Need help translating handwritten marriage record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mbarboza

Need help translating handwritten marriage record

Post by mbarboza »

Greetings!

I am working on tracking down my Sicilian relatives, mostly using familysearch.org. Right now I am trying to gather more information about my great-great-grandfather, Rosolino D'Amico. This ancestor has proven to be challenging. I didn't find much until I began browsing the collection images themselves at familysearch.org. I found his name in the index of a matrimony record, but when I found the correct record page with the proper year and record number to match the index, the record contained his wife's name, but not his! Instead it looks as if another man's name is written where the groom should be! I'm wondering if there is a mistake in the record. The year (1874) and record number (#90) are a match with the index page, "Rosolino D'Amico" is very clearly written on the index page, and his wife's name, Francesca Ferlisi, is very clearly written on the record page! I'm hoping someone would be willing to translate this marriage entry for me. Who is this strange man whose name seems to be written next to Francesca's? Why don't the index and record match? I have attached a jpg of the index page (1874, #90) and also the matrimony record (pages 1 and 2). I would be so very grateful for any help you all would be willing to offer me.

Thanks!

P.S. The attached files don't seem to be making it onto my post for some reason. So here are links:

index page: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... ,248448002

matrimony record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... ,248448002
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Need help translating handwritten marriage record

Post by liviomoreno »

The matrimony record has the wrong year, 1973 instead of 1974. The correct record is here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,248448002
mbarboza

Post by mbarboza »

liviomoreno wrote:The matrimony record has the wrong year, 1973 instead of 1974. The correct record is here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,248448002
Thank you so much! I can't believe I missed that! I was being so careful!

It looks like you've done some really beautiful work with your genealogy. Thank you for sharing it. :)

I am still interested in help translating this record of matrimony. It's difficult for me to use an online translation tool because of the ornate handwritten script. Would you be willing to help me?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

the key genealogical data are:

Marriage date: Lercara Friddi, 1874 Nov 22, 8pm
Groom: Rosolino Damico, born in 1847, aged 27, professsion sulfur-miner, son of deceased Stefano and deceased Maria Morello
Bride: Francesca Ferlisi, born in 1853, aged 21, profession "civile" (housewife), daughter of Antonino, professsion sulfur-miner and of Carmela Maccaro?, farmer.
mbarboza

Post by mbarboza »

liviomoreno wrote:the key genealogical data are:

Marriage date: Lercara Friddi, 1874 Nov 22, 8pm
Groom: Rosolino Damico, born in 1847, aged 27, professsion sulfur-miner, son of deceased Stefano and deceased Maria Morello
Bride: Francesca Ferlisi, born in 1853, aged 21, profession "civile" (housewife), daughter of Antonino, professsion sulfur-miner and of Carmela Maccaro?, farmer.
Thanks! Can you also tell me who "Salvatore Marino, son of Pietro" is in the record? And also "Ciro Ferlisi, son of Emmanuele?"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

They are the witnesses to the marriage
mbarboza

Post by mbarboza »

I see. Thanks again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Livio
I've never seen the word "civile" translated as "housewife;" only as "landowner."

Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Erudita,
"civile" is a very generic term to indicate that the person does not have a specific profession and do not need to work for a living, thus landowner or property owner. Usually 'civile' is used for males.
In this case we have a young "female", daughter of a miner and a peasant-farmer, who has no specific job. My personal interpretation is that she cannot be a "landowner", but rather she was taking care of the house, hence a "casalinga".
I might be wrong...
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks, Livio
Erudita