabile and Angeline Rituno and that is also where I am stuck on that side. Both Paul and Angeline were born in Italy, again not 100% on the names and I have no information at all in regard to where in Italy they are from, when they came over, etc. Poppy's mother, Madeline was born in NY around 1895, so it had to be before that :) I can only find census info on her through, starting in 1920 when she was living in NJ.
So haha, I still have a lot to go!
abt Paul Stabile, Angeline Rituno(?) and Madeline Stabile I cannot the family in 1900 NY census as a well in 1905 NY ce3nsus.. you are sure abt first names? You know Paul birth year? You have further and helpful details?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
heatheromaine

Post by heatheromaine »

[/quote]
abt Paul Stabile, Angeline Rituno(?) and Madeline Stabile I cannot the family in 1900 NY census as a well in 1905 NY ce3nsus.. you are sure abt first names? You know Paul birth year? You have further and helpful details?
suanj[/quote]

Thank you for the Franc. Paolo Romano Ellis Island link Rafaella, it looks promising. I am writing this response from my Poppy's house - he thought it looked promising as well because his Poppy (Paolo) always told him he sailed from Naples. If only we had the last residence listed!

For the Stabile and Ritunos-

I am not 100% on first names - my Poppy did not even know his father's given name was originally Antonio, so he may also not know for his mother.

Madeline Stabile is b.15 Dec 1896 (NYC) - d.18 April 1968
I have found census info for her as Madeline "Romaine" starting in 1920 when she was already married to my Great Poppy. But I can not find her birth certificate.- her parents:

Angeline? Rituno? Estimated birth year 1871

Paul? (prob Paolo since he immigrated) Stabile? Estimated birth year 1863

How has a month gone by already?? I apologize for my slow replies - I started another job :)

Hope you are well!

& again thank you so so much for your kind help! :P
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt Paolo Stabile, here the 1905 census:
Paul Staple in household of Hulbert Moran
New York, State Census, 1905

Paul Staple Head M 43y Italy
Angelina Staple Wife F 33y Italy
Madeline Staple Daughter F 10y United States
Margurite Staple Daughter F 8y United States

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/S ... cc=1463113

Margaret married at John McMahon and lived in NJ also:
Paul Stabile in household of John Mcmahon
United States Census, 1930
Name: Paul Stabile
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Teaneck, Bergen, New Jersey, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Father
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Father
Birth Year (Estimated): 1863
Immigration Year: 1914
Affiliate Film Number: 1316
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Margaret Mcmahon Wife F 33 New York
John Mcmahon Head M 47 New York
John Mcmahon Son M 4 New Jersey
Angelo Stabile Mother F 59 Italy
Paul Stabile Father M 67 Italy

Madeline married in 1911:
Stabile Madeline Sep 28 1911 22547 (1911) Manhattan Romaine, Antonio

the Stabile family must be in 1900 NY census as a well in 1910 NY census.. I must search it
just for to have more infos, because I believe that Paolo Stabile married in USA.. I found a possible arrival for Paolo Stabile:
First Name: Paolo
Last Name: Stabile
Last Place of Residence: S. Rufo
Date of Arrival: Jun 05, 1893
Age at Arrival: 33y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Charles Martel
Manifest Line Number: 0795

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3112080252
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

here the 1900 census:

Paolo Stable
United States Census, 1900

Name: Paolo Stable
Event Year: 1900
Event Place: Borough of Manhattan, Election District 19 New York City Ward 21, New York County, New York, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race (Original): W
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Years Married: 12
Birth Date: Sep 1861
Marriage Year (Estimated): 1888
Immigration Year: 1880
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Paolo Stable Head M 39 Italy
Angelia Stable Wife F 29 Italy b. Sep 1871 imm.: 1888; marriage: 1888
Madeline Stable Daughter F 6 New York b. Dec 1894
Marquerite Stable Daughter F 3 New York b. Mar 1897
John Stable Brother M 28 Italy b. Jun 1872 imm. : 1900
Cameille Letuna Sister-in-law F 11 New York b. May 1889

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... -132399-80

Paolo brother: Giovanni Stabile imm. in 1900 coming from Rio de Janeiro

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Stabile
Last Place of Residence: Rio
Date of Arrival: May 23, 1900
Age at Arrival: 27 Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Hevelius
Port of Departure: Rio de Janeiro
Manifest Line Number: 0008

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
and joining at brother Paolo

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
heatheromaine

Post by heatheromaine »

Suanj,

My Poppy passed away unexpectedly after my last reply to you in 2014, I have recently picked up the search again... I thought I replied here and submitted last night as well as in a forum post on Geneology but I do not see it now...

I am trying to find out what my original surname is, "Romaine" is an "Ellis Island" name...

This is what I have so far...

My GGGrandfather, "Paul Romaine" arrived in New York in 1892ish from Italy. I have yet to find a manifest I can confirm. The family story if that the surname was Robibero/ Robibaro/or Robibbero, but I have no personal records to confirm this and I have hit a dead end here in the US.

I found one manifest for a "P. Robibere" - line 33... this may be a stretch because the age is listed as 22, and my GGGrandfather would have been 28 in this year and there are records indicating he actually came over the year before (though I have not found a manifest for that year)
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1

My GGGrandmother, Viola Salvati, was married to Paul. With your amazing help, I have a manifest I believe belongs to her... She is listed as "Violante Salvata", I have no idea which name is correct She is traveling with my GGrandfather, Antonio (became Anthony) and his sister, Maria. The names, dates, and ages all check out. Even though a few children are not listed. I don't know if they came over earlier with Paul, who I am assuming was "Paolo" or later, or just weren't counted. She lists her last place of residence as "Patrica": http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1

For clues to the "Robibero/ Robibaro/ Robibbaro" name...
"Paul Romain" listed as a "bootblack" in 1900 census: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/76 ... dit/record

and a "repairer" at a "store" of his "own account" in this 1920 census: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/60 ... dit/record

and "Paul Robibero" is listed along with "Viola" in this 1933 city directory for "Riverside Shoe Rprg": https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/24 ... dit/record

Maria who became Mary, passed away in 1909, at the age of 20 and her parents are listed as "Paolo Robibbero" and "Vislanda Salvati" - Viola/ Violante has also been listed as "Vialanda" in other records I have found so who knows what her name was?!! Maria's immigration year, age and parents match up: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1 ... f=L6BD-QT1

So, for Patrica...

I have the manifest for Viola/ Violante/ Violanda in which she lists her last place of residence as "Patrica" (linked above)
and my GGrandfather, Antonio (Anthony) "Romaine" listed Patrica as his place of birth on his WWI draft card. The only confusing thing is that he listed Rome as his place of birth on his WWII draft card, ha!

WWI: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/64 ... dit/record
WWII: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/10 ... dit/record

So that is what I have! Oh! One more thing... "Paul" and "Viola" were married in 1882, according to numerous censuses... which means they would have been married before "Paul" came over...

And I am at a total dead end! Is my family really from Patrica, Frosinone? What is our surname? What were my GGGrandparents' names???

I am traveling to Italy this summer and I hope I can find more answers so I can see where my family is from. I hope you are well Suanj!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

heatheromaine wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 16:12 ...

I found one manifest for a "P. Robibere" - line 33... this may be a stretch because the age is listed as 22, and my GGGrandfather would have been 28 in this year and there are records indicating he actually came over the year before (though I have not found a manifest for that year)
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
I read 27