Desperately Need Help! Aprigliano ancestors.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lainey

Desperately Need Help! Aprigliano ancestors.

Post by Lainey »

Hi all, I'm new here. I've been trying to figure out my maternal grandfather's family tree, and I'm lost. Some background:

My grandpa, Guido Petrone was born in 1915, to Vito Antonio Petrone and Pasqualina Calvelli. I did not know about the "Vito" part of my great-grandfather's name until I saw it in a newspaper article. But it appears to be correct.

My cousin, who is my grandpa's sister's daughter, told me that Antonio's parents were named Luciano Petrone and Giovanna Fragiorgio. However, I'm not sure that's correct. I entered my tree as far as I knew it into FamilySearch.org, and it automatically came up with a different set of parents for Antonio--Gaetano Maria Petrone and Maria Francesca Stumpo.

Complicating matters further is that Cosenza records website that just opened up again. I did find a Luciano Petrone and a Giovannina Fiorito. So kind of close to what I was told. But I still don't know.

How can I determine which parents for Antonio are correct??? It's driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Desperately Need Help! Aprigliano ancestors.

Post by adelfio »

First thing I would do is get Guido Petrone birth act then the parents marriage act to verify your research send email How did you get the marriage date of Vito being 1901 Mar 26th if this is right change the date on the marriage act request I made it 1906-1912
before Franceschina Petrone 1913 birthdate
Comune di Aprigliano
Via Discesa Nettuno,7-Vico
87051 Aprigliano (CS)

Email: anagrafe.aprigliano@libero.it

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Guido Petrone

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Aprigliano. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Guido Petrone
Nome e cognome del padre: Vito Petrone
Nome e cognome della madre: Pasqualina Calvelli
Luogo di nascita: Aprigliano
Data di nascita: 1915
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di matrimonio o l’estratto completo dell’atto di matrimonio di Vito Petrone e Pasqualina Calvelli
Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Aprigliano. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di matrimoni di queste persone:
Nome e cognome del marito: Vito Petrone
Nome e cognome della moglie: Pasqualina Calvelli
Luogo di matrimonio: Aprigliano
Data di matrimonio: 1906-1912
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

What's the town in Cosenza?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

rjmichaels wrote:What's the town in Cosenza?
It says in the post
Re: Desperately Need Help! Aprigliano ancestors

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Oops! Sorry! I read that as a surname they were looking for; makes sense that it wasn't listed as a named person in the post now.

In that case, LDS has microfilm for Aprigliano from 1809-1910:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library (If this link does not work, just search for the town in the catalog).

Ray
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Thank you for the responses! I didn't realize my post had been approved yet until just now, sorry!

Marty, is that the email I should send them? Both parts at once, or two emails? If so, thank you so much! I have no idea what it says, though, lol.

I can't remember where I got the marriage date for Vito Antonio and Pasqualina. I don't know if it's correct.

Why do I have to send photo id?
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

rjmichaels wrote:Oops! Sorry! I read that as a surname they were looking for; makes sense that it wasn't listed as a named person in the post now.

In that case, LDS has microfilm for Aprigliano from 1809-1910:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library (If this link does not work, just search for the town in the catalog).

Ray
So, I'd have to order it and then go to one of their centres? Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes, you can order online now and will receive an e-mail when the film(s) ship and when received. It is $7.50 per film and the loan period is three months from the day shipped. It usually takes about two weeks to receive a film after you order it (unless it is backordered).
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

I sent an email inquiring about my Grandpa Guido's birth, but no answer. I did not send picture ID, because I don't understand why that's required.

I am told that my great-grandma and great-grandpa had a few children before my grandpa's eldest sibling--but that they died. I would like to see if I can find information on them. Is that possible?

Are there researchers in Cosenza that could help me?
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

The films exist. It's just a matter of ordering them, viewing, and processing the information. This might seem like a daunting task and it is overwhelming at first, but all of these records (especially post-1875) are on pre-printed forms. I only speak English but have been able to conduct research and process information in records in Italian, German, French, Latin, and Swedish.

Actually, looking back through, I see that Grandpa Guido was born in 1915. The microfilm stops in 1910. Do you have a birth date? The problem with sending inquiries to the comune is that it usually takes a long time to get a response, if you even get one. I have a researcher in Catanzaro (same province, Calabria). If you wanted, I could give you her contact information to determine the quickest way to find this record. Once you have his, you will be able to easily conduct the research on your own using the microfilm available. Honestly, I would give it at least a month to see if they respond.
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Oops, sorry, I wasn't clear--I meant I sent an email to the above address where Marty was kind enough to give me a template in Italian. I will do as you said and give it a month. I suppose in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to sent the request for the parents' marriage record.

Are the LDS microfilm records searchable? Or do you have to look through them manually? I have never been to one of their centres. I know there's one around here somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. I don't know what to expect and that makes me a little nervous!

Grandpa Guido's birthdate was July 13, 1915.

I would love to have the contact information of your researcher, if you think she could help. Does she do research in Cosenza, by any chance? Thanks!
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

The films are easily searchable. You have to go through them manually but many times you will find an index at the end of the year. I will PM you about my researcher.

Ray
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

They want to know who there sending civil documents too that why the photo id black out your numbers on your id. Send both emails after you get your response then go to the films for your research. You don't need a researcher. Read these links

FAMILY HISTORY LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

ORDERING FILMS FROM FHL
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

ABOUT ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

ONLINE CLASS FOR TRANSLATING ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

In searching Italian civil records you have birth(nati) death(morte) marriage (matrimoni) by year most go from 1866-1910 some towns have other years. Indexes are found at the beginning or end of the year you are searching by index number and surname.There are also multi year indexes which combine 5 or 10 years of indexes
Babies are born then presented to the civil official of the town usually within a few days of birth for entry in the birth registry. If there is a problem and they cant register the birth act until much later they are entered in the Parte 2 for that year usually in the rear of the records and that record is usually handwritten. Sometimes there are sidenotes with marriage or death information or if the act has a mistake in it a correction to those mistakes
Marriage records include birth town, ages, occupations, parents names, if they are deceased
Death records have age parents if they were married and to whom and usually town of birth
Civil records are signed by the civil official and 2 witnesses not usually family members
The indexes for the churches in Italy of baptism and marriage and death are arranged by first name first (later years last name first) by year and date of the act and page and record number. Just find your person in the index and go back to the records to find the act you

Marty

Marty