CALEO Angela, Married a PITTORINO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

CALEO Angela, Married a PITTORINO

Post by Chez.AU »

Hello,

Just joined up and already love the layout of this site, especially that it has provision to post messages.

I am trying to find out more info about my paternal great grandparents and their son. Sadly, I have very little information:

# Angela CALEO dob 1861, possibly Leni, Salina (Aeolian Islands). Deceased Geelong, Victoria, Australia 19.07.1942
#Gaetano PITTORINO, dob unknown. Place of birth - possibly Aeolian Islands.
Occupation - Merchant. Deceased somewhere in Italy, possibly Aeolian Islands.

Date of their marriage - unknown

Angela and Gaetano had 2 children that I know of. My grandmother Maria Francesco PITTORINO b. 1891, and a son. Sadly, there is no info. at all on this son.

The story I recall being told was that Maria and her fiancee (Francesco PICONE b. Leni, Salina), were emigrating to Australia. The son of Angela was emigrating to USA. Angela had to choose whether to go with her daughter or her son. She chose to move to Australia with her daughter. The son was never heard of again.

However, we all know family stories passed down can become embellished, so without facts I am really none the wiser.

If the above info. rings bells for anyone I'd be more than happy to hear from you. I have tried searching unsuccessfully for documents etc for Angela PITTORINO in the hope it may provide some details of this son. Having said that, I am very much the novice in terms of genealogy research ;)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: CALEO Angela, Married a PITTORINO

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Birth record of Maria Francesco Pittorino
INDEX#43
1891 Oct 22nd in the town of Salina hamlet Leni birth of Maria Francesco Pittorino daughter of Gaetano Pittorino age 35 sailor and Angela Calaio
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179184001
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (505).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Thankyou so much! all I need to do now is learn Italian to read it ;) How interesting, it has Gaetano listed as a sailor. Now I'm full of questions ;)
Could he have been a merchant sailor? as I have him as a merchant.
How can I gain info. on the marriage of Angela Caleo and Gaetano Pittorino? or their birth details?
Could Caleo also be spelt Calaio??
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In the birth act the wifes name is Angela Calaio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth act of Giovanni Pittorino (brother of Maria)
INDEX#45
1889 Dec 10th in the town of Salina hamlet Leni birth of Giovanni Pittorino son of Gaetano Pittorino sailor and Angela Calaio
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179173901
record-image (506).jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

I don't know how to thank you Adelfio for what you have found for me, especially details of the brother, Giovanni.

How would you suggest I go about finding more information on Giovanni, who the family believe went to America (unconfirmed), and also his parents Angela Caleo & Gaetano Pittorino?

While looking for information I have seen the name Caleo & Calaio together (Caleo/Calaio) on many sites. I am guessing this suggests it can be spelt either way?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage publication of Gaetano Pittorino and Angela Calaio
INDEX#6
1885 July 14th in the town of Salina hamlet of Leni marriage banns of Gaetano Pittorino age 29 sailor resides in Salina hamlet of Leni son of Gaetano Pittorino age 70 landowner and Francesca Virgona to be married to Angela Calaio age 25 resides in Salina hamlet of Leni daughter of Giovanni Calaio and Angela Pittorino

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179126601

record-image (507).jpg
They were married 1885 Dec 19th
PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179048402

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

They were born in Valdichiesa suburb of Leni and baptized in the church of S. Giuseppe
Birth record of Gaetano Pittorino
INDEX#13
1856 June 22nd in the town of Valdichiesa birth of Gaetano Pittorino son of Gaetano Pittorino age 40 farmer and Francesca Virgona age 30
PG LINK TO RECORD

Birth of Angela Calaio
INDEX#26
1860 Sept 22nd in the town of Valdichiesa birth of Angela Calaio daughter of Giovanni Calaio age 30 farmer and Angela Pittorino age 30
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

My goodness!! I can't believe the records you have found for me, thankyou so very, very much! I would never have found them especially given I (sadly) do not speak Italian.

Was it custom to name the children with the same names as the parents? so confusing. I'm now wondering if they were related (that thought is just a bit uncomfortable!) ;). However, I imagine it was not at all uncommon in such a small village on such a small island.

Is there some way I can find out if CALAIO and CALEO are in fact the same? i.e. Could the spelling of Caleo been adopted as an English alternative? I've unsuccessfully tried to research this also.

I have a cousin that I know is going to hotly debate these documents are in fact ours, given the different spelling

Also, can you suggest anywhere online where I could have all these documents interpreted?

Again, many many thanks! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a book titled Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford R. Cole which is an easy read with many illustrations and photos of documents and indices. It is. at once, a primer and a reference book which will dispel and explain Italian genealogy in a manner that makes people interested and knowledgeable about the subject. There is an article in this very website (see top rim for articles) about naming traditions in Italy. Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Then name is actually spelled Calaio' with a accent mark. The Calaio name was mostly likely changed to Caleo through transfer of personal info on civil records.(My name Adelfio was changed 4 times) On both early records in Italy (before 1866) and later records (1866-1910) it is spelled Calaio'. These are your relatives and they come from the small towns of Valdichiesa and Leni the name Calaio is right. As I researched the civil records of Valdichiesa and Leni the name Caleo was not even listed in the indexes of the birth or marriage records.
As far as naming patten there is probally another Gaetano Pittorino before those two in your line
somewhere
Angela Pittorino might be related they were small towns

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Parents of Gaetano Pittorino

Death record of Gaetano Pittorino
INDEX#11
1900 Mar 29th in the town of Leni death of Gaetano Pittorino age 83 sailor born in Leni (abt 1817) son of deceased Bartolo Pittorino sailor and deceased Giuseppa De Fina husband of deceased Francesca Virgona
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179082901

record-image (510).jpg
Death record of Francesca Virgona
INDEX#17
1890 Dec 16th in the town of Leni death of Francesca Virgona age 70(abt 1820)born in Leni daughter of deceased Antonino Virgona and deceased Giovanna Orlando husband of Gaetano Pittorino
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179082901

record-image (509).jpg
Marty

Marty
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Thankyou all again for finding all this information. This is just wonderful! thankyou
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Is there any record of the death of Gaetano Pittorino b. 2.06.1856, husband of Angela Calaio? With many thanks to those on this site I have his birth record (above) but I cannot seem to find any record of his death. I've been busy the last few days, but I think I have my head around all the info. you have found now. Just incredible that you have located my ancestors dating back to approx 1790!

Thanks Peter for that book reference, I found it in hard cover I'm enquiring now if it is also in paperback.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What year did Angela Calaio come to Australia for the death records online of Leni only go to 1910

Marty

Marty