Would I Qualify for Dual Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Would I Qualify for Dual Citizenship?

Post by DanceDiva234 »

I've read the rules but am still confused. I have great grandparents all born in Italy. Although, when they came over they were all under the legal adult age which is said to make someone ineligible for citizenship since they would automatically be naturalized.

Although, I do have a step grandfather who I grew up with. He was born in Italy around the 1950's. He and his family moved to America around the same time. He only moved when he was 6 years old. I am sure they became American citizens but was wondering if he was just as equal in a gateway to becoming an Italian citizen since he is legally married to my grandmother and was born later than the said dates.

Thank you!
Family names: D'Attellis, Angelicola, Iarezza, Messineo, La Monica, Spero, Angelini
mler
Master
Master

Re: Would I Qualify for Dual Citizenship?

Post by mler »

I think you misunderstand the law. Minor children were not automatically naturalized. They naturalized only if their parents naturalized when they were still minors. It is, therefore, important that you do some research. You will need to determine if and when your great great grandparents naturalized to determine if a naturalization affected the status of their minor children.

It is quite possible that one or several never naturalized or did so after their children reached the age of majority. In that case you would need to check the dates of naturalization for your great grandparents. And, remember, you only need one line that works.

Your stepgrandfather's line does not seem viable. If he emigrated from Italy in 1950 as a child, it is likely he became an American citizen long before he entered your life.
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

That makes more sense. Could you direct me to a website other than ancestry.com where I could search for Naturalization records?
Family names: D'Attellis, Angelicola, Iarezza, Messineo, La Monica, Spero, Angelini
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

I found my great grandmother's Naturalization and it says that she didn't become naturalized until 1946. I could hardly find one for my great grandfather. I guess that means I am eligible. Although I need to know if those who are drafted into WWI or WWII are considered naturalized. As far as I know, my great grandfather may have been. Or did they forgo that and make every man be drafted during the time period despite not being an American citizen?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

There are a lot of subtleties in the law. Because women could not pass citizenship before 1948, it is easier to apply through the male line. (However, 1948 cases are now routinely accepted by going through Italian courts.).

The information you have is minimal. Try to obtain the years of naturalization and birth so that we can better determine the best line to use.

For citizenship information, visit: http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

Serving in the U.S. Military had no bearing on Italian citizenship.
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

I've figured out that my great grandfather never gave up Italian citizenship. He died an Italian citizen in America. I would obtain it through his line. Thank you for the answers! It helped me a lot!