Latin Translation Help Requested

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Latin Translation Help Requested

Post by rp76226 »

It is a 1785 church marriage record in Latin. Please translate the key genealogical details only. I'm not expecting a translation of every word in the document.

http://postimg.org/image/c2ezv16rd/
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Latin Translation Help Requested

Post by erudita74 »

Dated Feb 7, 1785
Marriage banns on Jan 23, 31, and Feb ? which resulted in no impediments to the marriage
Groom: Gaetano Puma Pagliarello, legitimate and natural son of deceased Carlo (Puma Pagliarello) and Caterina (Costa?) who were spouses when they were alive.
Bride: Sebastiana Ippolito, legitimate and natural daughter of deceased Saverio Ippolito and Maria Volpe.
Witnesses: Don Nicola Alfano and Don Francesco Agro'

Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thanks Erudita. It looks like Saverio actually starts with an "X" on the church document. Could it be Xavier? What is the Latin spelling of Calogero? I've seen several Calogero descendants, but not Carlo descendants.
Is February 7,1785 just an announcement date and not their wedding date?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Feb 7 1785 is the actual marriage date. Saverio is correct Italian translation of the Latin name Xaverius.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

CALOGERO in latin Is CALOGERUS (meaning "beautiful elder") Peter
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

One more question on the marriage date. On the top of the record, the year 1785 is followed by the number 3. What does that mean? I thought it stood for the 3rd of February, but you are saying the wedding date is February 7.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I guess I do have another question. The last name translation was listed as Puma Pagliarello. Should it be Pagliarello Puma? The descendants of these people were Pagliarello Puma, then just Puma.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The name in the record is as I typed it-Puma Pagliarello.

You might find the following website helpful-some Latin first names with their Italian equivalents:

http://www.termini-imerese.org/LatinTransalations.htm

Also no need to have posted the 1717 record again. Have seen and enlarged it, but am still struggling with the names in it. I'm sure the other translators have seen it as well and might be having difficulty with it too. I'm hoping that, if I keep studying it, the names will pop out at me. I see the brides' parents first names, but can't decipher the mother's surname. Also can't make out the groom's parents' names at all. The date was June 27, 1717 and the banns of marriage were on the 16th, 17th, and 18th of May and resulted in no impediments to the marriage. The bride was the legitimate and natural daughter of deceased Giacobbe (Giacomo-Jacob) and living Stefana la Longo. Witnesses were Didaci d'Agro and Antonino (possibly Bartolomeo is his surname).

Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

For the women on this record, it appeared to me that both a maiden surname and a husband's surname were given together as one name matched the husband's surname and the other was definitely another surname which I assume is the actual maiden name. I never see that on Italian civil records except for the Puma-Pagliarello connection on so many of my ancestor's names. Now, Italian civil records list the last name as the first name, followed by middle and first names. so in this case, since the Puma name is followed by the Pagliarello name, would Puma be the actual last name to put on the family tree?