Need help with an Italian birth!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Need help with an Italian birth!!!

Post by Mardi »

Hello to all,
I am in need of an Italian birth. I have come across many different parents for -
Bernardo Trombatore, born December 15, 1833, in Corleone, Palermo, Italy. I have his birth parents as - Nicolo Trombatore and Maria DiPalermo.
He came to the United States in the 1800's with his wife (maiden name was Tomsella, but not sure) and daughter. Don't know much more then that.
I was told that he lived in Louisiana and then settled in California.
Bernardo passed away on April 15, 1897

I hope I have given enough information. Any help will truly be appreciated.
Mardi
kevin jackson

guido f rossi

Post by kevin jackson »

Hello I am looking to learn more about guido f rossi. He was an Italian officer in world war 1
kevin jackson
kevinjackson1954@gmail.com
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help with an Italian birth!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the baptism of Bernardo Trombatore on 15 December 1833 in Corleone at the Church of San Martino.

Child born to Nicolo Trombatore and Maria di Palermo
Godparents appear to be Vincenzo and Francesca Geraci

6th one down on the left
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351550801

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thank you so much Tessa....I am going to go out on a limb on this one.

Is there any way you can find who Bernardo Trombatore married in Italy. He came to USA and was traveling with his wife and Daughter. I only know that his daughter was name Brazilla. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.
Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I searched for the daughter's baptism and birth record using the US information for her death. It indicated that her birth date was 27 July 1881... looked from June to early August in 1881 and 1880 in the church baptism records. Did not find her. Will check the civil records.

It is possible that Brazilla (written Brizillia Reina on the death index record) was born in another town, and not in Corleone. Do you have a marriage record for her? I have found a marriage of her son which lists her husband's name as Jack Reina(o).

Am also searching the marriage records in Corleone for the years before 1881. May take a while. :)

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Tessa, Brazilla did marry Giacomo [Jacob] Reina. On Brizzilla (as written on her USA Declaration of intention), it is stated she was born July 27, 1881 in Palermo Italy. Also stated she emigrated to the USA from Palermo, Italy entered at New York, NY, it says under the name of Brizilla Reina, Dec. 1881...but she came with her parents, She was just a child. Hope some of this information helps....thanks a bunch.
Mardi
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Hope I have given enough information in finding/locating Bernardo Trombatore spouse, all I have is a last name of Tomsella. I only have the one daughter that was born in Italy. Two other sons Joseph Bernard and Jacob Michael were born in USA. If the family arrived here in Dec. of 1881, and I have Bernardo as death date of April 15, 1897 there should be a 1900, 1910 with the mother and her 3 children.
Thanks for the help.
Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Mardi wrote:Hope I have given enough information in finding/locating Bernardo Trombatore spouse, all I have is a last name of Tomsella. I only have the one daughter that was born in Italy. Two other sons Joseph Bernard and Jacob Michael were born in USA. If the family arrived here in Dec. of 1881, and I have Bernardo as death date of April 15, 1897 there should be a 1900, 1910 with the mother and her 3 children.
Thanks for the help.
Mardi
I have not yet found anything more about the family. I thought I might find a publication of marriage banns for Bernardo even if he married in another city.
I have not been able to locate an arrival manifest for the wife and children. I suspect the children may be listed under the mother's surname on the manifest, though I have searched on the surname you provided and variations. Have also seached for Brazilia (and variations) with no success.

I have found some records for Joseph Trombatore in California, but have not been able to connect to your family since there are no first names on the records...

Will continue to search.

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

[quote][/quote]I have not yet found anything more about the family. I thought I might find a publication of marriage banns for Bernardo even if he married in another city.
I have not been able to locate an arrival manifest for the wife and children. I suspect the children may be listed under the mother's surname on the manifest, though I have searched on the surname you provided and variations. Have also seached for Brazilia (and variations) with no success.

I have found some records for Joseph Trombatore in California, but have not been able to connect to your family since there are no first names on the records...

Will continue to search.

T.

Thank you Tessa, This is one family that seems to have no records to be found, before or upon their arrival. Thought I could find something with the Census.
I do appreciate your continue to search.

Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I have located a Declaration of Intent (to naturalize) from 1890 in California for a Ben Trombatore. Age is about 32... (a relative??)
Unfortunately, these early ones do not list much more that country of origin, port of departure and arrival date and port....
Arrival in Louisiana from port of Palermo on 6 December 1881.

Bottom record in the image.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1193/30 ... 2724-00261

On same day, in same court in California... filing by Joseph Trombatore, age 45...
Possibly the brother/cousin of Ben?
The notation to correct arrival of 13 Januaryy 1890 on the record indicates his arrival in 1879 (according to his Dec of Int)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1193/30 ... 2724-00260

here is Joseph's Declaration of Intent - his arrival is actually listed as 11 July 1899!
Joseph's DOB 22 January 1878 in Corleone. (Could this be Bernardo's son???)
Will see if I can find a birth record...
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1554/30 ... sePUB=true

EDIT TO ADD***

Found a baptism for Giuseppe Trombatore, in Corleone on 24 January 1878
Parents: Bernardo Trombatore and Liboria Timpa
Godmother: Antonina Costa

Next to last on right side of image
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351275901

WWI Registration Card for Joseph Trombatore - same DOB as above
In 1918 he was residing at 2678 Pasadena Ave. (Los Angeles)
Supporting his wife, 4 children and mother.
Perhaps finding a Census for Joseph will at least give us a first name for mother... :-)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... sePUB=true

EUREKA!!! Looks like we have some indication of mother's name!!
Looks like it might "match" the surname in the baptism record above...
From the SSDI for Joseph Trombatore
Joseph Trombatore in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Joseph Trombatore
SSN: 551289353
Race: White
Birth Date: 22 Jan 1878
Birth Place: Italy
Father Name: Bernard Trombatore
Mother Name: Bernice Tempa

Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Dec 1939: Name listed as JOSEPH TROMBATORE

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

[quote][/quote]EUREKA!!! Looks like we have some indication of mother's name!!
Looks like it might "match" the surname in the baptism record above...
From the SSDI for Joseph Trombatore
Joseph Trombatore in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Joseph Trombatore
SSN: 551289353
Race: White
Birth Date: 22 Jan 1878
Birth Place: Italy
Father Name: Bernard Trombatore
Mother Name: Bernice Tempa
Type of Claim: Original SSN.

Tessa...Strange as it may seem, I am searching for two different Bernardo Trombatore families and they both have sons Joseph....this was is the other family I am searching and was looking for the correct name for Joseph's mother. I had Liboria [Bernice] but was missing the surname. It gets very confusing when both families have Bernardo and sons Joseph....and they are not connected to each other.
You have been great and patience in searching this family for me You have provided the Naturalization Record Joseph Trombatore, who is the brother of Maria Rosa Trombatore that has the vessel he was on entering New Orleans July 11, 1899. ORBITA, now I have something to search for. Hope I find some Trombatore's. According to my records, his parents stayed in Italy.
You are a GEM and appreciate all you have done.

Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

So.... this Bernardo of the unknown spouse... what year was he born? Is he the 1833, or another date?

And the "other" Joseph - a year of birth for him?

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Tessa78 wrote:So.... this Bernardo of the unknown spouse... what year was he born? Is he the 1833, or another date?

And the "other" Joseph - a year of birth for him?

T.
Tessa: this Bernardo is Bernardo Trombatore (Trombaturi - Trombatori) [Do not have his parents] born January 21, 1835, Corleone, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy Died April 5, 1897, Corleone, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy he married Liboria [Bernice] Timbo/Timpa (you for her surname)
One of their children: Joseph Trombatore born January 22, 1878, Corleone, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy (he is the one you found US Naturalization Record.
Maria Rosa Trombatore his sibling,is the one I am looking for her ship arrival (I have posted on another forum). Hope this explains the two. It will make your head spin...HA! Thank you.
Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ok. According to your first and last posts above...
Bernardo, DOB 15 December 1833, died in USA 15 April 1897.
AND
Bernardo, DOB 22 January 1835, died Italy 5 April 1897.
Yes?
Will continue to search. :-)

EDIT TO ADD

Church record #101
Death In Corleone of Bernardo Trumbaturi, burial on 15 April 1897.
Age 62. Son of Lorenzo Trumbaturi and Calogera Vecchio.
Husband of Liboria Timpa.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351085401

A daughter, Rosa, of Bernardino and Liboria, baptized 20 October 1882
Church record #562
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351280701

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In addition to the records above, I located this baptism.... something to consider.

Perhaps Brazilia was actually Blasia. :-)

Here is a baptism, dated 20 July 1881, in Corleone
Blasia Trombaturi, daughter of Bernardo Trombaturi and of Paola Accumanno.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351280701

AND***

From the California Marriage Index - Sam Trombatore

Father: Bernardino Trombatore
Mother: Pauline Acomanda [Accumanno?]

Pauline Acomanda
mentioned in the record of Sam Trombatore and Maria O Fratello
Name Pauline Acomanda
Gender Female
Husband Benardo Trombatore
Son Sam Trombatore
Other information in the record of Sam Trombatore and Maria O Fratello