Who are the parents of Padre Puma 1926-2008 - Racalmuto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Who are the parents of Padre Puma 1926-2008 - Racalmuto

Post by rp76226 »

Padre Alfonso Puma, 1926-2008, was a priest in Raclamuto, Agrigento, Sicily for 50 years. Per a contact who worked for Padre Puma, I found out that his brother was Salvatore Puma (1920-2007), an opera tenor who sang internationally. That contact no longer works for the parish and says she can no longer help me. She gave me enough information to confirm that the brothers are my third cousins.
I have the Racalmuto birth certificate of Salvatore Puma showing his parents to be Calogero Pagliarello Puma and Maria Carmela Palermo. I also have their June 18, 1919 marriage record from Racalmuto. There is a Giglia website that visited Padre Puma and mentioned that Padre Puma's mother was a Morreale. That would seem to indicate that Maria Palermo died and Calogero Puma re-married a Morreale. I have been unable to obtain any records indicating that.
Also, all attempts to contact the Giglia website (http://www.giglia.org/Stories/charliesstory.html) through the webmaster email address on the site result in the emails not being delivered.
I have found obituaries and newspaper articles of both brothers, but none of them mention their parents, which seems strange especially for obituaries. You would think that an obituary would be a treasure chest of family information. Since these brothers were public figures, I'm hoping that someone could find the information on Padre Puma yielding the names of his parents.
Though I do not have the birth certificate of Padre Puma, his date of birth was given to me as November 21, 1926 and death was January 2, 2008. His brother Salvatore was born on May 6, 1920 and died on April 15, 2007
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Who are the parents of Padre Puma 1926-2008 - Racalmuto

Post by liviomoreno »

You may request Alfonso's birth record to the "Ufficio di Stato Civile", in Racalmuto.
Email: statocivile@comune.racalmuto.ag.it

Ask for a "copia integrale dell'atto di nascita".
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I tried that but never got a response. I have sent off another email today.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Racalmuto finally came through and sent me the birth record confirmation of Padre Alfonso Puma. His mother was Maria Carmela Palermo (the same as his opera tenor brother, Salvatore born in 1920) and not a Morreale as the Giglia website that won't take messages indicated.