dual-citizen:returning from extended Italy stay to U.S.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

dual-citizen:returning from extended Italy stay to U.S.

Post by cannoli »

I am intending to stay for several months in Italy soon. I will use my Italian passport to enter the EU. I will be traveling around the Italy and informally attending some language schools.

My question is about returning to the U.S. after eight months in Italy. Should I have any concerns about going through immigration in New York? Will I be questioned about how I was able to stay in Italy for so long without a visa?

Thank you for calming my pre-departure nerves.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: dual-citizen:returning from extended Italy stay to U.S.

Post by Italysearcher »

Just use your US passport to renter.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cannoli »

Thank you for your reply. One of my motivations for getting dual citizenship was to be able to go back and forth easily between the Italy (the EU) and the U.S. Again, thanks.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you try to use your Italian passport to re enter the USA you will need a VISA, so keep it hidden.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The US doesn't stamp passports on the way out, so when you return and show immigration your US passport, they'll have no idea how long you were out of the country. It is very unlikely that you will be asked how you can stay outside the US, and even if you were there is no problem - you've done nothing illegal. I have lived outside the US for 14 years and return briefly about once a year. I've never been asked about how long I was out of country or how I was able to live abroad.