Comune in Trento

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Comune in Trento

Post by zanna »

My g.grandfather Giovanni Francesco/Franco Cristina came to New Zealand be 1867/68 from Tyrol Austria(as it was known then).
On documents our family have the place names Trento ,Tyrol,Austria are stated.Also the name Twirg.I think this could the comune he was born in,but it does not seem to match up with any comune names I have seen so far on this site or others.So maybe some of the word is missing or has been spelt incorrecty.Any ideas?He was born on 18 November1847/48.
His father was Giovanni Cristina and his mother Santa Luchi Cristina.
I have contacted Servizio Emigrazione e Solidarieta Internazionale who help descendants of Trentini Emigrants but they will not search without a Precise location of birth. They also say the cognome Cristina does not originate in Trentino.Probably true,but that does not mean my g.grandfather was not born there.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Comune in Trento

Post by italy50 »

Zanna, The town in austria "tyrol" comes up as "tirol".

The name associated with Tirol is "Christanell". The name Trentino is also with Tirol Austria

The name "twirg" does not seem to make sense, unless it is mispelled

However, there is a sort of play on words with the name Twirg. you could sort of use this name to mean Switzerland abbreviated, in which the Cristina name is mentioned. The name Cristina seems to be more associated with Switzerland than Austria

There is an Angelo Francesco Giovanni Cristina, but born in Switzerland and not in your time frame. Unless its a son or other relative

Thusfar, the only name associated with Trentino, Tirol Austria is Christanell. However, you may see this on FamilySearch.org
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

Thanks for your reply italy50.
Could you please elaborate on'The name Trentino is also associated with Tirol,Austria'
Our family here in NZ have always believed our ancestor to be from near the border of Austria and Italy as it was back in the 1800's.My father used to say we are Tyrolean.John Frank Christina,as he became known in NZ ,named his sons Michael Angelo ,Antonio Lorenzo and other Italian names.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Zanna,

If you go to FamilySearch.org, you will see what I mean

The name Christanell is listed as being in Trentino, Tirol, Austria. There are other names listed as well.

There may be no relation, but I found it curious that there were a few similiarities

Also, You will see on that website that the name Cristina is listed as being from Switzerland and Germany. Such as the name I gave you
Angelo Francesco Giovanni Cristina is from Switzerland.

I thought you may want to look at it
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Zanna,
In north Italy, and Trento area exist : DE CRISTINA, DI CRISTINA.. on familysearch also are the records for DE CHRISTINA surname in Vigo di Fassa/Vich (Trento province)...
however I think that ricbru, kind member of this forum, that live in trento area, can help better...

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

zanna wrote:My g.grandfather Giovanni Francesco/Franco Cristina came to New Zealand be 1867/68 from Tyrol Austria(as it was known then).
On documents our family have the place names Trento ,Tyrol,Austria are stated.Also the name Twirg.I think this could the comune he was born in,but it does not seem to match up with any comune names I have seen so far on this site or others.So maybe some of the word is missing or has been spelt incorrecty.Any ideas?He was born on 18 November1847/48.
His father was Giovanni Cristina and his mother Santa Luchi Cristina.
I have contacted Servizio Emigrazione e Solidarieta Internazionale who help descendants of Trentini Emigrants but they will not search without a Precise location of birth. They also say the cognome Cristina does not originate in Trentino.Probably true,but that does not mean my g.grandfather was not born there.
Dear Zanna,
why don't you attach the copy of naturalization records of your ancestor?
So we can read the place of origin and help you better,
bye ricbru
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

I have received copies of the naturalisation documents today and it says 'Town of Tyrol, Austria",yet on a michrofiche of 'Aliens naturalised in New Zealand before 1943'which must have been copied from these documents, it says 'Twirg',so I am guessing that it was a mistake on the part of the copyist.So back to square one! That is good really because it eliminates a red herring.
Trent and Trento are on four birth certs out of nine of my ancestors children and the rest Tyrol or Austria.
So where to from here I am not sure.Any ideas please.
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

I have had another reply from Provincia Autonoma di Trento to my request for a birth cert of my g.grandfather and they say "la informiamo che la ricerca ha avuto esito negativo'
They once again suggest I look in Bolzano as the CRISTINA name is there
and his mothers name LUCHI,e maggiormente diffuso.
So I have been looking through the names of the comunes and fraziones etc.. and have found a comune named Terento. Could it be possible that this the comune my family came from? as I have mentioned before Trent ,Austria and Trento, Austria are on two birth certifcates of his children born in New Zealand. The rest (ten in all) say Tyrol Austria.
I have e-mailed the anagrafe of the comune today.
Is there any cognome info for this comune available?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

ricbru wrote:
Dear Zanna,
why don't you attach the copy of naturalization records of your ancestor?
So we can read the place of origin and help you better,
bye ricbru
Maybe you should take ricbru's advice!

mfjp
caesarganz

Post by caesarganz »

Zanna, My family comes from the same area. I still have cousins in Bolzano and the village of Falcade, in the Dolomites, southern Tyrol. My name sounds German, but my ancestors lived in Falcade for many centuries and no one in the village speaks German...only Italian. The area changed hands quite a few times between italy and Austria. it has an interesting history. This has obviously made family history a bit more difficult.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
this article came out on the newspaper of Trento "L'Adige" (Feb.28th, 2006)

Database per gli anni dal 1815 al 1923

Emigrati, nati in archivio

La Provincia spenderà 93.000 euro per completare
il lavoro di trascrizione in un apposito database dei
dati relativi alle nascite, dal 1815 al 1923, quando in
Trentino la competenza in materia di stato civile era
esercitata dai parroci. Il databse servirà per la gestione
informatica delle informazioni anagrafiche, al fine
di rispondere con maggiore snellezza alle numerose
richieste dei discendenti di emigrati trentini all’estero
che intendono avviare le pratiche per il riconoscimento
della cittadinanza italiana.
La spesa del programma di trascrizione e informatizzazione
è a carico del Servizio emigrazione della
Provincia. Le rilevazioni verranno effettuate dai microfilm,
depositati presso l’Archivio diocesano di Trento,
e i nominativi da rilevare sono circa un milione.

Translation:

Database for the years from the 1815 to the 1923

Emigrants birth record in the archive

The Provinceof Trento will spend 93,000 euro in order to complete the job of transcription in an appropriate database of the relative datas about the birth record, from 1815 to 1923, when in Trentino the competence in matter of marital status was exercised from the parishes.
The computer database will manage the civil records to identify the informations, to answer easily to the big amount of requests for the descendants of emigrated to the foreign country who want to start the papers for the acknowledgment of the Italian citizenship. The expenses of the program of transcription and informatization is in charge of the Service emigration of the Province.
The surveys will be carried out from microfilms, which are locatedto the diocesis Archive of Trento, and the names to find are approximately a million.

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol: