1880 Atti di Nascita - Giuseppe Mulé

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Yet another son of Placido Mule' and Maria Grazia Fruscione.

Looking forward to any information this record may have to share.

-Thomas
Attachments
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1880 Atti di Nascita - Giuseppe Mulé

Post by erudita74 »

Dated Feb 18, 1880 at 11 a.m.
Declarant is Placido Mule', age 58, fieldworker. He reported that on the 15th at 4 P.M. a son named Giuseppe was born to his wife Maria Grazia Fruscione, age 38, who was living with her husband. The birth took place in the house on via Maggiore. Witnesses were Cataldo Scartala (sp?),age 70, a manual laborer, and Carmelo Favata, age 59, a servant

I am not sure about the surname of the witness Cataldo. Can't find it anywhere.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote: Witnesses were Cataldo Scartala (sp?),age 70, a manual laborer, and Carmelo Favata, age 59, a servant
I am not sure about the surname of the witness Cataldo. Can't find it anywhere.
Erudita
Cataldo's surname is possibly Scarlata? The name appears in the town.
Angela
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Could the mother surname be in fact Guccione? The first letter loooks a lot like the initial G in Grazia, and not at all like the F of Febbraro
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks, Paola. I was considering the surname starting with a G but then found that none close in spelling starting with that letter existed in this town. I do, however, think you are correct that Maria Grazia's surname is Guccione and not Fruscione. If that is indeed the case, then I gather that she was not from this town, as the surname Guccione is not in any of the indices from the earliest online online records in the 1860s. So either it existed in this town prior to that time period, or Maria Grazia was born somewhere else. If she was from another town, then her marriage to Placido would also probably be found in some other town. There are earlier microfilmed records for Villalba but unfortunately those are not currently online. Thomas, I do apologize. BTW, I do see the surname Scarlata in the indices.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas
I found a death record for Placido.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244347901

Dated July 20, 1892, he died yesterday (on the 19th) at 4:30 P.M. in the house on via Maggiore. He was a 70 year old farmer who had been born in Villalba. He was the son of deceased Vincenzo Mule' and dec Anna Biondillo. Both had lived in the town when they were alive. He was the husband of Grazia Guccione. (in this record, I think her surname is clearer).

Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Erudita / Paola -

Thank you for catching the error in Maria Grazia's maiden name. I just went back and looked at the four records I have posted and agree that the first letter of the surname matched the capital G's of the same hand writing that can be seen in Grazia, Guiseppe, and Giovanni that are also in their corresponding records.

Can I also ask if you are using an electronic version of the indexes for the Villalba records? I have just been working my way page by page through the unindexed records I found in the card catalog on Ancestry.com. So far I have done the even years from 1866 to 1884. This evening I was planning to work through the odd years (I only did that to break up the work and make two more manageable tasks).

-Thomas
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Erudita -

Wow. While I was looking at the other records to compare G's and then replied to this thread I missed that you found Placido's death record. Thank you so much for digging that up. My next project after finding all the birth records I could, was to begin to work my way through the death records for corresponding names that I had established.

These last few days have been amazingly productive, and a large part of that goes to you.

Thanks again.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas
I started looking at death indices with the year1883 in the section which has death records from1866 to 1910. I just estimated to find the index for the next year and so on. I started with every 30 images and sometimes had to adjust that number up. Anyway, I can give you the image numbers for the death indices which I found in this group:

image 761 of 1779-index for 1883 deaths
image 803 for 1884
image 846 for 1885
image 876 for 1886
image 919 for 1887
image 978 for 1888
image 1018 for 1889
image 1064 for 1890
image 1105 for 1891
image 1148 for 1892
image 1185 for 1893
image 1227 for 1894
image 1272 for 1895
image 1305 for 1896
image 1350 for 1897
image 1384 for 1898
image 1433 for 1899
image 1467 for 1900
image 1499 for 1901
image 1532 for 1902
image 1560 for 1903
image 1593 for 1904
image 1623 for 1905
image 1650 for 1906
image 1679 for 1907
image 1715 for 1908
image 1742 for 1909
image 1775 for 1910

There is no death record for Maria Grazia up to 1910. I checked all the indices for both the letters F and G. So she died after that year, but she did appear to be younger than Placido.

I haven't checked the records though for any Mule' in the indices, but did notice in the 1902 index that there was a Rosa Mule' who was Placido's sister. I'll give you that info in a while. I think that since we know that Placido died in 1892, it might be possible that Maria Grazia remarried, so I think that is the next thing to search.

Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Actually, I have found that Maria Grazia died in Trenton, NJ in 1930.

She was living with her son Angelo Mule' two weeks before her death, but in the 1930 census she was listed as Mother-in-Law. I had flagged this when I found it because she was listed as M. Grazia Mule' (widow) and Angelo was head of household. Given the information I have now, and the same approximate birth year given with the birth of her sons and the year in the census, I assume that Angelo's wife Rosina (Mosca) Mule' was the person who answered the census taker's questions and referred to Maria Grazia as her mother-in-law.

Thanks again for the image link cheat sheet.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome, again, Thomas. So do you have a copy of her death record? That could have the place where she was born on it. I was hoping that, if she married again, we would get her place of birth from that record, but now I guess not.

I have something I have to take care of now offline and then will be back later to give you the translation of the death record of Rosa Mule. In the 1902 death index, unlike most of the others, the father's name was given in the index, which is why I searched for that record. You'll have to check the other Mule' you see listed in those indices in case any others are related to your ancestry.

Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Erudita -

I do not have a copy of her death record. I only know of her death from a newspaper article that I found when searching for information on Angelo Mule'. She unfortunately died from injuries after falling down the stairs at Angelo's home on Hudson Street in Trenton, NJ.

I look forward to the information on Placido's sister Rosa Mule'. Just putting in the information of her name, year of death and residence in Villalba has given me a match on Ancestry of a Rosa Mule', daughter of Vincenzo Mule and Anna Viondolillo, born in Villalba in 1828, with the husband of Gandolfo Totaro, born in 1829 in Vallelunga Pratameno, Caltanissetta, Sicilia, Italy.

If the details in Rosa's death record match that information, I may have just found a whole family of cousins living in the same area where I grew up that none of my living relatives know of.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

oops, we were posting at the same time

Do you have her on the passenger list from Villalba? listed as a widow-

http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger

• First Name : Maria Grazia
• Last Name : Guccione
• Nationality : Italy, Italian
• Last Place of Residence : Villalba
• Date of Arrival : May 31st, 1900
• Age at Arrival : 58y
• Marital Status : Widowed
• Ship of Travel : Manilla
• Port of Departure : NAPOLI
• Manifest Line Number : 0010

She was traveling with 4 Mule' children: Giuseppe, 19, Carolina 25, Maddalena, 17, and Santa 13 destination to son Salvatore Mule at 260 Elisabeth St in NY

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, that is the right husband for Rosa Mule'

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244347901

Death record # 64 is dated August 24, 1902 but she died on the 23rd in the house on via Grande (either #77 or #22-not sure). She was age 74 and the daughter of dec Vincenzo (Mule') and dec Anna Biondolillo. She was the widower of Gandolfo Totaro (in this record, his name is spelled with a t and not a d). I found a Salvatore Totaro who died in 1895-see his name in that index and his name was also spelled as Totaro and not Todaro).

Sorry but I see I spelled Placido's mother's maiden name incorrectly when I did the translation of his record. It's spelled correctly now.

Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

This is amazing. I really can't thank you enough for pointing me to all these resources.

The families of three of my four grandparents have been in the United States since the early 1600's to early 1700's. This side of my family is the first time I have needed to consult records outside of the US, so the knowledge you are sharing is all new to me.

What I am working on now is my maternal grandmother's family. Her mother was the daughter of Angelo Mule' and Rosina Mosca from Villalbra. Her father was John Ranco (originally Giovanni Rauco) from Leonessa.

My grandmother doesn't really know to much about her family before their arrival in the US. Her father, the oldest of four children, was orphaned at about the age of 10 shortly after arriving in the US in the early 1900's. She was also kept away from the Mule' side as a kid because as she put it, "they were all thugs and gangsters". I have since confirmed this to be partially true as one of Angelo's sons (my grandmother's uncle) was executed in NJ after being convicted of murder.

-Thomas