Question - Posts with no responses

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master

Question - Posts with no responses

Post by vj »

General question,

I've been taking time to read a lot of the posts and responses on all of these forums. I'm not new to forums, I just want to do it correctly when I post (and I don't want to repeat a question that's already been addressed)

I've noticed several posts with no responses. Since you all do a fantastic job of contributing your time and resources, I wondered why some posts go unanswered?

Thank you, I'm in awe of your knowledge and willingness to share.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Question - Posts with no responses

Post by VaDeb »

Sometimes the same or very similar question is posted in more than one place.

Sometimes (at least me) can't read the language the post is written in well enough to answer.

Sometimes a question is too hard to follow.

Some questions, on occasion, just don't need to be answered.

I think the questions left unanswered are very few.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Me personally....

I am helpless 95% of the time when it comes to helping British people with Italian ancestors, only because I don't have paid access to English records.

I seldom answer those... but certainly wish I could help.

I would also love to help the South Americans who are eager to find their Italian roots.... but I don't have access to manifests or South American records.

One or two people constantly post - and never follow up with a reply or a simple thank you... (my biggest beef) and then quickly post up another topic...

There are some who frequently post... who have spent time, money, effort, reply with follow-ups, come back with good clues and solid answers... those are my favorite posts...

You should see how many unanswered posts there are... and not by us either... I've seen the best information go down... and never to hear back..

Now - you have another post up (well written)... about the b-i-L's surname... I have been looking into it... zooming in and zooming out... squinting... and all I have to do is check the person out on Ancestry.com... which just happens to be on "routine maintenance"...

I promise to look into it further when all is quiet here... as manifests are my all time favorite...

Maria :P
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Depends on the post, as stated, some do not provide alot of basic info and it gets repititous to always ask who, what, when and where.....some do not require an answer, some are in languages not understood by all or areas of research not accesible to all......MY biggest pain are the multiple postings in more than one category .....we end up jumping back and forth and repeating research already performed, and then there are the posters who post, recieve a good solid answer and never reply...... :evil: .........all of us here do this because we love genealogy, but sometimes the search is easier than others and after spending countless hours trying to help someone, the post is never acknowledged..........
all in all. we have a great team effort here and have done some amazing work when we all pitch in........
wldspirit
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Debbie, Maria, wldspirit,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I spent a few hours last night going back further in the posts.
You are right - there are quite a few duplicates on several forums.
I noticed one repeat post solicting interpreters.
I wish I could read the ones in Italian.
One of my favorites was the question on a tattoo - the best suggestion was to correct the mis-spelling with a meaningful symbol.
It's hard to express how much I've learned from all of your responses.
A simple thank you is missing after a lot of effort & information on all of your part has been shared on a few posts. It's hard to explain why - in person I'm sure these folks would express their appreciation (e mail can be impersonal)
I guess I'm concerned about 'jumping in' to help if you all have decided that there is something wrong with the post.
I have a few paid subscriptions (NEHGS, genealogy.com, ancestry) that may contain clues, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
You all are doing a fantastic job of donating your time and knowledge.
I appreciate you, Valarie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Valerie,

This is an open forum. All responses should be welcome. I learned so much by just reading when I first started. I encourage you to feel free to respond if you have inforamation to share. I would suggest starting with the current posts. Don't waste time on the old ones - they are probably old for a reason.

Welcome aboard.

PS. My family lived in the Chase/Phillips (now Fuld St) Brunswick Ave area of Trenton and attended ST. James church. This was an Italian Catholic Church on Paul Ave. I was at a funeral there in December and found are plans to close this church and add the parish to other churches in the area. If you need any records from St. James, I would suggest writing for them now. I have always sent a donation with a request. Never know where the records go after a church closes. They will be somewhere, but maybe much harder to access.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Debbie, thanks for the suggestions.
I appreciate the note on St James. It's a good idea.
At some point the family joined the 'Italian Presbyterian Church'
It's a hoot reading about the kids in the Trenton Evening Times on Ancestry - perfect attendence in school, church pagents, etc.
Is your family in any of the Trenton directories on
http://www.trentonhistory.org/index.htm
Mine are in the 1920 version (with a few errors). I really enjoy this site especially since they added the search engine. I think this is where I read about the moving of the Roebling plant south of town and that they barred the Italians from working there.
Thank you again!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Debbie, my mistake on Roebling
the link is http://www.capitalcentury.com/1905.html
I found it on a google search for Chambersburg. I thought it was interesting as some Trenton history.
Valarie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

vj wrote:Debbie, Maria, wldspirit,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I guess I'm concerned about 'jumping in' to help if you all have decided that there is something wrong with the post.
Go for it!

Jump in... as we all win...

If you have different methods of researching people... I certainly wouldn't mind learning from you.

If something doesn't seem right please mention... most of the "posters" here do have an open mind... and would appreciate your opinion... could you imagine the hours spent on pursuing the wrong lead... wrong family??

Great topic by the way...
maria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Don't worry about "stepping on toes"........ :wink:
as stated, this is an OPEN FORUM......the best work done here is
done when it is a "group effort".......
welcome to the site!!
wldspirit
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

You would not believe the number of times I have learned something new from everyone who posts here! Many of us have different methods and sources and it make for a much better response for everyone. So don't lurk on the outside......through your thoughts into the ring!

About there being posts with no answers....I know for me, a lot of time someone will have posted at another site altogether and then find this site and post here. Often the request has been answered fully elsewhere. Most of us go to more then one genealogy site dealing with research of Italian records. So we see things, read things, and reply to things that may never come to the notice of another board...though the question is there as well.

Another thing: If you posted somewhere, got good advice on how to proceed, and help on what is available to you, and then you post again hoping someone will fill in every blank you have without any effort on your part....well.....I often ignore these. At one time, access to records was very difficult. But the Internet sources have come a long way and are quite good now and there is a lot available if you dig. And you local library is still there! People often expect the answer quickly. They get used to the fact that many here...and at other sites...can find things quickly that they have found all but impossible to find, in a short period of time. This doesn't mean, however, we can give them a complete lineage back to Noah...all this means is we know where to look to start the journey and help along the way. And, like I stated, we learn along the way as well....

For me.....a simple acknowledgement and thank you is much appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Maria, wldspirit,
Thank you for your encouragement.
As far as hunting down leads on the wrong family, oh my!
We all do that for ourselves (I hope I'm not alone in this!) It would be a total shame to spend hours helping out to only find out it was from mis-communication.
I've been working on my genealogy part time since 01. Now that I've retired recently I've been devoting a lot of my time to my mother's side of the family. We are very lucky to have her Aunt & Uncle to communicate with (they're in their late 80's).
As far as new ways to research. I read an article online on how to refine internet searches to save time. It's kinda neat if you have about an hour to go thru it. http://amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/articles_3.html
But, I pretty much grab a brick wall and dig into Census, Ship Manifests and WWI Registration. I can & do spend hours on the Steve Morse site looking for connections.
Thank you again, please call on me if I can help in any way - I can only take so much frustration working on my brick walls!
Valarie